What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

BLM01

First Grade
Sloan's selection is interesting. We had good wingers available, so why not Ramsey to FB if no Dufty?

Does this suggest Ramsey has failed in his auditions?

If it was purely a case of "blooding" youth, what an aweful night to choose.
No, not after 1.5 games for Ramsay. They will battle it out in off season. No doubt Cody has to improve and he knows it

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Well done Tyrell!

Yeah I agree.

Sloan deserves another run after that debut and play Dufty at 14.

I also reckon if Dufty gets no offers then I would like Hook to consider playing him there next season.

He could be a lethal weapon...
Totally agree- Dufty has had his day at FB and it hasn't worked out-now for the next chapter of his life- the real battle is in his own head- will he accept a new role as "super sub" for the halves or dummy half or is he going to stubbornly cling to the fantasy that someone, somewhere out in the NRL will sign him as an elite, starting full-back.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Definitely a player to follow and look forward for his next game.An exciting fullback prospect.
I

It's an inspirational story and you just want the kid to succeed. So glad the team was able to get a win for him with this "ma" watching and that his try was an important part of that. The conditions last night were terrible and full-backs in particular in all the local games I saw found the gusty wind impossible to deal with so I hope he gets another chance.

The Dufty FB defenders will claim that he showed the same defensive, high ball and strength (rag dolling, stolen ball in possession) shortcomings as their man but Tyrell is coming back from a broken jaw and he's bound to be not only lacking in weight but also confidence. Hopefully both will return in coming months- but the club must back him and put their trust in him as our long-term FB. If necessary, bring in a mentor- I would suggest throwing the cheque book at Billy Slater to teach him the things that Dufty can't.

One skill he put on display that Dufty hasn't shown to date is a short kicking game- there was both a left-footed grubber and a right footed chip- the latter of which resulted in his try. Also showed signs of a good bi-lateral passing game.

giboz71

First Grade
Look it’s his first game so I’ll try not to be too hard on him. But if we’re looking for a fullback who’s not afraid of getting hurt, putting body on the line etc (which was the main knock on Dufty and the reason he’s been walked), are we certain Sloan is that player? Looked tentative at certain moments, and didn’t really show a fearless attitude like some other rookies have shown. Namely Reece Walsh, and Preston Campbell’s young fella.

Said it in JA, I was looking for that kind of performance given the hype.

I like how we’re setting a standard now, no more Dufty, no more Norman. Can’t just be happy with near enough is good enough, which is the way it should be.

That needs to apply to how we assess our rookies. He needs to show something special this year to prove he’s the answer at FB (and justify our decision not to pursue externally, a guy like Hynes for example).

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Look it’s his first game so I’ll try not to be too hard on him. But if we’re looking for a fullback who’s not afraid of getting hurt, putting body on the line etc (which was the main knock on Dufty and the reason he’s been walked), are we certain Sloan is that player? Looked tentative at certain moments, and didn’t really show a fearless attitude like some other rookies have shown. Namely Reece Walsh, and Preston Campbell’s young fella.

Said it in JA, I was looking for that kind of performance given the hype.

I like how we’re setting a standard now, no more Dufty, no more Norman. Can’t just be happy with near enough is good enough, which is the way it should be.

That needs to apply to how we assess our rookies. He needs to show something special this year to prove he’s the answer at FB (and justify our decision not to pursue externally, a guy like Hynes for example).
Yes- I was an advocate of going after Hynes but Hook passed on him- there's no other FB on the market, that I know of anyway, who is at Hynes level.

So we have to make do with what we've got. Sloan is 19 and hopefully, with the right influences (like Slater), is young enough to learn the good habits and unlearn the bad habits he may have picked up along the way. And, as I said earlier, he may have been tentative given he's returning from a broken jaw and his confidence is temporarily down.

rasaint

Juniors
Yes I am a Dufty fan but want Tyrell to succeed big time.

Dufty‘s first NRL game saw him score a sublime individual try against Manly. Criss crossed west, back east and accelerated through the line and then had the high end speed to hold out Tommy Turbo for a 30 metre line dash to score.

Tyrell was confident, returned the ball well and had a big dig. Beaut kick chase and back up for a well deserved try. Also stopped try with one on one tackle second half. On the downside, pushed a failed pass, got stripped ( in his defence seem to stripped on the ground after tackle complete; could have been our penalty), weak arm grabbed and missed Whitehead tackle in Raiders 2nd try and seemed lax behind the line when big Tapine burst over for his Raiders try.

In other words a ‘ rocks and diamonds‘ type situation. A bit like…..

Tyrell has a beautiful floating running action and may well approach Dufty’s speed. That was only his first match in NRL and I will be cheering Tyrell on to hopefully build into a top liner.

Illusion

Bench

Dufty‘s first NRL game saw him score a sublime individual try against Manly. Criss crossed west, back east and accelerated through the line and then had the high end speed to hold out Tommy Turbo for a 30 metre line dash to score.

Tyrell was confident, returned the ball well and had a big dig. Beaut kick chase and back up for a well deserved try. Also stopped try with one on one tackle second half. On the downside, pushed a failed pass, got stripped ( in his defence seem to stripped on the ground after tackle complete; could have been our penalty), weak arm grabbed and missed Whitehead tackle in Raiders 2nd try and seemed lax behind the line when big Tapine burst over for his Raiders try.

