What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial team list.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Thought everyone in the first 60 mins looked good...I liked Magoo much more than Williams, but making him play hooker has gotta stop. He's an out an out 13. Feefs was solid too, Nikora I thought hit some good holes but was let down by his halves. Tracey was awful at fullback! Kennedy played great. Woods good too, it was a real night for the scapegoats... Townsend was annoying to watch as always but you can tell how much more cohesive the side is with him at 7.

Forget Pele, his defence is disgraceful...couple big runs against NSW Cup.opposition is Jets fodder.

I think it was a good trial, imo.. justified Bomber's thinking and I reckon we'll see the starting side run out.

Kennedy's year imo haha

The form of Kennedy amplified the lack of knowledge in here sometimes. He was close to best on park in the time he was on. Has a new crash running style on kick returns too. I liked it. 100 miles an hour right into the teeth of the defence.

Craigshark

First Grade
The form of Kennedy amplified the lack of knowledge in here sometimes. He was close to best on park in the time he was on. Has a new crash running style on kick returns too. I liked it. 100 miles an hour right into the teeth of the defence.

hang on, didn’t you use to bag val for doing the same thing?

Kennedy had a good 40 minutes of football against a team who will probably compete for the spoon again. When I say good, he was good for what he was asked to do and that was a couple of nice cut out passes to Ronaldo, which we knew he could do as we saw him do it last year. He wasn’t really tested in defence or under the high ball. I recall him actually completely misjudging a long range kick and having to run back and get it. He didn’t really make any more ground on his kick returns with his ‘crash running style’ then what he was last year. He’ll start at fullback and probably should given the lack of other options. Still has a long way to go though.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade

Kennedy had a good 40 minutes of football against a team who will probably compete for the spoon again. When I say good, he was good for what he was asked to do and that was a couple of nice cut out passes to Ronaldo, which we knew he could do as we saw him do it last year. He wasn’t really tested in defence or under the high ball. I recall him actually completely misjudging a long range kick and having to run back and get it. He didn’t really make any more ground on his kick returns with his ‘crash running style’ then what he was last year. He’ll start at fullback and probably should given the lack of other options. Still has a long way to go though.
Don’t think anyone is saying he has established himself himself as our long term No.1 yet. Rather he deserves a crack at a second season as guardian and he does appear to be able to put a player into a hole. Yes still plenty of improvement required overall but not too many fullbacks are superstars in their first season of top grade. Hopefully the middle will be a lot tighter this year and he won’t be left in those hopeless situations of trying to stop a rhino on the try line on his own. I look forward to seeing his development this year.

DJDL

Bench
Yep we got no depth in the Hooker spot, f**k me. Thought McGoo did alright at lock though, nothing special but solid. Feel sorry for Milne a little bit, obviously nerves got him, he's a big unit . What about Pele though!! Teach him to tackle and he's another JT.

Tracey looks good in the line but he's way off a FB spot in FG. Metcalf looked good with the ball too.

Anyway, thought the FG side without some regulars in Talakai, Hunt, SJ (Tolman ) easily handled the Dogs top squad. That said it's just a trial.. We look sharp in attack, defense was pretty good until everyone got a run at the 3rd break.

I'm inclined to agree with you on Milne. He had an unhappy match, no question, but I get the feeling he was over-trying after his early missed tackle and dropped ball. He seemed intent on making up by putting on some big hits, which didn't stick. If he can get that in order he is one to watch, so I'm not prepared to write him off on the basis of that.

The main thing I took out of what I saw of the trial is that out of he, Pele and Hazleton we have a promising young bunch of front rowers coming through. You'd have to back at least one or two to make the step up, but none of them are anywhere near it yet.

Hence the reason for signing Tolman. And hence the reason Fifi and Woods will probably be afforded another year, with a possible 2nd year option for Woods.

I don't really see any of them being ready to make the step up until mid-way next year.

