What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True or False

Old Timer

Coach
Some questions / statements that keep turning over in my head as the season approaches, would be interested to see what you think on a True or False basis and what questions bother you.
  1. We overate our teams prospects every year?
  2. We rely far too much on our forward pack for results?
  3. We somewhat overate our froward pack and whilst good is not the best in the comp?
  4. We recruit players from other clubs poorly and look for too many bargains?
  5. James Graham is still a good purchase and still 1st grade starting player quality?
  6. Hunt has proven to be value for money and is making the difference?
  7. Norman would still have been a quality purchase if part of his salary wasn't subsidised?
  8. Pushing Widdop to FB to accomodate Norman at 5/8 is the best decision?
  9. Our pathway for juniors is capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff?
  10. Lomax trial form is poor so his late season 2018 form was just beginners luck and he should be relegated to ISP?
  11. We worry about our centres too much and in fact the position is not that important?
  12. Millward is still going to make a great signing due to other clubs salary cap issues?
  13. Mary really has got the team he wants?
  14. We should be optimistic of our chances under a coach who has been with us as long as Mc Gregor?
  15. Our game plan is developing?
  16. We are so finely balanced a team that one player can make all the difference to us re winning the comp?
  17. We are one player down for the foreseeable future and we are already looking for excuses?

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
  1. True
  2. False
  3. True
  4. True
  5. False
  6. False
  7. True
  8. Maybe
  9. False
  10. True
  11. True
  12. False
  13. Tralse
  14. True
  15. True
  16. False
  17. False

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
OldTimer said ...............

Some questions / statements that keep turning over in my head as the season approaches, would be interested to see what you think on a True or False basis and what questions bother you.
  • We overate our teams prospects every year? False
  • We rely far too much on our forward pack for results? False
  • We somewhat overate our froward pack and whilst good is not the best in the comp? Pass
  • We recruit players from other clubs poorly and look for too many bargains? False
  • James Graham is still a good purchase and still 1st grade starting player quality? Pass
  • Hunt has proven to be value for money and is making the difference? Pass
  • Norman would still have been a quality purchase if part of his salary wasn't subsidised? Pass
  • Pushing Widdop to FB to accomodate Norman at 5/8 is the best decision? False
  • Our pathway for juniors is capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff? Pass, limited pathway.
  • Lomax trial form is poor so his late season 2018 form was just beginners luck and he should be relegated to ISP? True but poor positioning from coach.
  • We worry about our centres too much and in fact the position is not that important? False
  • Millward is still going to make a great signing due to other clubs salary cap issues? False
  • Mary really has got the team he wants? False, such a team never exists.
  • We should be optimistic of our chances under a coach who has been with us as long as Mc Gregor? False
  • Our game plan is developing?False
  • We are so finely balanced a team that one player can make all the difference to us re winning the comp?False
  • We are one player down for the foreseeable future and we are already looking for excuses?False
History is proving our coach is the biggest problem we have.
A team of stars will always get beaten by a star coach.\
We have the team to win the comp.
We don't have the coach.
End

possm

Coach
OldTimer said ...............

• We overate our teams prospects every year? False
  • We rely far too much on our forward pack for results? False
  • We somewhat overate our froward pack and whilst good is not the best in the comp? Pass
  • We recruit players from other clubs poorly and look for too many bargains? False
  • James Graham is still a good purchase and still 1st grade starting player quality? Pass
  • Hunt has proven to be value for money and is making the difference? Pass
  • Norman would still have been a quality purchase if part of his salary wasn't subsidised? Pass
  • Pushing Widdop to FB to accomodate Norman at 5/8 is the best decision? False
  • Our pathway for juniors is capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff? Pass, limited pathway.
  • Lomax trial form is poor so his late season 2018 form was just beginners luck and he should be relegated to ISP? True but poor positioning from coach.
  • We worry about our centres too much and in fact the position is not that important? False
  • Millward is still going to make a great signing due to other clubs salary cap issues? False
  • Mary really has got the team he wants? False, such a team never exists.
  • We should be optimistic of our chances under a coach who has been with us as long as Mc Gregor? False
  • Our game plan is developing?False
  • We are so finely balanced a team that one player can make all the difference to us re winning the comp?False
  • We are one player down for the foreseeable future and we are already looking for excuses?False
History is proving our coach is the biggest problem we have.
A team of stars will always get beaten by a star coach.\
We have the team to win the comp.
We don't have the coach.
End

Apparently the SGI Board and CEO do not agree with you. Our CEO has recommended Mary's extension citing player unity and Mary's leadership during the De Belin problems as his big reason to do so.

