What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial games

Kiwi

First Grade
Have to laugh at the doom and gloom in the courier mail this morning. It was a trial where our entire starting forward pack didn't play, Hunt, Hodges, Reed, Barba, and Hoffman were all absent. The only thing that concerns me is what player managers are saying, or what they are "saying" but don't want to be named. Which is funny, because they say the Broncos don't hold the same power they use to, but the player managers aren't brave enough to mouth off publically against them, says to me they know they will soon enough.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Meh. There may be some subjectivity in the lists below but I think it's pretty clear who went in with a stronger side.

Broncos

Starting 17
Copley
Kahu
Kennedy
Stagg???

Fringe
Vidot
Yow Yeh
Strasser
Granville
Lowrie
Hala
Molo

Cowboys

Starting 17
Coote
Lui
Bolton
A Sims
Taumololololo
T Sims

Fringe
Feldt
Mitchell
Kostjasyn
Thorby
Hall

Kiwi

First Grade
Meh. There may be some subjectivity in the lists below but I think it's pretty clear who went in with a stronger side.

Broncos

Starting 17
Copley
Kahu
Kennedy
Stagg???

Fringe
Vidot
Yow Yeh
Strasser
Granville
Lowrie
Hala
Molo

Cowboys

Starting 17
Coote
Lui
Bolton
A Sims
Taumololololo
T Sims

Fringe
Feldt
Mitchell
Kostjasyn
Thorby
Hall

Stagg is fringe at best. The best he can hope for is a bench spot and a starting during origin.

When you consider that the following is our strongest 17 losing is very meh and who cares TBH.

1 - Barba
2 - Copely/Vidot
3 - Hodges
4 - Reed
5 - Hoffman
6 - Strasser/Kahu
7 - Hunt
8 - Hannant
9 - McCullough
10 - McGuire
11 - Thaiday
12 - Glenn
13 - Parker

14 - Granville
15 - Oates
16 - Gillett
17 - Kennedy

Big Pete

Referee
Opening trials are more or less designed to test out individual performances than team performances, which is really the antithesis of the first grade footy as it's all about playing as a unit. So I'm not overly concerned, it sounded more like we had a few weak links in our team, they let us down and that Cowboys team was too good.

Using GTB's system, these are the players I could have seen running out for Round 1 (before injury).

Starting 17
Jordan Kahu
Dale Copley
Daniel Vidot
Martin Kennedy
Todd Lowrie

Fringe
Jake Granville
David Stagg
Zack Strasser

Cowboys

Starting 17
Lachlan Coote
Kyle Fedlt
Kane Linnett
Robert Lui
Scott Bolton
Ashton Sims
Jason Taumalolo
Tariq Sims
Cameron King

Fringe
Michael Morgan
Anthony Mitchell
Glen Hall

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Trials are also about getting rid of the cobwebs and getting some match fitness. I'm more interested in performances of individuals than the result

Country Bronco

Juniors
Not too concerned about the results in trials. The most troubling thing last night was Jordan Kahu's injury. You don't want to lose players before the year starts for an extended period of time. Last year we lost Copley in corresponding game for the year. I hope we have nothing but good news from here on.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Based on some reports on Broncos HQ Forum it appears that he was a bit off the pace.

definitely was off the pace, as much as i hate to say it, he doesnt really seem to be improving, still got a very noticeable limp. didn't even bother chasing after one of the cowboys when they made a break, i doubt he will make the top grade again, i would rather put someone in there who will be able to play to the best of their ability.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Yeah, as devastating and difficult it is for me to admit, I think Yow Yeh's first grade career is all but over.

It just infuriates me how complete f**kwits like Ferguson, Ennis or Dugan wouldn't even suffer a hamstring tear in a regular season but such a class act like Yow Yeh suffers a compound fracture at age 22. There is no justice in football.

Bronco18

Juniors
Yeah, as devastating and difficult it is for me to admit, I think Yow Yeh's first grade career is all but over.

It just infuriates me how complete f**kwits like Ferguson, Ennis or Dugan wouldn't even suffer a hamstring tear in a regular season but such a class act like Yow Yeh suffers a compound fracture at age 22. There is no justice in football.

Bit harsh to lump Ennis in with Ferguson and Dugan.

Smiley

Bench
Good news and bad news for Kahu.

Hasn't done his ACL but will need surgery and will be out for 6-8 weeks.

Kiwi

First Grade
That's good news, I hope they don't dump Barba into the 6 in that time. Bulldogs made the grand final with kris keating and josh Reynolds as their halves.

Charlie124

First Grade
I was there on sat night and I've got to say I was just as interested in watching YY run around as I was my own boys. But as has been said, he looked way off the pace and still limping noticeably, I just can't see how he's gonna make his way back to nrl footy. So unfair to see one of the good guys have their career cut short when there are dickheads are running around every weekend taking their careers for granted.

Apart from him, the rest of the broncos squad looked a little on the heavy side, I know hardly any of them are first graders but it looks like griffin has had them on a meat pie diet over the offseason.

Kiwi

First Grade
I was there on sat night and I've got to say I was just as interested in watching YY run around as I was my own boys. But as has been said, he looked way off the pace and still limping noticeably, I just can't see how he's gonna make his way back to nrl footy. So unfair to see one of the good guys have their career cut short when there are dickheads are running around every weekend taking their careers for granted.

Apart from him, the rest of the broncos squad looked a little on the heavy side, I know hardly any of them are first graders but it looks like griffin has had them on a meat pie diet over the offseason.

Broncos poached the storm and Australian head trainer in the off season, the first grade squad is being trained by the best now with regards to fitness and going the distance. From all reports they don't care how big or strong you are there anymore, it's all about that last 10 minutes, being fitter than the other bloke etc.

Charlie124

First Grade
They looked anything but fit, as i said it probably isnt a big deal as not many of them are first graders but the guys who were out there on sat night looked fat and slow.

Kiwi

First Grade
They looked anything but fit, as i said it probably isnt a big deal as not many of them are first graders but the guys who were out there on sat night looked fat and slow.

Best example are a couple of our normally bigger lads in the squad

00094433-Photo.jpg

00094432-Photo.jpg

Even Kennedy looks fitter than when he was at the roosters.

However despite obviously dropping some kilos from the mid section Hala is still a beast, hopefully he can reach his potential this year.

00094439-Photo.jpg

Latest posts