What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial V Warriors

Vic Mackey

Referee
WESTS TIGERS
1. Moses Mbye (capt.)
2. Corey Thompson
3. Robert Jennings
4. Esan Marsters
5. David Nofoaluma
6. Benji Marshall
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Ben Matulino
11. Luke Garner
12. Ryan Matterson
13. Elijah Taylor

Interchange:
14. Josh Reynolds
15. Matt Eisenhuth
16. Alex Twal
17. Michael Chee Kam
18. Mahe Fonua
19. Chris McQueen
20. Jacob Liddle
21. Thomas Mikaele

Coach: Michael Maguire

Interesting notes:

* Benji gets 5/8 spot over Reynolds

* Garner starts on the left edge, assuming Lawrence has slight injury or just being rested

* Jennings left center, Momiroski must be injured as not in either side

* Musgrove contract still not registered so not considered

Will be good to watch, only playing the one trial I think we'll be taking this fairly seriously. NZ have named a strong squad with Issac Luke the only regular not playing

Shredder

Juniors
Its pretty close to what I would have expected.

Im surprised Benji gets picked over Reynolds given all the press Reynolds has been doing the last week or so.

Im also very pleasantly surprised that Garner gets a nod.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Its pretty close to what I would have expected.

Im surprised Benji gets picked over Reynolds given all the press Reynolds has been doing the last week or so.

Im also very pleasantly surprised that Garner gets a nod.

Apparently Garner has been a stand out in pre season and the club sees him as the longterm replacement for Lawrence. Wondering if he is seen as more of a starter whereas MCK might be a better bench option as can play elsewhere if needed.

Vic Mackey

Referee
FFS

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/02/28/injury-update-pre-season-trial/

Wests Tigers can provide the following injury update ahead of the club’s NRL trial match against the New Zealand Warriors on Saturday, March 2.

After picking up an injury at training, the club has confirmed that Chris Lawrence has sustained a broken jaw and will miss the start of the 2019 NRL season.

Lawrence will consult a surgeon in Auckland today with the club able to provide a better evaluation of his expected recovery time following that.

Paul Momirovski (quad) will also not feature this weekend after picking up a minor injury, but is expected to be available for selection in Round 1.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am far from happy to hear this Vic but (and I say but) this may just be the chance Garner needs to really show his talent. He will most likely start the first few games of the year now and Lawrence will be a bit gun shy when he returns. If Garner is good enough we will soon find out. The comparison to Menzies might be right...just need to feed him good ball (Brooks/Marshall/Reynolds).

Vic Mackey

Referee
I am far from happy to hear this Vic but (and I say but) this may just be the chance Garner needs to really show his talent. He will most likely start the first few games of the year now and Lawrence will be a bit gun shy when he returns. If Garner is good enough we will soon find out. The comparison to Menzies might be right...just need to feed him good ball (Brooks/Marshall/Reynolds).

Yeah good point mate. Shame cause Rowdy was close to our best last year however Garner plays a very similar game to him and finished the year well.

Tiger05

First Grade
WESTS TIGERS
1. Moses Mbye (capt.)
2. Corey Thompson
3. Robert Jennings
4. Esan Marsters
5. David Nofoaluma
6. Benji Marshall
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Ben Matulino
11. Luke Garner
12. Ryan Matterson
13. Elijah Taylor

Interchange:
14. Josh Reynolds
15. Matt Eisenhuth
16. Alex Twal
17. Michael Chee Kam
18. Mahe Fonua
19. Chris McQueen
20. Jacob Liddle
21. Thomas Mikaele

Coach: Michael Maguire

Interesting notes:

* Benji gets 5/8 spot over Reynolds

* Garner starts on the left edge, assuming Lawrence has slight injury or just being rested

* Jennings left center, Momiroski must be injured as not in either side

* Musgrove contract still not registered so not considered

Will be good to watch, only playing the one trial I think we'll be taking this fairly seriously. NZ have named a strong squad with Issac Luke the only regular not playing

Some interesting decisions aren't there. I would pick the same outside backs. I think we really need Reynolds and Liddle to replace Benji and Robbie. I wouldn't play a utility on the bench. If you aren't having 4 forwards I'd go with Liddle on the bench to replace Robbie.

I can understand Chee-Kam being picked as the 3rd forward but I'd like to see Mikaele come into the squad. We need some big aggressive middle forwards to bend the line.

I'm worried about how Taylor goes and the team balance with him being there.

I can't wait to see the game though.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yeah good point mate. Shame cause Rowdy was close to our best last year however Garner plays a very similar game to him and finished the year well.
Yes Rowdy was certainly formidable last yr & expect him to replicate that form this season but unlike the 3/4’s & props we have decent depth in the back row.

Vozzy

Juniors
Oh well. Manly will likely have Turbo out come round 1 so we are not the only ones starting with injuries. Also the whole 21 players will be used so I'm looking forward in seeing how Jennings, Reynolds, Liddle, McQueen and Mikaele go mostly.

He obviously already prefers McQueen to the likes of Rowdy which means he has gotten him fit which is good.

Tiger05

First Grade
He obviously already prefers McQueen to the likes of Rowdy which means he has gotten him fit which is good.

I doubt it. I think Lawrence would have been one of the first picked. He has a broken jaw. McQueen was also picked in reserve grade so I assume Garner is considered ahead of McQueen in the pecking order.

I have no confidence in McQueen coming good but I'd like to see it happen.

gordsy

Juniors
Get any young prop and give 'em a go as no more Musgrave for a few months at least.
Since the Nrl refuse to register the contract who knows if we even sign him by the time his case is over a few teams could be looking for front rowers and we get gazumped. I don't think he is locked in to signing with us only ??

super_coach

First Grade
We will miss Lawrence as he probably our only good hole runner. Most broken jaws are six weeks so he is going to miss the first month and than he has to displace his replacement.
Anyway we should get a idea today how we are going to replace him

Perth Tiger

Bench
A pretty decent game from the NSW cup boys. Particularly having only 3 reserves.

Gamble seemed to be a stand out. Very good kicking game.

Latest posts