3. We somewhat overate our froward pack and whilst good is not the best in the comp?
  5. James Graham is still a good purchase and still 1st grade starting player quality?
  7. Norman would still have been a quality purchase if part of his salary wasn't subsidised?
  10. Lomax trial form is poor so his late season 2018 form was just beginners luck and he should be relegated to ISP?
  11. We worry about our centres too much and in fact the position is not that important?
  12. Millward is still going to make a great signing due to other clubs salary cap issues?
  14. We should be optimistic of our chances under a coach who has been with us as long as Mc Gregor?
  16. We are so finely balanced a team that one player can make all the difference to us re winning the comp?
  17. We are one player down for the foreseeable future and we are already looking for excuses?
1. False - The club spin doctors have consistently downplayed our prospects in order to manage the fan base expectations. We have been predicted to win the wooden spoon so that 11th and 9th make McGregor look good. Last year 7th but probably our best chance for a serious premiership tilt - come and gone.
2. True
3. True - last years pack was stronger than this year - LAM is a big loss.
4. True
5. False - no impact on the field whatsoever. "Leadership qualities" useless without on field contribution.
6. False - not the dominant half back we all hoped he would be. Not yet at least. Could have a lot to do with our pathetic coaching set up.
7. False - you're kidding right?
8. True - either play Widdop for the last year at 5/8 and go after a replacement later (don't sign Norman as we did) OR get Norman playing the position he was bought to play from the outset to build that combination with Hunt. So far Norman has not shown much which prompts the Widdop question.
9. False - there is no logical pathway that encourages our younger players. Instead they are often frustrated, bemused and left scratching their head. Unless there are injuries, they don't seem to get a chance in first grade.
10. False - playing out of position and outside Aitkin. To me he just looked like he was not happy playing on the wing. The only decent pass he got was a cut out pass thrown by Hunt. He played some phenomenal football late last year and you don't turn into an ISP player just like that.
Get rid of Aitkin and play Lomax in his rightful position. Show the kid that you have confidence in him and he is an integral part of the team. Stop playing players out of position and compromising.
11. False - our centres are our biggest problem. Leaky defence and no real strike power. Getting to the point where this malaise is an impediment to doing better at finals time in particular. I still don't get why this cannot be fixed by our coach who was renowned as an elite centre in his playing days.
12. False - Millward plays the waiting game looking for bargains instead of assessing a player's CV and ability and how it fits into our team. He is a bit like the shoppers who only buy things when they are on special.
13. False - Mary doesn't know what he's doing. One dimensional coaching philosophy who buddies up with key players in the hope that they will make him look good. Widdop is a prime example. It doesn't matter if he has the team he wants or not.
14. False - even though the roster is supposedly getting stronger, coach keeps dishing up the same old game plans, the same end of season fades that opposition coaches know off by heart by now. The longer he is in charge the more likelihood we will tumble down the ladder in a sudden fall from grace.
15. False - No innovation, no creativity. no football flair. We keep dishing up the same old stuff every year.
16. False - No team should be that "finely balanced". squads win comps not individual players.
17. True - JDB's legal issues are tailor made for McGregor if he screws up this year. He is a master of deflection and it will also suit the board if they extend him prematurely.
If I could add one more question please:
18. McGregor's tightknit relationship with the playing group and key players greatly improve our chances of winning the competition.