Tyrell has a beautiful floating running action and may well approach Dufty’s speed. That was only his first match in NRL and I will be cheering Tyrell on to hopefully build into a top liner.
The kid will get there , confident , willing to try something in his first game seems to have good speed will only get better .....

Dragon David

First Grade

I have been a Dufty fan as well for sometime and always looked forward to watching him play. However, I have to accept that he isn't the player that Hook wants as the Dragons fullback and I'm sure that Hook has no plans to put him in as a sub because there are the other juniors ready, willing and able to fill in for that position. The idea is good and would be nice to see how he goes as a benchy if in fact he can be given a chance.

There is no turning back from Hook's decision with Dufty and of course Norman, so we have got to believe in what Hook is doing and believe in the players who will have starring roles come 2022 including Sloan (he had a winning debut with a try and the game and will have definitely loved the experience to gee him up for future first grade games), Sullivan, Amone the twins and hopefully a couple of young forwards.

Heres to the future!

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
It's an inspirational story and you just want the kid to succeed. So glad the team was able to get a win for him with this "ma" watching and that his try was an important part of that. The conditions last night were terrible and full-backs in particular in all the local games I saw found the gusty wind impossible to deal with so I hope he gets another chance.

The Dufty FB defenders will claim that he showed the same defensive, high ball and strength (rag dolling, stolen ball in possession) shortcomings as their man but Tyrell is coming back from a broken jaw and he's bound to be not only lacking in weight but also confidence. Hopefully both will return in coming months- but the club must back him and put their trust in him as our long-term FB. If necessary, bring in a mentor- I would suggest throwing the cheque book at Billy Slater to teach him the things that Dufty can't.

One skill he put on display that Dufty hasn't shown to date is a short kicking game- there was both a left-footed grubber and a right footed chip- the latter of which resulted in his try. Also showed signs of a good bi-lateral passing game.

I have been a Dufty fan as well for sometime and always looked forward to watching him play. However, I have to accept that he isn't the player that Hook wants as the Dragons fullback and I'm sure that Hook has no plans to put him in as a sub because there are the other juniors ready, willing and able to fill in for that position. The idea is good and would be nice to see how he goes as a benchy if in fact he can be given a chance.

There is no turning back from Hook's decision with Dufty and of course Norman, so we have got to believe in what Hook is doing and believe in the players who will have starring roles come 2022 including Sloan (he had a winning debut with a try and the game and will have definitely loved the experience to gee him up for future first grade games), Sullivan, Amone the twins and hopefully a couple of young forwards.

Heres to the future!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So firstly, a good debut from Ty in very difficult conditions. Has some things to learn and develop and i think he'll get 2 or 3 more games in first grade, similar to Amone.

I read posts regarding Sloan and i'm in disbelief at some comments, like "disappointed in his performance", or "not ready until 2023" etc. Seriously, wtf were you watching!!! The time for rose-coloured glasses has past. Dufty is gone, there will be no last minute turn around.

As for Ramsey at fullback, there's a definite difference between him and Sloan. Ramsey plays frantic football (imo), many moving parts all happening at once. Sloan is just the opposite. Both need to put on some weight, but, for Ramsey his body can only take on 2 maybe 3 more kg's. The weight he's put on already has already had an effect on his speed. Sloan, on the other hand, can put on 5+ kg's without effecting too much.

Last point, again Sloan's debut was very good, and remember, he'd been out for a fouple of weeks with a calf injury, and only several weeks ago was playing SG Ball. Plus add in a pretty bad broken jaw, which had a real impact on his weight.

Duff will see out most of the season at fullback, but, i'm confident Sloan will be our custodian next year.

Dragons4me

Juniors
I wasn’t at the game and this is only an observation from watching on tv, but seemed to be constantly barking orders from the back.
That other fullback doesn’t do that.

Yeah I noticed that too. Young kid in his first game showed plenty of confidence. I see the same thing in Sullivan and Amone. Can't wait to see the three of them on the field together. Exciting times ahead.

Dorsai

Juniors
The lad impressed me. My only concern, and the same goes for Ramsey, is their small stature. I read that he is recovering from injury and if that is the case, we can only hope he beefs up somewhat. He definitely showed some skills last night.

We seem to have some good value in the lower grades that under McIdiot would never have seen the light of day until they were at another club. Good to see Hook is at least giving some of these kids a go.

Living out of state makes it difficult to see any up and coming juniors so I rely on the forums. Where as once it was great to go to the game and see all 3 grades in action, pencil in the ones to watch, today there are names there that I recognise from reading here but that's it. It would be great if we could see more junior footy on the box.

I vaguely remember something about a second game, juniors, starting to be played prior to the main game. Did that ever get off the ground?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I was glad that the kid got his chance......and he went ok for his first outing.....but I would like to see him put some beef on before I was confident he could handle the no 1 jersey week in week out especially in defence.....understandably he was a bit tentative at times but Im sure as he matures and fills out a bit his time wilk come

Latest posts