What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Might be a bit of a long bow but I hold the club, at least partially, responsible for the predicament Sloan now finds himself in. It's just lovely they're taking such care of him now - if true - but had they handled things differently, it may never have come to this.

The right message on Saturday night - or even after the Cronulla game - would have been something like:

"He had a tough night but in these conditions, lots of more experienced fullbacks would struggle. Tyrell knows what we think of him and we believe he's got the sort of talent that will win us plenty of games for years to come. He made some mistakes tonight but young guys make mistakes. We'll be encouraging him to learn from it and continue on the path to becoming the player we know he can be."

Instead we got mumbles, cliches and a hangdog expression. Real Dragons-level leadership.

Dragon David

First Grade
Might be a bit of a long bow but I hold the club, at least partially, responsible for the predicament Sloan now finds himself in. It's just lovely they're taking such care of him now - if true - but had they handled things differently, it may never have come to this.

The right message on Saturday night - or even after the Cronulla game - would have been something like:

"He had a tough night but in these conditions, lots of more experienced fullbacks would struggle. Tyrell knows what we think of him and we believe he's got the sort of talent that will win us plenty of games for years to come. He made some mistakes tonight but young guys make mistakes. We'll be encouraging him to learn from it and continue on the path to becoming the player we know he can be."

Instead we got mumbles, cliches and a hangdog expression. Real Dragons-level leadership.
Don't you think guys that part of young players' development are words of encouragement as put by Gourley? It could have been said to Sloan by Hook but if Hook made a statement to confirm this in a video on the Dragon's website, we would all be happy so to speak.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think our admin and associated staff are so poor at communicating on our website. Bloody hell just look at it. Absolutely no communication just pre game and post game garble. Everybody like Haran, Webb, Players, Hook in general, just nothing. Is there anyone running this club.....hello.....anybody home?

justadragon

Bench
I think our admin and associated staff are so poor at communicating on our website. Bloody hell just look at it. Absolutely no communication just pre game and post game garble. Everybody like Haran, Webb, Players, Hook in general, just nothing. Is there anyone running this club.....hello.....anybody home?
and over 70% is cut and paste from the NRL website

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Hook loses the plot with every game we lose (which is many). Dropping Sloan again is the worst thing for him and while Ramsey deserves to show his merit, Hook is making things worse by chopping and changing. The only reason why he is chopping and changing fullbacks is that ............ he doesn't have a clue as to who should be in that position. He just wants quick fixes and hope that by having quick fixes they might work and he comes out smelling like roses but he will end up smelling like a skunk.

Agree with all that DD but imo the bigger problems with Hook are inconsistency, unfairness, favouritism, poor judgement and just plain pig headed stubbornness. Clubs rightly condemn inconsistent, unfair, refereeing decisions and judiciary sentencing and our club has been a major victim of these over the last few seasons. But SGI ignores it when its coming from the head coach. Last year, we were all gobsmacked by the continued selection of Corey Norman when, for all that he contributed, we would have done better with Greg Norman. This season, when every other team is looking to increase the speed and impact of its spine, we seem determined to select players ( Principally Macca but also Bird and Mbye) who are slow in thought and action and ignore the exceptional young players who showed glimpses of what they were capable last year. Yes, Sullivan has been injured, and yes Hook has finally started to select Amone in a starting position but it's like pulling teeth. In the forwards, it took Hook an eternity to work out that Josh Kerr is a waste of space and largely a creation of the indigenous industry that chooses players for rep roles and don't get me started on why Fui and Jackson Ford are still at the club and Alvaro, now gone, was retained in the first place.

Excuse me while I take my blood pressure medication.

redv13

Bench
Agree with all that DD but imo the bigger problems with Hook are inconsistency, unfairness, favouritism, poor judgement and just plain pig headed stubbornness. Clubs rightly condemn inconsistent, unfair, refereeing decisions and judiciary sentencing and our club has been a major victim of these over the last few seasons. But SGI ignores it when its coming from the head coach. Last year, we were all gobsmacked by the continued selection of Corey Norman when, for all that he contributed, we would have done better with Greg Norman. This season, when every other team is looking to increase the speed and impact of its spine, we seem determined to select players ( Principally Macca but also Bird and Mbye) who are slow in thought and action and ignore the exceptional young players who showed glimpses of what they were capable last year. Yes, Sullivan has been injured, and yes Hook has finally started to select Amone in a starting position but it's like pulling teeth. In the forwards, it took Hook an eternity to work out that Josh Kerr is a waste of space and largely a creation of the indigenous industry that chooses players for rep roles and don't get me started on why Fui and Jackson Ford are still at the club and Alvaro, now gone, was retained in the first place.

Bit harsh on Josh Kerr. Rather him than Woods any day of the week

justadragon

Bench

agree with everything you have said except i also believe that josh kerr should have played against the titans

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

His words and his actions don't match- said (rightly) that rather than focusing on Tyrell's poor game, the club's more senior players should be looking at themselves (or words to that effect). But it's only Tyrell that gets dropped- now twice. On a wet night like last Saturday, the full-back position would be the toughest position on the field- as it was when we played the Sharks at WIN.

Gutherson and Tedesco both made terrible errors in Magic round resulting in tries which could be directly attributed to the conditions. They won't be dropped.

Hook pretends to be caring for Sloan but in reality he's destroying the confidence of an exceptionally talented player. All this BS about social media being the reason for him being dropped is ridiculous. Social media is here to stay. Hiding T in KOE is hardly going to make it go away.

Wasnt it reported that Sloan was being rested not sacked because of welfare issues , related to soc media trolling ?
If that is the case i have no issue with it
Had not heard that. Likely reason he cancelled his SM acct. Should also keep it cancelled.. trolls are the lowest.
Change the coaching staff, and advise Sloan of a new individual coaching program designed just for him. Also, advise him that he is wanted his progression will be supported with skills development that he needs right now.
Is this the norm. Sounds an excellent idea if the club sees him as a future long termer. Add his mates Sullivan and Junior to the program. They all have unpolished skills at present.
Change the coaching staff,
You mean the attack coach staff. Say from whoever it is at present to Joey Johns. He specially will be great for Sullo and Junior being a half himself.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am really hoping Hook throws Sloan into the No.1 24 hours before kickoff and he has named Ramsey just so the kid does not cop any abuse during the week. Saints have some real diC$#head fans who like abusing a 19 year old kid starting his NRL career. All clubs will pounce on this if they are not careful like the Dogs and offer him big $$ to leave all because of these so called fans and Hooks stupidity. Sloan/Sullivan and Amone are the future.

Dragon David

First Grade
I am really hoping Hook throws Sloan into the No.1 24 hours before kickoff and he has named Ramsey just so the kid does not cop any abuse during the week. Saints have some real diC$#head fans who like abusing a 19 year old kid starting his NRL career. All clubs will pounce on this if they are not careful like the Dogs and offer him big $$ to leave all because of these so called fans and Hooks stupidity. Sloan/Sullivan and Amone are the future.
How long do we have to keep saying that Sloan, Amone and Sullivan are the future? Falling on deaf ears. I must admit though that now that all are available including Ramsey, there is the chance that we will see much more of them playing together for the rest of the year.

To me the year is a write off. Too many ifs and buts and maybes and hardly any consistency - up and down from one week to the next.

Tyrell would be unbelievably good under different coaches. We have been patient with him as fans but we would be more at ease if he played in first grade every week if only Hook just keeps playing him and not dropping him like he has done.

We have nothing to lose and the guys need lots of first grade experience.

Yow

Juniors
How long do we have to keep saying that Sloan, Amone and Sullivan are the future? Falling on deaf ears. I must admit though that now that all are available including Ramsey, there is the chance that we will see much more of them playing together for the rest of the year.

To me the year is a write off. Too many ifs and buts and maybes and hardly any consistency - up and down from one week to the next.

Tyrell would be unbelievably good under different coaches. We have been patient with him as fans but we would be more at ease if he played in first grade every week if only Hook just keeps playing him and not dropping him like he has done.

They are our future and i would like to see them i 1ST grade sometimes its better to bring them along steadly Roosters get praised for this we get bagged.

BBTB

Juniors

Think your "this year is a write off "might be a bit premature, we're 2pts outside of the 8.

Dragon David

First Grade
They are our future and i would like to see them i 1ST grade sometimes its better to bring them along steadly Roosters get praised for this we get bagged.
The Roosters bring their young ones along steadily as you say Yow and that is good for the Roosters because they have had others who were very good holding onto their first grade spots until the likes of say Walker became more confident (or should I say, (Robbo had confidence in him) to play first grade fulltime.

We on the other hand don't have any other now. If Hook wants to bring the young ones along steadily, why did we get rid of Dufty and Norman? If both were still in our system, we could have had some experienced guys still doing their thing (albeit not too efficiently) until the young ones steadily improved and were totally ready in the eyes of Hook. It is a catch 22 situation. Is Mbye at fullback better in attack than Dufty? Why get rid of Dufty and sign up Mbye? Let Dufty do his thing while Sloan/Ramsey become better.

To me, we don't have the luxury of steadily bringing up the young ones if the current ones are not that much better.

Dragon David

First Grade
Think your "this year is a write off "might be a bit premature, we're 2pts outside of the 8.
I can appreciate your point of view BBTB, but until the Dragons can show me in the next 4-5 games that they can actually play top 8 football, then I would agree with you. Just watching the Broncos game against the Knights and their previous games that they have won in a row - do we have any semblance of their skills in both attack and defence? We are shit compared to even them and we get done by the Titans because we were dumb and the next game against the Warriors will be a case of will our defence be good enough because I'm telling you the Warriors will score points but can we?

Draginzaaar

Bench
I can appreciate your point of view BBTB, but until the Dragons can show me in the next 4-5 games that they can actually play top 8 football, then I would agree with you. Just watching the Broncos game against the Knights and their previous games that they have won in a row - do we have any semblance of their skills in both attack and defence? We are shit compared to even them and we get done by the Titans because we were dumb and the next game against the Warriors will be a case of will our defence be good enough because I'm telling you the Warriors will score points but can we?
I know we will let the Warriors make 60 to 70 metres per set and we will miss about 55 tackles in the game.

Latest posts