What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

slippery5

Juniors
Sloan has to start at fullback for the rest of the season. He looks completely up to it. We only have 7 more weeks, perfect opportunity for him to lock down that position long term.
Amone plays 6. He’s bigger and stronger than Sullivan at this stage.
McCulloch starts 9 with Clune on the bench for relief.
1. Sloan
6. Amone
7. Hunt
9. McCulloch
14. Clune

Dufty and Norman can sit on the sidelines, not wanted. If you cannot tackle you cannot wear the jersey.
Clune will get us no where, if that's your starting spine then why not have Sullivane at 14??? but I would swap Amone with Sullivan.

Maddragon99

Juniors
My feeling is that Hook doesn't want to use Sloan a lot just yet. Hook definitely has him as the full back for 2022 but Hook wants to gradually get him to experience some first grade game time but at the same time not over do it in his development and progress to hamper anything until the off-season during which he will have increased muscle and weight growth.

A friend of mine who has been part of his education in high school considers Sloan to be set for 2022.
JP is a very average player but he is pretty good at kick returns. Hopefully Dufty just passes the ball off to him so he does the dirty work.

Maddragon99

Juniors
He is obviously very very fit and very much suited to the fullback position. The future looks bright, touch of beef and he's good to go.
He’s obviously still got an adolescents body but that will change. What I like about him is that he’s fearless putting his body on the line.

Interesting that Dufty doesn’t feature in the stats in the same way as Sloan. Dufty perhaps over rated? Everyone talks about his ANZAC Day try but that was in 2019, but then again I think we’ve all moved on now & all in on Tyrell.

thebigredv

First Grade
Anyone read or heard anything about why this guy is not being selected? Bird and now back to Dufty in favour.

Are there huge weaknesses that Hook is seeing that I am not? There were some comments about his defence. Is it purely his age and inexperience?

I think we've all seen a touch of what Sloan has to offer our team. His position is maybe the most crucial void left in our team, along with 6. If nothing else, he has deserved a chance beyond his three try, three game appearances. He has flair and athleticism in spades, the kind that Tingha and Choc made us fall deeply in love with the club.

What's more, there's been a lot made about Mybe bringing great character to the club. How about this young guy? He already speaks like a leader with wisdom beyond his years. Has done it tougher than any other player at the club and he wants to be a spokesperson and role model. Anyone that hasn't already, should listen to his interview with Jake Duke. He is an inspiration. Meanwhile Dufty is in the paper talking about how he and Griffin don't see eye to eye.

I'm not saying if we don't play him we will lose him, but aren't we best to be testing these positions now? This season has got away from us. Do the experimenting now rather than at the start of a fresh one.

Last edited:

Tim.butler

Juniors
Me thinks that whilst we still have a mathematical chance of making the top eight, Hook will continue to play the more experienced players.
I know that historically its very rare a first grade coach will throw 4 inexperienced players (eg. Sloan, Amone, Sullivan and Feagai) into first grade all at the same time. That said the Storm played a group of kids together early on - anyone remember Smith, Slater, Cronk, Inglis.
Whilst normally I can understand that logic unless our young guys are in physical or mental danger of playing together, and I might be a tad blind but I can’t see that, then I would give these four young guys a go together.
For me the enthusiasm and attacking flare they bring to the team is invaluable and my gut is telling me this is what the other more experienced players at the Dragons need right now to help get them back on track.
Have faith in the young guys Hook, it’s what you need to show them in bucket loads right now. Do this and they will pay you back ten fold.

He is obviously very very fit and very much suited to the fullback position. The future looks bright, touch of beef and he's good to go.
How about other stats like metres gained, try assists, tackle busts and tackles made. Reckon those attributes are more important for Sloan's development. His defense also looks sound. Saw him cut the feet from under one runaway Cowboy saving a certain try. Changa would've been proud of that one. Same with his step. Speaking of size, Sloan looks a decent size already. Changa one of the greatest custodians to lace up a boot.. was like a matchstick with the wood scraped off.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
How about other stats like metres gained, try assists, tackle busts and tackles made. Reckon those attributes are more important for Sloan's development. His defense also looks sound. Saw him cut the feet from under one runaway Cowboy saving a certain try. Changa would've been proud of that one. Same with his step. Speaking of size, Sloan looks a decent size already. Changa one of the greatest custodians to lace up a boot.. was like a matchstick with the wood scraped off.
Sloan looks to have those things down pat to me, and will only improve with a bit of size which he will put on considering he's a teenager in his first year of grade. Times have changed since Changa mate, Turbo would run rings around him as would Tedesco and they are built like back rowers. In case its not clear I'm a huge fan of Sloan and am certain he will make it. As part of that development you have to be an idiot to think that some time in the weights room isn't a part of that.

blacksafake

First Grade
What impresses me about him are his effort plays. Always around the ball but one play on Saturday imo was huge. Just before their big 2nd rower crashed over early in the 2nd half he missed the tackle on the long break before but got up off the ground & chased before bringing him down close to the line.
I know they scored of next play but the effort shown was totally opposite to dufty who would have stayed on the groun.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What impresses me about him are his effort plays. Always around the ball but one play on Saturday imo was huge. Just before their big 2nd rower crashed over early in the 2nd half he missed the tackle on the long break before but got up off the ground & chased before bringing him down close to the line.
I know they scored of next play but the effort shown was totally opposite to dufty who would have stayed on the groun.
He’s a great support player and has really good instincts. Can’t wait to see him after another off season or two.

Spazer

Juniors
Love the kids vision. Right before the 2nd rav try you can see sloan look up and see the winger out of position and sweeps around the blind side giving amone a heads up and goes the short side to put rav over to score.

Good evasive step, fast and plays eyes up footy. So far I'm loving the combination of sloan and amone, very exciting stuff.

blacksafake

First Grade
Love the kids vision. Right before the 2nd rav try you can see sloan look up and see the winger out of position and sweeps around the blind side giving amone a heads up and goes the short side to put rav over to score.

Good evasive step, fast and plays eyes up footy. So far I'm loving the combination of sloan and amone, very exciting stuff.
Exciting times ahead.
Supporters just have to be patient.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
What also impressed me was the pace he showed in catching up to that player- it was like he was turbo charged.

In case its not clear I'm a huge fan of Sloan
Me too. He Sullivan and Amone.. the three amigos. I have followed the Dragons for 50 years and have seen many players wear the Red V. Only a small minority excited me. These three do. They have a magic rapport which comes from playing a lot of junior footy together. They have great awareness, speed, creativity and can all defend. They will form the nucleus of our spine for years to come.. barring serious injury

That was the grasscutter I was talking about. To get yourself up and chase and bring your opponent down with a flying tackle within a metre of the whitewash.. showed great determination and skill. Kinda reminded me of Chook Raper's famous tackle on a runaway Barry Rushworth all those years ago. In a final between the Saints and the Eels I think it was.

redv13

Bench
That was the grasscutter I was talking about. To get yourself up and chase and bring your opponent down with a flying tackle within a metre of the whitewash.. showed great determination and skill. Kinda reminded me of Chook Raper's famous tackle on a runaway Barry Rushworth all those years ago. In a final between the Saints and the Eels I think it was.
Something Dufty has not attempted once in 80 fg games. Says it all

Latest posts