What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Try replays with music in the background.......

davi

Juniors
They had replays of try's with music in the background on channel nine tonight. It reminded me of the 1980's where they had replays of try's with music in the background. I'm pretty sure they were done with that and ditched it when it came to the nineties. Not sure why they ditched it - I guess they must have thought it was out of fashion and took away from the production values.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Channel Ten brought music to the coverage on try replays, which was fantastic. They also had music on the intro and close of the game which gave it a sense of excitement. Alan Catt was the producer of the coverage and he was great for the game's presentation.

Ten were brilliant with the way they presented the game.

When Nine took over in 1992 they did not continue with the music.

davi

Juniors
Channel Ten brought music to the coverage on try replays, which was fantastic. They also had music on the intro and close of the game which gave it a sense of excitement. Alan Catt was the producer of the coverage and he was great for the game's presentation.

Ten were brilliant with the way they presented the game.

When Nine took over in 1992 they did not continue with the music.

Thanks for that LeagueXIII. That was really interesting to read that. The music channel Nine had was not a patch on the music channel Ten had in the clip above even if the music maybe a little dated. It's a bit more fainter in sound as well.

It's no coincidence Nine have brought it in because there are empty stadiums. Watching a replay of a try and only hearing silence from the stands after the action is finished probably needs something to jazz it up with on those replays.

I know 4 pieces of try music.

Craig Palmer (3 songs):
The Chase
Breaking the Tape
Dynasty
Andy Clark (1 song):
Motivation

I don’t know the other songs names.

Brutus

Referee
I know 4 pieces of try music.

Craig Palmer (3 songs):
The Chase
Breaking the Tape
Dynasty
Andy Clark (1 song):
Motivation

I don’t know the other songs names.

Thank you for that.

I used to love Breaking The Tape. Channel 10 try music circa 1986. Those percussion sounds and chimes!

roofromoz

First Grade
I vaguely remember Channel 9 bringing it back briefly around 2000. They used Body Rock by Moby... not sure if they used any other songs.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I remember Channel 9 had music under tries when they showed games in the early 80s on Saturdays. Plus they had different types of music (like team songs) for State of Origin.

Brutus

Referee
I remember Channel 9 had music under tries when they showed games in the early 80s on Saturdays. Plus they had different types of music (like team songs) for State of Origin.

"Watch out Queensland" they used that one when replaying NSW tries for the NSW coverage of games.

Back to the song list. I reckon "Motivation" by Andy Clark Was used around 83-84 by ch 10.

Motivation more 83-84 and Breaking The Tape 85-86.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I remember when the players could chose a song if they scored.

I like that.

Be better if I could chose it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just the chorus
Matt Rogers - Cats in the Cradle
Preston Campbell - Short People

So many

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just watching old videos on Youtube it seems Channel 10 used the same music for replays from maybe 1986 to 1990, then modernised it in 1991

Here's some clips in 1986, 1988, and then 1990, they have music from the above mentioned

Clip from 1991 with different replay music:

Also in 1991 Channel 9 had music during the Origin

nrlnrl

First Grade
"Watch out Queensland" they used that one when replaying NSW tries for the NSW coverage of games.

Back to the song list. I reckon "Motivation" by Andy Clark Was used around 83-84 by ch 10.

Motivation more 83-84 and Breaking The Tape 85-86.
Yep, an Origin classic! Plus Channel 9 did use songs underneath replays of tries when they showed highlights of a Saturday game in the early 80s (Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas was one)

Latest posts