1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Two Christchurch groups may bid for a second-tier National Rugby League franchise

Discussion in 'NSWRL Competitions' started by yakstorm, Jul 10, 2016.

1. yakstorm

yakstorm Bench

Source: http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8...-a-secondtier-national-rugby-league-franchise

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Could very well have 4x teams outside of Australia in the NSW Cup / Intrust Super Premiership by 2018 if Fiji, Wellington & Christchurch get in together with the existing Auckland club.

2. siv

siv Bench

Lets start a NZ Cup

3. CC_Roosters

CC_Roosters First Grade

Great that there is such competition for places in what is basically a second tier league, so that in itself is very healthy. BUT I am still unclear on what the plan is for this "platinum" league and the long period of silence with contradicting media reports depending on what you read is not helpful.

Can anyone confirm is the "platinum" league intended to replace the NSW cup as that states top competition or does it come a level above the NSW cup? Or different again does it actually involve all the NRL clubs so becoming a 16 team affiliate league below the NRL but above the state cups?

I really don't like the direction the state cup is going at the minute as it seems increasingly to be heading towards a western Sydney competition when it should be spreading its wings. Manly and Canberra having affiliates in Western Sydney is a joke, Canberra in particular should have an affiliate in somewhere like Wagga or Albury that actually encourages pathways outside the city and foster pathways in that region

4. siv

siv Bench

Totally agree

If its a cost cutting process why have 4 international teams ?

Not as if Newtown, Norths or Wenty have the funds to fly multiple times into NZ

I would rather see Wellington and Christchurch join a expanded Auckland RL competition

5. CC_Roosters

CC_Roosters First Grade

NZ recently went through another change in ots national comp. Their will be provincial championshios with the winners of each joining automatic qualifiers like auckland in a national championship pool

6. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion First Grade

i thought they are going to get rid of the idea of Platinum League

7. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Yeh, a separate NZ Cup that joins up with NSW & Qld Cups in the State Championship...

Id also like to see the NSW Cup split in half (North and South of Sydney; so if there are 10 Sydney teams, 5 go into each) to bring in rural based teams while keeping travel costs low.

Let in any club that can meet some minimum requirement and try to build these teams in suburban melbourne/perth and country towns. Most will be way out of there depth, but the chance to play on the big stage would give the teams a bigger profile and offer more excitement than a local premiership...

8. siv

siv Bench

While I see the desire to emulate RU but NZRL is more like Auckland City v NZ Country

The Batercard Cup was the right idea not sure why they stopped

9. CC_Roosters

CC_Roosters First Grade

Any more news on this? Cannot believe how bad the communication from the NRL/NSWRL has been regardint he future blueprint for the competitions below the NRL.

10. jim_57

jim_57 Bench

IMO the ideal blueprint would be to have 3 NZ sides in the NSW Cup with links to Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands & Hawaii RL. Add in Fiji and perhaps a 2nd PNG QLD Cup side and that is the Pacific covered, it would be great to have genuine pathways to Professional RL for all Pacific countries and the chance to host semi-pro games.

Auckland - Partnered with Tonga RL, 1 game a year in Tonga with player development partnership.

Wellington - Partnered with Samoa RL, 1 game a year in Samoa with player development parternship.

Christchurch - Partnered with Hawaii & Cook Islands RL, 1 game a year in Hawaii with player development partnerships with Hawaii and Cook Islands.

Fiji - All games in Fiji, perhaps partnership with Solomon Islands, Vanuatu etc.