Thanks for an interesting post - enjoyed it.

kit66

Bench
  1. We overate our teams prospects every year? True except last year we had every right to expect a btter finish.
  2. We rely far too much on our forward pack for results? True but that's only because we're acutely aware of our backline's deficiencies.
  3. We somewhat overate our froward pack and whilst good is not the best in the comp? Iffy. With JDB we know that on our day we're as good as any pack in the league, without we're questionable for round 1 but could surprise.
  4. We recruit players from other clubs poorly and look for too many bargains? Mostly True but occasionally they surprise us as with Widdop, Graham and Hunt for examplw.
  5. James Graham is still a good purchase and still 1st grade starting player quality? True. I had my doubts but we're really going to need his inspirational leadership in 2019.
  6. Hunt has proven to be value for money and is making the difference? You know this at least is definitely True.
  7. Norman would still have been a quality purchase if part of his salary wasn't subsidised? False, a panic buy due to the Widdop announcement, unnecessary and terribly disruptive. If we'd signed him for 202 I would probably have supported that.
  8. Pushing Widdop to FB to accomodate Norman at 5/8 is the best decision? F*ck no, worst possible outcome.
  9. Our pathway for juniors is capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff? True, I suppose, maybe yeah, I don't know, could be, we'll see.
  10. Lomax trial form is poor so his late season 2018 form was just beginners luck and he should be relegated to ISP? True / False / False. Trials were shit yes but played well in a rampaging team last year. I'd give him first crack at Aitken's spot for round 1 and take it from there.
  11. We worry about our centres too much and in fact the position is not that important? True / False. We obsess over them because they're Aitken and Lafai. Lafai is capable of great things but needs to deliver weekly not monthly. Aitken's a bum and completey inept in defence, a liability we seem to be stuck with as our depth there is ankle deep.
  12. Millward is still going to make a great signing due to other clubs salary cap issues? Please be True, please, please make it happen.
  13. Mary really has got the team he wants? I'm not confident that Mary has control of anything.
  14. We should be optimistic of our chances under a coach who has been with us as long as Mc Gregor? Oh you funny.
  15. Our game plan is developing? You're on a roll now.
  16. We are so finely balanced a team that one player can make all the difference to us re winning the comp? True to a point, glad you didn't say finely tuned. The thing is JDB's loss on the back of Ah Mau is going to hurt us.
  17. We are one player down for the foreseeable future and we are already looking for excuses? True if your name's Mary.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Who is we?. This forum?. I'll will answer these questions as if you are asking me my opinion on how I think

1. Definitely False
2. False
3. False to the word "overrate'. True we are not the best
4. False. Unless you know what is left in the bicky tin that we have to spend on our Top 30 we can not comment
5. True for was a good purchase and is 1st grade quality. False..to he is not a starter
6. True...still too early to fully answer this..put this up again in 2021.
7. True
8. False now...but maybe True...still too eraly to full answer this...put this up again in Round 21
9. True
10 False...it's a trial who cares!...and starting in the wrong position...so was Kalyn Ponga's
11.False...I do... but True..if Lomax & Lafai are starting centres Round 1
12.False...likely great signing unavailable. Tell me who is available...or ask Possm..then ask question again.
13. True
14. True for this year and we should be after 5 years of 1 coach...but I am not
15. True..in attack..very slowly..False to defence
16. False...team sport..and no 'I" in team
17. True we are ATM..and False..no one I have heard is looking for excuses

Belta

Juniors
Based on last years performances, which could obviously change.
  1. We overate our teams prospects every year? - T
  2. We rely far too much on our forward pack for results? - T
  3. We somewhat overate our froward pack and whilst good is not the best in the comp? - T
  4. We recruit players from other clubs poorly and look for too many bargains? - T
  5. James Graham is still a good purchase and still 1st grade starting player quality? - T (still going ok and his passion is contagious)
  6. Hunt has proven to be value for money and is making the difference? - F (Hard to answer because he went missing for awhile but I believe this year he will be the player we need)
  7. Norman would still have been a quality purchase if part of his salary wasn't subsidised? F - it would of been too much money for a position we had covered.
  8. Pushing Widdop to FB to accomodate Norman at 5/8 is the best decision? T
  9. Our pathway for juniors is capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff? F
  10. Lomax trial form is poor so his late season 2018 form was just beginners luck and he should be relegated to ISP? F - not yet, but the glorification of untried juniors by this forum never ceases to astound me.
  11. We worry about our centres too much and in fact the position is not that important? F
  12. Millward is still going to make a great signing due to other clubs salary cap issues? F
  13. Mary really has got the team he wants? T
  14. We should be optimistic of our chances under a coach who has been with us as long as Mc Gregor? F
  15. Our game plan is developing? F
  16. We are so finely balanced a team that one player can make all the difference to us re winning the comp? F
  17. We are one player down for the foreseeable future and we are already looking for excuses? T