What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just on Lawrie. He is only 23 and had to shoulder the burden of basically #1 prop for us this year.
Josh Kerr is older as is our newest recruit in Faamausili.

Yes, he needs to add some variation to his game, but that was never going to happen under Mc85. We'll see if Hook can do this.

Isn't it also the arguement that props dont develop fully untill their later 20's?

kit66

Bench
I'm sorry but it is my view that Lawrie has not developed into a first grade prop. Lawrie, K Sims and Merrin will end up in CC as backup forwards.

I've been critical of Lawrie in the past but I thought he improved out of site this year especially in the second half of 2020 after Graham deserted, he really stood up. He can only get better under a real coach you'd think. He's only 24 so his best years are yet to come. Plus he loves giving it to the Broncos forwards, plays his best against them.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I like the style of the new young guys coming through - Sloan, Ramsay, Matt Feagai, Sullivan. Haven't seen much of Schiller, Amone or Max Feagai but I presume they will be the same.

This is a great bunch all coming through together that seem to all get along and could take us far in the years ahead!
Well I hope these young guns all continue to improve and remain patient while waiting for their chance to shine. We can keep them all if they are flexible in their aspirations. It goes without saying that Griffin and his staff will need to lock them up as soon as they are confident they have what it takes to be a good NRL player.

BLM01

First Grade
Well I hope these young guns all continue to improve and remain patient while waiting for their chance to shine. We can keep them all if they are flexible in their aspirations. It goes without saying that Griffin and his staff will need to lock them up as soon as they are confident they have what it takes to be a good NRL player.
And in comes the player manager saying I can get you a 1st grade spot here.
Contract no worries . We will find a way to seek release .. here is a new one compassionate grounds
No you can’t keep them all

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Sloan banking on extra miles after stint with Swans
Dragons Den
r0_520_4875_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ON THE FLY: Dragons young-gun Tyrell-Sloan. Picture: Dragons Media
FEAR not Dragons fans, young-gun Tyrell Sloan isn't contemplating a code switch, but he'll owe some gratitude to the Sydney Swans if he can force his way into first grade season.

The teenager was impressive in his first top-grade hit-out last week, grabbing the first try and impressing with his ability to cover the ground. That ability turned heads through the preseason, with the Dapto product virtually cruising through the distance running.

It included that of coach Anthony Griffin, something Sloan puts down to some gruelling preseason sessions with the Swans after tagging along with good mate, and Shellharbour product, James Bell.

"The preseason training suited me, I'm more of a long-distance runner and I did some preseason with the Sydney Swans," Sloan said.

"One of my mates, James Bell, is in the top-grade up there. He's a bit of an idol for me, he's a young indigenous boy that plays first grade up there and this year he's trying to cement first grade.

"He invited me along and said 'let's just get ready for preseason, this is your year to have a big year'. He helped me try and be a professional athlete. Now I'm ticking boxes with that so he helped a lot, he's like an older brother to me.

"The running they were doing was the sort of running we were doing at the start of [preseason]. It was all long distance, two-k runs. Their training is a lot different to ours, but the running we did to start [preseason] was all two kilometres, one-kilometre time trials.

"That's what I did up there and the times they run are a lot quicker. It was really hard [at the Dragons], but the times I was doing were comfortable for me. I just tried to get on the front foot at the start of the season and impress. Hopefully I did that."

It was a nice springboard into his first full preseason with the Dragons, but he's certainly not contemplating a code switch, despite mixing with the likes of Adam Goodes via the stint.

"I'll try and make it here first," he said.

"I've never played AFL, I started getting into it last year because I was hanging out with Jimmy a lot. I got to meet Adam Goodes and had dinner with them. They're Aboriginal icons for myself but they were just normal people, it's just 'hi I'm Adam'. It was awesome."

Sloan, who good judges have likened to Sharks legend David Peachey, is part of an emerging new guard at the club that fans saw in the club's first trial outing last week. They'll get another glimpse of it against Parramatta on Thursday night and Sloan is feeling right at home among a host of familiar faces.

"To play with Junior [Amone] and Bud [Jayden Sullivan] was great," Sloan said.

" I grew up playing with them so to get on that stage was really special. At the start of the game me and Junior just looked at each other and said 'this is our time'. There's a really good aura around the group. If we can bring that into first grade we can have a lot of success.

"Even when I came into preseason the first couple of weeks were easier. I spoke to the Feagai boys and Bud before and they didn't really have any [other] young guys coming through in their first preseason. I just jumped in really easy and the group just bonded really well. That transition was great."

With Matt Dufty and Cody Ramsey above him in the fullback pecking order, a first grade debut this season would likely come on the wing, something he's more than comfortable with.

"Wherever I play this year I just want to play consistent footy," Sloan said.

"I played a bit of wing in the SG Ball and enjoyed it. I had the Feagais' as my centres in that squad so I didn't have to do much defence and I scored a couple of tries because it was an easy pass and score.