Unfortunately the alternative had a dreadful performance at fullback against an even shittier standard side in the last 40 or so.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Exactly.....for a guy who was talking himself up as a fullback option through the week he was awful. Sure that article would have fired up WK a bit too.
Early days but happy for Kennedy.
All the talk here and in smaller pieces of media has been regarding who would be replacing him and he is supposedly rubbish.
Last year was last year, he’s a year older and hopefully just working hard.
Might be the blue bag in me, but he has a lot of potential

Stake Removed

First Grade
I noticed that Frenzy, when running back from kicks just before being tackled he accelerated and got lower to the ground, to avoid being manhandled

Stake Removed

First Grade
I'm inclined to agree with you on Milne. He had an unhappy match, no question, but I get the feeling he was over-trying after his early missed tackle and dropped ball. He seemed intent on making up by putting on some big hits, which didn't stick. If he can get that in order he is one to watch, so I'm not prepared to write him off on the basis of that.

The main thing I took out of what I saw of the trial is that out of he, Pele and Hazleton we have a promising young bunch of front rowers coming through. You'd have to back at least one or two to make the step up, but none of them are anywhere near it yet.

Hence the reason for signing Tolman. And hence the reason Fifi and Woods will probably be afforded another year, with a possible 2nd year option for Woods.

I don't really see any of them being ready to make the step up until mid-way next year.
On the props we have a few coming through, add to that Uele by end of this year plenty of games.

So I don't think we can keep woods, tolman, fiifta in 2022 one of them needs to be moved on at least transition them out, so all don't leave in on hit, unless we sign a quality prop with 150 games experience

lolesi

First Grade
It would be tough being a fringe first grader atm. most haven’t played in a long time after no 2020 comp.

anyway, saw bits and pieces, both teams won’t do much this year.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
I think Kennedy is our punishment for rorting the cap to be quite honest. We have had ample time to fix one of the most important positions in the game that quite clearly we are lacking.

He will have to do this year but don’t expect many tackle busts or 50 metre breaks to set up wingers because the poor fella just doesn’t have it in him. He is a very simple fullback at the end of the day.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I think Kennedy is our punishment for rorting the cap to be quite honest. We have had ample time to fix one of the most important positions in the game that quite clearly we are lacking.

He will have to do this year but don’t expect many tackle busts or 50 metre breaks to set up wingers because the poor fella just doesn’t have it in him. He is a very simple fullback at the end of the day.
He’s not a tackle busting fullback Snoop but even you would have to acknowledge that he does have a decent set of hands that can put a player in a hole. If he’s the fallout for the salary cap rotting I’m happy with that. He hasn’t even played 20 top grade games to date and I think he’ll improve massively this year. If I’m wrong I’ll be happy to admit it and we can pay good coin next year for an established fullback.

Stake Removed

First Grade
He’s not a tackle busting fullback Snoop but even you would have to acknowledge that he does have a decent set of hands that can put a player in a hole. If he’s the fallout for the salary cap rotting I’m happy with that. He hasn’t even played 20 top grade games to date and I think he’ll improve massively this year. If I’m wrong I’ll be happy to admit it and we can pay good coin next year for an established fullback.
Agree there.
I prefer Kennedy can set up a try against fullback runs ball back hard at no ability to set up.tries.

Actually I prefer Kennedy over Holmes at fullback

R-15-3

Juniors
I’m one of Kennedy biggest critics and can admit he looked better last night but has always looked good chiming in with a nice catch and pass game.
I can live with his attacking football it’s not top class but ok and never been a real problem for me, but it was his defensive positioning last year that was horrendous and lack of communication, strength that drove me crazy. His kick returns, strength and talking looked better but no real test on his defensive reads from that opening 40.
I’ll admit I wanted to give Tracey first crack hoping his defence was better but looked out of position tho it was in an unorganised 2nd string defence in front of him but still not enough.
So I’ll have to admit it Kennedy looks our best option to start the year at 1. Time will tell tho

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Agree there.
I prefer Kennedy can set up a try against fullback runs ball back hard at no ability to set up.tries.

Actually I prefer Kennedy over Holmes at fullback
Val was an outstanding winger that we paid fullback money to so we tried to make a fullback out of him. Kennedy is a out and out fullback who is on wingers money..... if WK doesn’t make it as a fullback I doubt he has a NRL career. Having said that I reckon he makes it.

Snoop Shark

First Grade

He does have a great set of hands and I acknowledge that, but to be contender your fullback needs “all of the above” and unfortunately 1 trait or skill out of a fair few doesn’t quite cut it in my opinion. I’m a good people person but it doesn’t mean I’ll make it as a CEO. There are a mixture of skills needed to succeed.

Latest posts