What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Sharks

Knight76

Juniors
It's only a trial sure, but the saying "we become what we practice" is true enough.

I didn't see Cronulla out there dropping the ball and stuffing up their attacking plays consistently. They played liked a well oiled machine.

Hopefully this gets turned around for round 1, but it isn't a great sign. It's a trial, but it shouldn't be treated as a meaningless game by any player in the team. Especially against the team we face in RD1.

Spot On

Coach
The knights have never had truly good defence since 1988. Even during the glory years we still had pretty poor defence but no one took much notice because our attack was brilliant.

Hence the reason we have done f**k all for pretty much the length of our existance save the good years when the 8th was playing and not out injured.

If he wasn't around, it would be a bloody horrible history from 1988.

Yeah, just a trial but not a good one at all.

Fingers crossed there are reasons for it cause it should be a bit of panic if that's been the focus all off season under Woolf.

Defence must become our priority otherwise you can have all the Pongas you like but no Premierships.

Frederick

Staff member
I didn't see Cronulla out there dropping the ball and stuffing up their attacking plays consistently. They played liked a well oiled machine.
Well, you'd expect that of a squad that has had very little player turnover in a period of sustained success

Knight76

Juniors
Well, you'd expect that of a squad that has had very little player turnover in a period of sustained success

Sure, exactly what I would expect from them. They have also had a lot of off field turmoil, sacked coach etc, and you don't see them turning out a game of dropsies and calamity though. Thats professionalism.

I'd also expect the Knights to show a bit more cohesion the last game prior to the season starting. The boys have been talking up their season, no more excuses, we have the squad etc. News article on NRL.com saying they were treating this trial as a full dress rehearsal for round 1. Laughable.

They had every reason to lift for this game, playing round 1 team, playing at home in front of Newcastle crowd, last hit out before season starts, carry some momentum in to the season after a good performance against saints.

What we got looked worse than a reserve grade performance. Last years Maitland trial was a 26-6 belting where the Knights just didn't turn up. This year, 30-6 and the Knights didn't turn up again.

It's just a trial, I understand this and it really does not count for much, but, that little bit it does count for, should be enough to lift the players. It's a worry that it does not seem to.

Now, we have a team heading to round one off the back of a poor game, players positions under pressure and you would have to think that hurt there confidence.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'd also expect the Knights to show a bit more cohesion the last game prior to the season starting. The boys have been talking up their season, no more excuses, we have the squad etc. News article on NRL.com saying they were treating this trial as a full dress rehearsal for round 1. Laughable.

I expect them to be out of sorts for a while yet and I expect to be very frustrated. Lots of new faces yet again and lots of work to do on combinations. KP's in a new position and Watson in a new role and not having played for quite a few months now as he was injured towards the end of the season last year.

The Roosters had 2 new spine members last season ( Tedesco and Cronk) with the bulk of the playing squad that had been playing together for a number of seasons, yet to start the season last year they were poor. Tedesco was having a horror start and Cronk looked to be the wrong choice to replace Pearce........ we all know how the season ended for them.

We've been patient this long to build a competitive squad capable of making a serious challenge for the Premiership, I think we have that squad. Now we need more patience and lower expectations a little and let them settle into their roles and combinations. When this team finally clicks it will be lethal, that much I'm sure.

I saw some very positive signs during the trial, very frustrating to watch but just below the surface there is a beast of a team that over time will be a team to be reckoned with.

Burwood

Bench
Yep- there is an article in the Herald about Mann where he says he played 20-25 minutes at hooker, so Levi would have been there the rest of the game.

slotmachine

First Grade
The Roosters were so poor early last year they pumped us by 40 in round 3.

Hopefully we're as bad as them.

League_God

Juniors

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Just going to go out on a limb and say that the team threw the game of sorts, watch them come out firing in round one.

No way they gave up their opening day game plan to a team they play in two weeks, i’d honestly say Brown sandbagged it and let Morris show his inexperience by going at 90%.

Just going to go out on a limb and say that the team threw the game of sorts, watch them come out firing in round one.

No way they gave up their opening day game plan to a team they play in two weeks, i’d honestly say Brown sandbagged it and let Morris show his inexperience by going at 90%.
They will come out and be much better, but as for the suggestion it was a coach planned performance, I find that highly doubtful

Knight76

Juniors
They will come out and be much better, but as for the suggestion it was a coach planned performance, I find that highly doubtful

I have no doubt they will be much better, you can't fake the buildup and intensity of an NRL game.

Just a shame they put up a performance like that. No-way Brown said go out and pretend you never played Footy before.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
It would be a massive slap to the face to all the fans that went to the game if Brown asked them to play poorly. Also it would be sending a bad message to the players. Anyone who thinks that Brown told his players to play poorly are kidding themselves.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I thought we looked good at times. We'll be a much different animal come first round at home.

Debut for a number of players, packed house , Herman with a rocket up his ass and Klemmer off the leash and unhinged .........NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE

I just want to see us belt some teams, some intent and agro....send em up the highway feeling like they just went to war.