What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights in New Zealand

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate, all sounds very positive. I'm loving the talk from the NRL that they are actually going to invest the money back into growing the game in NZ. I never thought I'd hear an NRL CEO say that.
Vested interest, they will invest in elite pathways to try and get more quality into the NRL. Not a bad thing but they have been cutting NZRL funding for grassroots for last few years, if they dont fund NZRL to push into schools and increase jnr numbers the cream will still be thin at the top. NZRU has just got a major investment pot of gold so I doubt they will lay down and let the NRL steam roller in. Interesting times for the game in NZ!

Vested interest, they will invest in elite pathways to try and get more quality into the NRL. Not a bad thing but they have been cutting NZRL funding for grassroots for last few years, if they dont fund NZRL to push into schools and increase jnr numbers the cream will still be thin at the top. NZRU has just got a major investment pot of gold so I doubt they will lay down and let the NRL steam roller in. Interesting times for the game in NZ!
The game needs more Pacific Islanders, hopefully this is the start of something that gets them more involved.

edabomb

First Grade
Does Prime no longer operate in NZ? Why would Sky let TV3 show games when they could be on Prime?

I assume the ARL must have lowered the price a bit for Sky to allow FTA coverage of some matches (I assume this means live and not delayed).
Prime is still here, but Sky own it. They'll be getting a kickback for the games being on 3 that they would have missed out on.

Vee

First Grade
Prime is still here, but Sky own it. They'll be getting a kickback for the games being on 3 that they would have missed out on.
Unless you have 1/2/3 games and/or the Warriors away games (all of them atm) on FTA live each week, they are taking the piss with their blurb.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Interesting... is the NZRU pot of gold you refer to the recent private equity investors? I think the NRL was entertaining an idea like that last year. It would be interesting to see how it works out for NZRU.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting... is the NZRU pot of gold you refer to the recent private equity investors? I think the NRL was entertaining an idea like that last year. It would be interesting to see how it works out for NZRU.
yes, they're in process of selling a 12.5% stake in future NZRU revenue for $360.4 million Aus.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NZ2 has to be included as the 18th team now.
there are big question marks over viability of a second club and where it would be based. Certainly the uplift of the NZ tv money would help with the decision (though arguably the uplift has only happened because of competitive tension for the first time, rather than an intrinsic increase in value of the product to broadcasters), but end of day any new club still has to be able to generate $12-15million a year revenue to survive.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I wonder exactly how much the NRL give the NZRL.

Latest posts