What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyson Frizell 2018

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm getting a little concerned about Tyson this year. He seems to have lost that impact and consistancy from previous seasons. Actually i started to notice this towards the end of 2017. He, either by design or self, wants to try and run over oppisition players rather than aiming for holes to run into or even cutting back into defenders.
His stats for 2018 are the lowest of all our forwards eg:
Tackle efficiency - 88%
Running metres ave - 100
Line breaks - 0
Offloads - 3
Even JG has higher stats as does LAM, Vaughan, JDB and Sims.
He's our champion player but something is just not right. With our halves it should be a far easier task to hit the hole (like Aitken did against the Sharks) and start creating doubts with defenders. At this time he seems more content to run into defenders, innfact he's probably playing more like a prop than an edge forward.
Thoughts?

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree we are using him as a battering ram , when the opposition see him coming they get numbers in the tackle. He could be scouting around our centers at time to see if he can punch into a hole .......

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have been saying for a few years now that I believe that Frizell's best position is lock and that he is better suited to the middle. I have even said that Frizell could be the second best lock in the game behind Taumalolo. Frizell was one of NSW best when playing lock for us 2 years ago. In saying that I am very happy with DeBelin at lock for us.

Maybe Frizell should be moved to the middle and try Host in his position? Myself and many others say that we need one more good tough prop on our roster.

BennyV

Referee
Agree with gitano. Ability to hit holes and choose the correct angle is somewhat rare - attackers need to keep an eye on the defense, an eye on the ball player and make the right decision at the defensive line, at speed and under pressure. Creagh was a master at it and it makes Cordner, Hoffman etc such valuable edge players.

Friz can do it, but doesn’t seem as consistent - his tendency to drop back inside the half boggles the mind. What he should do (and regular does) is target the opposition halfback defending wide and keep hammering him all night. This comes down to game plan.

I’ve thought for years that Friz’s true value is yet to be unlocked.

Frizz is being used as a battering ram.

The problem is Mary, not Frizz.

Hunt and Dufty should be encouraged to create space for Frizz to run at smaller men out wide.

At present he is the one trying to straighten the attack on the right hand side.

His explosiveness as a ball runner is being poorly used.

Life's Good

Coach
Frizz is being used as a battering ram.

The problem is Mary, not Frizz.

Hunt and Dufty should be encouraged to create space for Frizz to run at smaller men out wide.

At present he is the one trying to straighten the attack on the right hand side.

His explosiveness as a ball runner is being poorly used.
This is what I was thinking re Hunt/Widdop. It seems he is getting the ball AFTER Hunt/Widdop have run sideways towards his edge leaving him with no choice but to run the outside in line straight into the already shifted defence where he is pretty well shut down.
If he gets a little closer to the ruck and can pick up a short pass as the defence is still shifting he stands a better chance of busting through or at least getting an offload away.

giboz71

First Grade
His instinct is be a middle forward and initiate collisions.

Just not a classic edge forward. Drives me nuts he gets the ball on the edges and instead of angling out and running at halves and centres, he cuts back into the middle. It’s just muscle memory for him now from his days playing at prop/lock.

I just don’t think he knows how to run lines and run at holes.

His instinct is be a middle forward and initiate collisions.

Just not a classic edge forward. Drives me nuts he gets the ball on the edges and instead of angling out and running at halves and centres, he cuts back into the middle. It’s just muscle memory for him now from his days playing at prop/lock.

I just don’t think he knows how to run lines and run at holes.

But that could be coached out of him and he could cause some real damage on the edges.

Ha, I said "coached"

Old Timer

Coach
I suspect this is somewhat of a tactic devised by Mc Fookknuckle
The strong determined run back into the centre IMO is to attract additional opposition forwards to defend against him and then if a quick play the ball is achieved we are in the front foot and can spin the ball wide and this worked well in the first few games.
However as with all things in our attack it is feast or famine and in this case it is done to death and their is no longer any surprise attached to it.
Like last game with all the ball to Dufty or other games when we get kick happy
Every year after 4 or 5 games we become very predictable and the opposition sweat on that.
If the plan for Frizz is set in stone then far better to move him to lock, JDB to starting prop, Graham to bench, Latimore to reggies and Host to starting edge forward.
Far more balanced side and a big body in Host that knows how to effectively target holes.

st.phil

Bench
Nah really doubt you can pin this one on Mary - he has always cut back inside. Previously we pinned it on Mccrone but now Hunt is there, no excuse. Love his energy and runs regardless and would not move him to lock as we have JDB and now lil Mann doinga great job. Still fairly early days w Hunt - let it play out

giboz71

First Grade
Nah really doubt you can pin this one on Mary - he has always cut back inside. Previously we pinned it on Mccrone but now Hunt is there, no excuse. Love his energy and runs regardless and would not move him to lock as we have JDB and now lil Mann doinga great job. Still fairly early days w Hunt - let it play out

Have to agree.

He’s an International forward. Shouldn’t need a coach to tell you to run at holes.

Running good lines is a skill in itself. Host and Thommo did it very well. Ben Creagh also was a master at this. Cordner and Hoffman as well.

Tyson just doesn’t have these instincts.

watatank

Coach
Frizell seems more suited to the middle but then good edge forwards are not that common and he does a good job there. Anyway, I agree he does a good job straightening the attack when we have a habit of going sideways at times.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Not a middle and esp not a lock .. zero passing game ... JDB is one the comps form locks ..

Frizz should come back under only off Dufty ... Hunt needs to give him a little more time/space and run needs to be straighter or even angled out off hunt to try an get him into one on ones with spine players .. similar to how Gelling spotted Hunt.

Passing/Offload stats from Friz - don't know why you bother citing them - he doesn't pass. It was part of the issue last year with him/dugan/Aitken all on the right.

giboz71

First Grade
Having an offload would be handy.

Friz would attract multiple defenders running on edge, and with Aitken or Dufty hanging off him, should be plenty of opportunity to slip an offload.

Just doesn’t look to pass or get his hands free.

getsmarty

Immortal

frizells_20180504.jpg

Friz and the brother he wasn't allowed to grow up with

Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 4 May 2018, 03:59 PM

St George Illawarra star Tyson Frizell has expressed pride that the brother he was prevented from growing up alongside in Australia is now following in his footsteps by making a name for himself on the professional sporting stage.

Shannon Frizell is being touted as a future All Black after scoring a try in his Super Rugby starting debut for the Highlanders last month and grabbing a hat-trick the following weekend but like Tyson, who was a member of Australia’s World Cup-winning team, he is also eligible for Wales and Tonga.

In a twist on the age-old nature versus nurture debate, the brothers were forced to grow up separately as Shannon, who is two years younger than Tyson, was not allowed to live with his adopted family in Australia.

However, they were still able to maintain a close relationship as Tyson would regularly visit Tonga with his parents, Andrew and Sophia, and younger brother, Zion-Mateo, to spend time with Shannon.

"It is something that is pretty common in Tongan culture, to adopt a kid from another family, but he wasn’t able to come over and live with us," Frizell told NRL.com.

"My mum fought hard at that time to get him over but wasn’t allowed for some reason. The immigration laws stopped him coming over and that is why we spent so much time over there at that time, so we could be with him.

frizells.jpg

Shannon and Tyson Frizell. :copyright:NRL Photos
"We used to go back to Tonga twice a year to hang out with him and see the family over in Tonga."

In Tonga, the brothers would play rugby union together, while Shannon went to school with Warriors centre Solomone Kate and Titans star Konrad Hurrell.

Their mother, Sophia, is from the same village, Navai-Folaha, as the mothers of Parramatta centre Michael Jennings and former Melbourne and Broncos star Israel Folau, who now plays for the Wallabies but is believed to be considering a return to the NRL.

However, 26-year-old Tyson said neither he or Shannon, 24, considered they would play either rugby code at an elite level.

"I used to go over there and play in village tournaments with Shannon when we were about 14 or 15," the Dragons second-rower said.

“I was a big, tubby thing and he was a tall, skinny thing but nothing like that was ever thought about and I don’t think we ever imagined being where we are today or even thought it was possible.

"I think we both just grew up playing footy and we enjoyed footy. I don’t think we ever thought we could make a career of it. It wasn’t spoken about at all. It probably seemed like something that was too hard to reach.

"Konrad Hurrell has come from Tonga and he is doing well and Shannon also went to school with Solomone Kata but growing up in Tonga, there is not really any opportunity at all to have a career in sport or anything like that.

"I have been very lucky to get to where I am now and I guess Shannon is just starting what will hopefully be a long and successful career. It is good to see kids who come from a small island like Tonga be able to make something of their lives through sport."

Dragons v Storm - Round 9

Frizell could also have chosen to play Super Rugby but he turned down an offer to join the NSW Waratahs academy after representing Australian Schoolboys in 2009 to sign with Cronulla.

The potential loss for Rugby Australia is now two-fold as Shannon does not qualify to play for the Wallabies, but he is eligible to play for Wales through Swansea-born Andrew.

"Dad was able to get him a British passport and he is able to do whatever he likes now," Frizell said. "Wales is a massive rugby country and he could play for Wales, he could be an All Black or he could play for Tonga."

Tyson played for Wales in 2011 and 2013 and the NSW Origin forward revealed he had been in discussions to represent them again at last year’s World Cup if he wasn’t selected by Australia.

Despite his grandfather being a founder of the Tongan community in Wollongong, Frizell said he had not been approached to join the likes of Jason Taumalolo and Andrew Fifita in playing for the Mate Ma’a, but was already committed to Wales.

"Even though they weren’t really strong, I was in contact with Wales and I was going to go and have a World Cup for them if I didn’t get picked for Australia," he said.

"I just felt at that stage that Wales were the ones who gave me the opportunity to play international footy when I was 19 and I had played in the last World Cup for them.

"Look at the impact Jason and Andrew had for Tonga. You never know I might have had an impact for Wales, and maybe helped grow the game in Wales."

We used to go back to Tonga twice a year to hang out with him and see the family over in Tonga.

Tyson Frizell
However, the Corrimal Cougars junior hasn’t ruled out playing for Tonga later in his career to honour his large Tongan family in Wollongong, who regularly attend Telstra Premiership matches to support him.

"My grandfather’s nickname is 'Captain' because he says he is the first Tongan to come to Wollongong and my mum is the eldest of eight children, so I have got lots of cousins and first cousins in Wollongong," Frizell said.

"I love my Tongan side and I have grown up with Tongan traditions but Australia will always be my No.1 choice and my parents know that.

"I guess one day they might want to see my put on the red jersey [of Tonga] but for now I love wearing the green and gold and that is all I want to be doing."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/09/friz-and-the-brother-he-wasnt-allowed-to-grow-up-with/