What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

Dragon David

First Grade
When Sloan is playing better and confidence good he needs to be at 1 lets not jump the gun its only been one game at fullback for Ramsey , hope he continues playing well then we will have a good problem if both are playing ok ...... Time will tell ......
This is it Illusion. One game, which was pretty good though, and it was against the Warriors is no indication that he wins the fullback spot hands down. We need to see how he plays in the next few games to see if he is the real deal. Sloan was picked over Ramsey initially but Ramsey has come back more confident and eager to play well now that he is free of any injuries. Just have to wait and see and I hope with this sort of competition that both become much better players.

Dragon David

First Grade
Griffins explanation on Tyrell Sloan's current situation in his development -

St George-Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has opened up in detail on the call to drop exciting fullback Tyrell Sloan several times, suggesting he won’t be pressured into rushing the 19-year-old’s first grade development.
Griffins use of Sloan has been one of the most intriguing selection talking points of the season so far, drawing plenty of criticism in the process. The teenager played in the first three NRL matches of 2022 but has featured in only one, in Round 10, since.
In that time Griffin has preferred to use veteran Moses Mbye and, most recently, Cody Ramsey at fullback and it appears Sloan will have to bide his time despite exploding onto the scene late last year.

Speaking in an exclusive NRL 360 interview, Griffin explained why he was being so cautious with the teenager.
“Young Sloan is an enormous talent and obviously this time last year he was playing in the (under) 19s,” Griffin said.

“They all mature at different rates and he’s just taking a little bit of time to really grab onto the NRL.
“He is a young exciting player of the future so it’s the present that we’ve got to care for him and help him get right. It’s not a matter of him just going ‘bang’ ... they never do young players. We saw young (Sam) Walker at the Roosters really flatten out at the back end of last year.”
Griffin went into detail about some of the aspects of Sloan’s game that still needed work.
“It’s a tough position fullback. You’ve got to organise defensive lines, catch high balls, it’s an individual position as well as a really important team position,” he said.
“So we’re just helping him understand the really important parts of organising defensive lines, obviously catching the balls under pressure and when he gets that right all that stuff that God gave him, all that natural talent will mean even more.”

Griffin is renowned for his work developing young players later used the example of playmakers as to how most young players needed considerable time in the top grade to reach their full potential.
“Everyone is impatient and that’s just the way we live these days ... football, life everything. Everybody wants to see a 21-year-old be able to guide their team,” Griffin said.
“The closest we’ve seen to that is (Nathan) Cleary and that’s why he’s so special. He’s never been dropped, he came in at 18 and now as a 23, 24 he’s a master of his craft.
“...Think back to (Cooper) Cronk and (Johnnathan) Thurston and Ben Hunt, it took them until they were 23 and the three of them started as bench players,
“... but if they’re good people and they work hard and they’ve got some ability, if you can stick with them they’ll get you somewhere.”

denis preston

First Grade

St George-Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has opened up in detail on the call to drop exciting fullback Tyrell Sloan several times, suggesting he won’t be pressured into rushing the 19-year-old’s first grade development.
Griffins use of Sloan has been one of the most intriguing selection talking points of the season so far, drawing plenty of criticism in the process. The teenager played in the first three NRL matches of 2022 but has featured in only one, in Round 10, since.
In that time Griffin has preferred to use veteran Moses Mbye and, most recently, Cody Ramsey at fullback and it appears Sloan will have to bide his time despite exploding onto the scene late last year.

Speaking in an exclusive NRL 360 interview, Griffin explained why he was being so cautious with the teenager.
“Young Sloan is an enormous talent and obviously this time last year he was playing in the (under) 19s,” Griffin said.

“They all mature at different rates and he’s just taking a little bit of time to really grab onto the NRL.
“He is a young exciting player of the future so it’s the present that we’ve got to care for him and help him get right. It’s not a matter of him just going ‘bang’ ... they never do young players. We saw young (Sam) Walker at the Roosters really flatten out at the back end of last year.”
Griffin went into detail about some of the aspects of Sloan’s game that still needed work.
“It’s a tough position fullback. You’ve got to organise defensive lines, catch high balls, it’s an individual position as well as a really important team position,” he said.
“So we’re just helping him understand the really important parts of organising defensive lines, obviously catching the balls under pressure and when he gets that right all that stuff that God gave him, all that natural talent will mean even more.”

Griffin is renowned for his work developing young players later used the example of playmakers as to how most young players needed considerable time in the top grade to reach their full potential.
“Everyone is impatient and that’s just the way we live these days ... football, life everything. Everybody wants to see a 21-year-old be able to guide their team,” Griffin said.
“The closest we’ve seen to that is (Nathan) Cleary and that’s why he’s so special. He’s never been dropped, he came in at 18 and now as a 23, 24 he’s a master of his craft.
“...Think back to (Cooper) Cronk and (Johnnathan) Thurston and Ben Hunt, it took them until they were 23 and the three of them started as bench players,
“... but if they’re good people and they work hard and they’ve got some ability, if you can stick with them they’ll get you somewhere.”
Cant fault Hooks read on this at all.

Dragon David

First Grade
Cant fault Hooks read on this at all.
Yes thats right Denis. Got to hand it to him. Take things nice and easy with these young ones because they are just that. By doing this, Sloan will become a much better player all round and that is what the aim is.

In the meantime, we have Ramsey who is older and stronger and using his guile and abilities in the right way which I think Hook is very pleased to see.

Mojo

Bench
Yes thats right Denis. Got to hand it to him. Take things nice and easy with these young ones because they are just that. By doing this, Sloan will become a much better player all round and that is what the aim is.

In the meantime, we have Ramsey who is older and stronger and using his guile and abilities in the right way which I think Hook is very pleased to see.
Hooks record demonstrates that developing young players is his strong point. Unfortunately, his record also shows that his weakness has been sticking with favorites to the detriment of his teams. I suspect his stint at the Dragons might be causing Hook to confront this weakness. Let's hope so. After all, 2022 is a shot duck so he has time to build a solid side.

True_Believer

Juniors

Not to mention that Cleary had halves partners of Soward, Wallace, Moylan, Maloney and then Luai during this period of growth. Luai coming in gradually from 2018 to allow his development as well. Competent halves that would have (and did) run the game to let him develop.

Dragon David

First Grade
Not to mention that Cleary had halves partners of Soward, Wallace, Moylan, Maloney and then Luai during this period of growth. Luai coming in gradually from 2018 to allow his development as well. Competent halves that would have (and did) run the game to let him develop.
It goes to show that you have got to be patient - just like you have got to learn how to walk before you can run.

I wonder how the Penrith fans were like when they knew that they had these young guns in the names of Cleary, Luai, Crichton, To'o etc waiting to play first grade? Were they patient? Now that they have made first grade, who now are waiting in the wings to one day play first grade? Will the fans be patient to see the likes of Niwhai Puru, Hohepa Puru and Connor Mason, along with Brad Fearnley, Liam Henry, Arthur Crichton and Tyrone Sa'u who are the current young guns at Penrith?

This is the reality of league. Patience is the key. Give the young ones plenty of time to develop and in the end success will come.

Dragon David

First Grade
Disappointing if true. The good news is that it is a Mole Rumour, so only has a 2% chance of being right.
I am really hoping that the club is managing the young guns properly. We know that players like Sloan and Sullivan etc are still very young with enormous potential and so many skills. They need to be patient and continue training as hard as possible and to build up physically and mentally and become more confident in themselves. At the same time, the coaching staff and mentors at the club need to be able to speak to them in a way that encourages the players to remain tolerant of what the club is doing and that sooner or later their turn to play fulltime is realised.

denis preston

First Grade
That is just made up and muck raking at it's best. Of course his confidence wouldn't be great but I'm sure Webby would be all over this in the treatment the younger indigenous players are getting. This kid, out of the 3 amigos has the slightest body ( and in the whole side ) so I see his real opportunities next year after a offseason in the gym. In the meantime follow instructions & just keep working on his craft. I'm sure that what all the coaches are telling him. Bloody click bate has a lot to answer !

Dragon David

First Grade
I don't know if the Sloan rumour is true or not.

What I do know as it's the same in the workplace is that I can't manage 19 year olds the same way I did 20 years ago let alone 10 years ago as you have to today.

Hopefully that makes sense.
These young ones need to be constantly told that they are wanted for a significant time at the Dragons and their time will come. Just be patient. Unfortunately patience in todays young people went out of the window at least twenty or more years ago. Waiting for something isn't a thing they like doing even I don't and I'm mid seventies.

These youngsters are seeing some of the other young ones going great guns and in the first grade sides every week and they do their comparisons and think why not me, I'm just as good? There is also the money that they see other young ones are getting and with the money they can spend big on flashy cars and things. Not easy on both sides of the coin.

I don't know if the Sloan rumour is true or not.
..what rumor precisely?
These youngsters are seeing some of the other young ones going great guns and in the first grade sides every week and they do their comparisons and think why not me, I'm just as good? There is also the money that they see other young ones are getting and with the money they can spend big on flashy cars and things. Not easy on both sides of the coin.
Nail on the head. 19 is very immature age when you are a young male footballer or a young male sportsperson period. They need guidance and confidence building. Is obvious now what Griffin is doing with Tyrell, and hopefully the other 3 amigos and any other promising youngsters. Bide your time in the knowledge that the club is going to look after you if they consider you worth their time.

St Tangles

Bench
..what rumor precisely?

Nail on the head. 19 is very immature age when you are a young male footballer or a young male sportsperson period. They need guidance and confidence building. Is obvious now what Griffin is doing with Tyrell, and hopefully the other 3 amigos and any other promising youngsters. Bide your time in the knowledge that the club is going to look after you if they consider you worth their time.
The rumour a few posts above my comment

True_Believer

Juniors
These young ones need to be constantly told that they are wanted for a significant time at the Dragons and their time will come. Just be patient. Unfortunately patience in todays young people went out of the window at least twenty or more years ago. Waiting for something isn't a thing they like doing even I don't and I'm mid seventies.

The big issue with Sloan is that he is either in the team or not. You can't slot him onto the bench because he only really fits into 2 positions and a bench spot for that is a waste. Amone and Bud are easier to cater for and bring through as bench players (similar to how Griffin described Hunt's intro to first grade). So Sloan needs to perform at fullback or he doesn't make the team. It's unfortunate but it's the reality of the situation.