What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trips down memory lane

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Happiness is exhausting to maintain forever.

Contentment, that's where it's at. High and lows but generally content.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Me. I'd never say something that harsh to someone else.

Sorry.

It's all good. I wasn't upset, but I had mentioned six years - so thought you might have been asking me.

It sucks that you've had a rough six years. Are there no causes for happiness or joy from that time though?

Dani

Immortal
It's all good. I wasn't upset, but I had mentioned six years - so thought you might have been asking me.

It sucks that you've had a rough six years. Are there no causes for happiness or joy from that time though?

Just a bad timed post. Sorry again.

Course there were good times, but they have since been very tarnished and get harder to recall.

Anywho. People talk happy now. Ignore the depresso.

Zoidberg

First Grade
i do miss playing junior footy, considering i wasnt a very popular kid and kept to myself alot and didnt have many friends the few i did have was because of footy. Having the feeling of being seen and thought of higher then other people around me and hearing the cheers after i just belted somone or ran over the top of them was always the highlight of my week.

One of the greatest memories i have is winning the U/18's GF for runaway bay, would have been one of the best games ive ever played and just left path of destruction behind me. Managed to barge over for the first try from a tap 30m out dragging half the team with me and when we were down by 2 with only a few minutes left and a bomb went up from us that we had all planned to sprint after when there was a stoppage half way through the set.

Everyone most likely remembers the shot crocker put on stewert when he caught the bomb in the GF a few years ago (well brett probably doesnt lol). Picture that but with darius boyd catching it for burleigh. Dead set nailed him and dislodged the ball that got scooped up and after a few passes and ducking and weaving from our 5/8 we scored in the corner and won. Being carred around on the boys shoulders and what was a home GF for us a decent sized crowd cheering me on was just a surreal feeling and the most accepted i'd ever felt. Something that i had and have since always struggled with.

While this was happening they blasted U2s "A beautiful day" on the speaker system and i always smile when i hear it, the next night the cowboys did the impossible and hammered the dogs in their first ever semi final and i recieved a letter to go trial for South Sydneys Sg Ball team. Was a pretty surreal couple of days

I'd love to go back to the days of playing club footy. Played for 10 years from when I was 7.
I never really thought about having the crowd cheer me on but that would be an amazing feeling to have now that I'd appreciate it.
Unfortunately I never won a grand final (lost 2) but I really think I was happiest out on the footy field having a game with my mates around me.
Don't even really get out and have a pass and a kick anymore. Would love to get out and do that sorta thing. Not to brag but I think I was (am) a pretty good player.

Eelementary

Post Whore
i do miss playing junior footy, considering i wasnt a very popular kid and kept to myself alot and didnt have many friends the few i did have was because of footy. Having the feeling of being seen and thought of higher then other people around me and hearing the cheers after i just belted somone or ran over the top of them was always the highlight of my week.

One of the greatest memories i have is winning the U/18's GF for runaway bay, would have been one of the best games ive ever played and just left path of destruction behind me. Managed to barge over for the first try from a tap 30m out dragging half the team with me and when we were down by 2 with only a few minutes left and a bomb went up from us that we had all planned to sprint after when there was a stoppage half way through the set.

Everyone most likely remembers the shot crocker put on stewert when he caught the bomb in the GF a few years ago (well brett probably doesnt lol). Picture that but with darius boyd catching it for burleigh. Dead set nailed him and dislodged the ball that got scooped up and after a few passes and ducking and weaving from our 5/8 we scored in the corner and won. Being carred around on the boys shoulders and what was a home GF for us a decent sized crowd cheering me on was just a surreal feeling and the most accepted i'd ever felt. Something that i had and have since always struggled with.

While this was happening they blasted U2s "A beautiful day" on the speaker system and i always smile when i hear it, the next night the cowboys did the impossible and hammered the dogs in their first ever semi final and i recieved a letter to go trial for South Sydneys Sg Ball team. Was a pretty surreal couple of days

Yeah - footy is awesome.

I remember doing a Joel Clinton and chucking a giddy got at half time because we were down 30-2. I said I was sick of going out there and giving my all when the other 11 twats (I specifically said 11, because my front row partner busted a but like me every time, too) couldn't be arsed to pull their fingers out and play some football.

We ended up going on a winning streak, but still missing the finals. But from that point on, I felt I could walk into a room and everyone would shut up and give me their respect. Shortly after I was made captain. I felt fantastic.

And because I'd played soccer for many years, my coach asked me to kick goals. That has some excellent memories, too - such as the time I hyperextended my knee kicking a conversion. Ah...Memories.

Sadly, I never tasted success as a player. We never made the finals.

Bazal

Post Whore
I basically wish I could change every decision I've made as an adult...so there's that

Also this. It was great to get back to it this season. It's just nice to get into an environment I know I can control. I feel the same about cricket. People ask me why I take it so seriously and the answer is I don't really...I just get a bit giddy remembering what it's like to actually be able to take control of something in my life. Even if it's just a set play or a run chase.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I loved bumping people off me like they were made of paper. I tried to model my game on a young Fuifui Moimoi and Adrian Morley hybrid, and I was successful (except I didn't have their size; I'm only 183cm and I played at 115kg).

Running at blokes that were easily 190cm plus and similar in weight to me, and throwing them around like they were nothing, was totally empowering.

But there was also the fact I had to play full games because we had two props in the entire team, which wasn't so fun.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
i got described as a brad thorn build with a martin lang running style. Many concussions and a crack in my skull later i probably should have tweaked it a bit lol

Eelementary

Post Whore
i got described as a brad thorn build with a martin lang running style. Many concussions and a crack in my skull later i probably should have tweaked it a bit lol

You played the game the way it was intended to be played.

My front row partner was 180cm and 103kg - but he ran the ball like an in-prime Moimoi and was just so fast and strong.

In the flip side, we had a guy in our team that was an animal physically - easily over 2 metres tall and 115kg or so. And he ran the ball back as if he was scared of slipping on a too-long blade of grass...he was soft.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I recall we had an FFB XVII a few years back, complete with coach and physiotherapist and everything. Good times.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well, I try....

Actually when I play fullback I pretty much run it back like Karmichael Hunt. I just suck at tackling. Like, horribly.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I was only good at tackling because I played in the middle third - I was tried out in the second row a few times because coach reckoned I had some agility got a big man, and it ended in tears. I got shredded.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think myself and Dutchy were in the halves....that would be a halves pairing for the ages.

That's right!

I seem to recall scoring a try from a barnstorming run onto a short ball from one of you guys. Good times - I could visualise it perfectly lol.

Bazal

Post Whore
It would have been me....Dutchy plays football like he makes love...and he's a selfish lover :sarcasm: