What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning pro in golf

8Ball

First Grade
I was just wondering, what is the difference between an amateur and a pro in golf.The practical differences in particular. I hear a lot about amateurs trying to delay for as long as possible before turning pro.. Why is that?

And why do most low handicappers not turn pro? Is it simply cause it takes a long long time to get that certification?

simmo1

First Grade
A pro golfer is someone who plays golf for money (or it can be an instructor who earns money teaching golf). Amatuer's can compete in amatuer tournaments, but can't win more than a certain amount (think its a couple of hundred dollars).

Once a golfer turns pro, you have sweet f**k all chance of regaining your amatuer status again (the PGA is picky on this) and you'll have to qualify for most tournaments, so most are reluctant to turn pro unless they think they can make it.

The Gambler

Juniors
Low handicappers don't turn pro because there is a massive difference between shooting a under par at your local golf club and shooting under par at a championship golf course.

8Ball

First Grade
Low handicappers don't turn pro because there is a massive difference between shooting a under par at your local golf club and shooting under par at a championship golf course.

I suppose I should have phrased my question differently. Basically, why do a lot of people who are good enough to turn pro (even as a teaching pro) choose not to turn pro.

simmo1

First Grade
I suppose I should have phrased my question differently. Basically, why do a lot of people who are good enough to turn pro (even as a teaching pro) choose not to turn pro.

Because you won't be able to play in amatuer tournaments. For example, you won't be able to play in your local golf comp.

Danish

Referee
If I were good enough to turn pro I'd do it in a heartbeat.

To be honest the only reason I can think of why anyone good enough to compete on the US tour who don't do it is because they are pussies.

Kind of like the dickhead every league, union & soccer club has who carves up in 5th grade but never moves up because he "wants to play with his mates". Cowards the lot of em

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I was going to turn pro.

But realised I am shyte so will remain an amateur.

If all fairways dog legged right to account for my slice when driving, I will reconsider my stance.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It goes straight for the first 150 meters, then starts going right for the next 100.

My Irons all good. Even my 3w and 5w.

Just the Driver.

Tiger is safe for now.

The Gambler

Juniors
Because you won't be able to play in amatuer tournaments. For example, you won't be able to play in your local golf comp.
Exactly. You turn pro to make a living, whether as a teaching professional or a touring professional.

If someone is not confident they are GOOD enough to make a decent living as a golfer - then they would continue to pursue their love of the game as an amature at the local golf club with his/her mates. Besides, as an amature you can continue to abuse the 19th hole :D

miguel de cervantes

First Grade

There is nothing to stop a pro playing for meat trays in a local golf comp as far as I am aware. He may be given a negative handicap though if he is too good.

Generally someone won't turn pro cause they aren't good enough.

1. Most low handicapper will already have a career (30+) players and won't be coming touring pros (IE pro-shop pros and instuctors) and probably won't make much more money.
2. Being a touring pro isn't easy at all, firstly, you're competing against 140 other guys for like $100000. On top of that, you need to pay travel, accommodation and so on.

Mong

Post Whore

To be honest the only reason I can think of why anyone good enough to compete on the US tour who don't do it is because they are pussies.

There is a lot more to consider Danish. Finances for a start, even if you have enough capital or a sponsor simply having the talent doesn't mean you will succeed.. Tournament play and the pressures that go along with that take some time to get used to.

Most have to cut their teeth on a much lesser tour to get this experience, often for little prize money on crappy courses in pro am's in some dodgy places staying with local families to cut down on expenses.

John Senden comes to mind, i played with him a few times on the troppo tour in the early 90's. The troppo tour is essentially a pro am tour up and down the QLD coast.. Many compete who possess masses amounts of talent but few go on to the big tours such as the US tour.. Vijay spent some time on the troppo tour as well.

It's a tad more difficult than simply turning pro and turning up in the US to play and make a living.

Alex28

Coach
Generally someone won't turn pro cause they aren't good enough.

1. Most low handicapper will already have a career (30+) players and won't be coming touring pros (IE pro-shop pros and instuctors) and probably won't make much more money.
2. Being a touring pro isn't easy at all, firstly, you're competing against 140 other guys for like $100000. On top of that, you need to pay travel, accommodation and so on.

LOL...if you think all pro's are out there playing for $100,000 a week you are kidding yourself.

There are a bunch of very very good pro golfers who play the pro-am circuit in NSW. A field of maybe 60 are playing 4 tournaments per week for a total pool of $15,000 per day - first place pays maybe $1,500. I know a group of 4 guys who travel in the same vehicle from town to town and stay in the one motel room (take turns to sleep in the bed). They absolute battle.

These guys played off +2 or +3 as amateurs. They ADD their handicap to their gross score, not deduct. They are not good enough to get a US/Euro/Asian Card.

For every bloke you see playing on TV, there would be 1,000 pro's who battle like the guys on the NSW Pro-Am circuit. It doesn't matter if you are a scratch player - you probably won't cut it in the big league.

Club pro's actually get paid pretty well as long as you are the head pro and get a cut of green fees. Trainee's get paid really bloody poorly - and to be a club pro you need to do a 3 year traineeship.

Alex28

Coach

Kind of like the dickhead every league, union & soccer club has who carves up in 5th grade but never moves up because he "wants to play with his mates". Cowards the lot of em
LOL...no idea. Seriously. There is a fair difference in the game when your level of play depends on your ability to earn a living. Amazingly tough existence.

LOL...if you think all pro's are out there playing for $100,000 a week you are kidding yourself.

There are a bunch of very very good pro golfers who play the pro-am circuit in NSW. A field of maybe 60 are playing 4 tournaments per week for a total pool of $15,000 per day - first place pays maybe $1,500. I know a group of 4 guys who travel in the same vehicle from town to town and stay in the one motel room (take turns to sleep in the bed). They absolute battle.

These guys played off +2 or +3 as amateurs. They ADD their handicap to their gross score, not deduct. They are not good enough to get a US/Euro/Asian Card.

For every bloke you see playing on TV, there would be 1,000 pro's who battle like the guys on the NSW Pro-Am circuit. It doesn't matter if you are a scratch player - you probably won't cut it in the big league.

Club pro's actually get paid pretty well as long as you are the head pro and get a cut of green fees. Trainee's get paid really bloody poorly - and to be a club pro you need to do a 3 year traineeship.

I was just talking about like the higher level touring pros, PGA and European tour aside. Things like in Asia and the Nationwide in the US. Being on those tours, you barely make enough money. Looking at the guy who came 10th on the Nationwide, he made about $300000. Takeaway tax, travel expenses and such and that's probably about $100000. And that's the 10th most successful player on a 2nd rate tour.

Alex28

Coach
That isn't strictly true...over in the States they get looked after very very well. On the US and Nationwide Tours they get their accommodation covered, courtesy cars for the week, meals included and they have a special tour company which organises most of their travel, so they charter planes to take them from one event to the next. It is a completely different world over there to the other tours. You also have to remember that all of their expenses are tax deductions as well, so they get an opportunity to reduce their tax bill.

All I am saying is that if you think turning pro is all about playing in the States and fame and fortune...you are absolutely wrong. I have a mate who made the cut in the Masters this week, but is down towards the bottom of the field after the third round. He will probably make around $2,500 for finishing around 60th spot - or about double what he would get for winning a pro-am event in NSW this year of which he played close to 70 of.

I have another mate who made the cut this week and is playing on the Japanese Tour over the last few years. He's finally making it...but it took 10 years of serious grind to get there. This guy played off +6 as an amateur - he is an unbelievable player, but it is a completely different matter when you are playing for your livelihood rather than another golf bag in an amateur comp. (This guy had three garden sheds full of golf equipment that he won while he is an amateur - best pro shop ever!)

The reality is becoming pro is a tough ask, and nowhere near as easy as Danish likes to think it is.

8Ball

First Grade
Thanks for the replies guys. My main point of the question was that, a lot of people are good enough to become a TEACHING pro, but why don't they (but thats been answered well)? I am aware that making a living off actually touring and getting prize money and sponsorships is incredible difficult.

Danish

Referee
LOL...no idea. Seriously. There is a fair difference in the game when your level of play depends on your ability to earn a living. Amazingly tough existence.

You clearly missed the opening line of my post which stated "If I were good enough"... implying that if I had the skill to compete on the pro tour I would.

Being able to consistently finish under par on your local course doesn't mean sh*t (not that I can do that at any rate!)

Latest posts