"Having Duft and Cody in front of me [at fullback] really helps me a lot. The competition's really healthy. It's not 'I'm better than you' it's to better yourself. If I can learn a lot from Cody and Duft it's helping my game and I'm going to try and help their game too."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7130450/sloan-banking-on-extra-miles-after-stint-with-swans/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
sloan-t-61878372sloan-tyrell-2021_h_gp_0026e_2021213101842.jpg

DRAGONS

How Sydney Swans helped blood Sloan for Dragons rookie season
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 17 Feb 2021, 02:42 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
Teenage Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan has credited his impressive pre-season campaign to gruelling running sessions he did with the Sydney Swans before St George Illawarra training began.

Sloan, who played under 18s for Dapto last year after the NSWRL senior competitions were cancelled, wanted to give himself a head-start for pre-season training so he accepted an invitation to join the Swans players for some distance running.

The 18-year-old has never played AFL and is not interested in a code switch but he is good friends with Swans forward James Bell, who suggested he train with the Moore Park-based club to prepare him for his first season in St George Illawarra's NRL squad.

"He's kind of an idol for myself because he is a young Indigenous boy that plays first grade up there and this year he's trying to cement first grade," Sloan said of Bell, who has played 10 AFL matches for the Swans.

"I've never played AFL, I started getting into it last year because I was hanging out with Jimmy a lot. I got to meet Adam Goodes and had dinner with them. They're Aboriginal icons for myself but they were just normal people.

02be0112-6049-4c5f-a86f-72fc54173d28.jpg

James Bell and Tyrell Sloan during the Sydney Swans' off-season training campaign.
"Jimmy is like an older brother to me. He said ‘let’s get ready for pre-season, this is your year to have a big year' and he helped me to try and be a professional athlete. Now I'm ticking boxes with that so he helped a lot."

At Swans training, Sloan took part in 2km and 1km time trials and when St George Illawarra players got together for the first time under new coach Anthony Griffin he made an immediate impression.

With a running style that has drawn comparisons with former Cronulla fullback David Peachey by some who have watched him in juniors, Sloan finished 5th among Dragons playeers in a 1.2km time trial at the first pre-season session.

"That's what I did up there and the times they run are a lot quicker," he said of Swans training. "It was really hard [at Dragons training], but the times I was doing were comfortable for me. I’m more of a distance runner.

"I just tried to get on the front foot at the start of the season and impress. Hopefully I did that."

After signing a three-year Dragons contract, Sloan has joined the top squad as a development player but his performance in last Friday night’s trial against Cronulla suggested he could be ready for his Telstra Premiership debut this season.

Sloan scored the opening try of the match and his combination with precocious playmaker Jayden Sullivan was evident after years of playing together at junior level.

The pair were members of the Illawarra Steelers' 2019 SG Ball winning team, along with centres Mat and Max Feagai and five-eighth Junior Amone.

sloan-29418407sloant-1gp_2445.jpg

Tyrell Sloan during the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning season. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"I found the footy really fast and a lot different to what I have played so far but to play with Junior and Bud [Sullivan], I grew up playing with them and to get on that stage was really special," Sloan said.

"At the start of the game we just looked at each other and said ‘this is our time’, so it was a good feeling.

"It made it so much easier, and even when I first came into pre-season the first couple of weeks were easy. I spoke to the Feagai twins and Bud and they didn’t really have any young guys coming through in their first pre-season but for me the transition was good."

remote.axd

All Stars: Where it all began

All Stars: Where it all began

Matt Dufty and Cody Ramsey are likely to be Griffin’s preferred fullback options, but Sloan can also play on the wing.

"Wherever I play this year I just want to play consistent footy and having Duft and Cody in front of me really helps me a lot," he said. "If I can learn from them it is going to help my game and I want to try and help theirs’ too.

"I played a bit of wing in the SG Ball side and I like it on the wing. I had the Feagais as my centres so I didn’t have to do much defence, because they do it all, and I scored a couple of tries as well."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...helped-blood-sloan-for-dragons-rookie-season/

brissiedragon

Juniors
Just on Lawrie. He is only 23 and had to shoulder the burden of basically #1 prop for us this year.
Josh Kerr is older as is our newest recruit in Faamausili.

Yes, he needs to add some variation to his game, but that was never going to happen under Mc85. We'll see if Hook can do this.

Isn't it also the arguement that props dont develop fully untill their later 20's?

Last year Lawrie was a case of best house on the worst street in a bad neighborhood. I do recall a couple of very poor goal line defensive efforts by Lawrie last year. I think he is more of a lock and he doesnt quite have the size to be a damaging prop. He's young and I am keen to see to how he and other players improve or not under Hook. I think that will be an intriguing little sub plot this year that I am looking forward to watching.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Last year Lawrie was a case of best house on the worst street in a bad neighborhood. I do recall a couple of very poor goal line defensive efforts by Lawrie last year. I think he is more of a lock and he doesnt quite have the size to be a damaging prop. He's young and I am keen to see to how he and other players improve or not under Hook. I think that will be an intriguing little sub plot this year that I am looking forward to watching.
He’ll go well under Hook, above average player for his age, keen to learn and hard working. He’s not truly elite yet but he’s certainly above plodder status of say a Latimore or even Graham was in his last year or two.

Latest posts