What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UEFA Champions League 2012/13

Eddie.

Bench
The 58th season of the CL. With the final to be played at Wembley.

Teams already in the Group stage....

England - Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Arsenal
Spain - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia
Italy - Juventus, AC MIlan
Germany - Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Shalke 04
French - Montpellier, Paris Saint-Germain
Portugese - Porto, Benfica
Dutch - Ajax
Russia - Zenit St Petersburg
Ukraine - Shaktar
Turkish - Galatasaray
Greek - Olympiacos
Denmark - Nordsjaelland

Jimbo

Immortal
The 58th season of the CL. With the final to be played at Wembley.

Teams already in the Group stage....

England - Chelsea

Stopped reading after that :D

It's amazing that no team has managed to defend a CL title, although a 'home' final would give Chelsea a nice boost. Pity Didier won't be there though, given he used to score nearly every time he played...

Real will probably start favourites again, followed by Barca, Bayern and the Manchesters. Juventus and Milan might be a nuisance in the early knockouts, but I can't see them winning it. Porto's threat will be considerably lessened if Hulk leaves

Much depends on the draw, as it did in 2011-12

Big Sam

First Grade
City to face another group of death?
May 23, 2012 By Dale Johnson

You couldn't blame Manchester City fans for thinking Lady Luck had deserted them last August when they were drawn with Bayern Munich, Napoli and Villarreal in the group stage of their first Champions League campaign.

City were in pot three last season, which meant they were always likely to be handed a tough draw. They will move up into pot two for the 2012-13 Champions League, ranked 14th of qualified clubs based on UEFA's coefficient table.

With Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Lyon, Marseille, CSKA Moscow and Villarreal failing to earn a return to Europe's top table this season, coupled with Man City's upward movement from 42nd to 28th in UEFA's overall table, the Premier League champions will now be in the same draw pot as Valencia, Benfica, Shakhtar Donetsk, Zenit St. Petersburg and Schalke 04. That's the good news, now for the draw which City could once more fear.

Juventus will definitely be in pot three, and unless there is a series of dramatic shocks Borussia Dortmund will, once again, find themselves in the bottom pot of seeds.

It means that the champions of Europe's top four leagues could be drawn in the same group: Real Madrid, Man City, Juve and Dortmund. That would be a more daunting group than Roberto Mancini had to face last season, up against three sides who have each won the European Cup in the last 16 years.

The top two pots of seeds are guaranteed to be as follows:

Pot 1 (seeds): Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Arsenal, FC Porto, AC Milan
Pot 2: Valencia, Benfica, Shakhtar Donetsk, Zenit St. Petersburg, Schalke 04, Manchester City

The final two slots in the second pot have yet to be decided, though will be filled by Braga and Dynamo Kiev if they both qualify, with Olympiakos moving up if either fails and Ajax also promoted if two of those three do not make it.

The pots are calculated, based on UEFA's co-efficient system. This scores European performance over a five-year period with points awarded for results and progress in the Champions League and Europa League, plus 20% of the national league coefficient over the same period (33% before 2009).

Even though Dortmund have secured back to back Bundesliga titles ahead of Bayern Munich, and did the double this season, they have done little in Europe in recent years. They were in the UEFA Cup in 2008-09 but failed to make it to the group stage, losing on penalties to Udinese in the first round. Dortmund then won only two of their six matches in the 2010-11 Europa League group stage, and on their return to the Champions League last season had only a victory over Olympiakos and a draw with Arsenal to show for their efforts.

With just three European group stage victories over the past five seasons, Dortmund find themselves languishing way down in 66th in UEFA's coefficient table. Bolton Wanderers, relegated from the Premier League this season, are four places behind in 70th due to reaching the last-16 of the UEFA Cup in 2007-08.

Dortmund were ranked 25th of the Champions League entrants last season, and could find they have dropped to 29th depending on who qualifies. There are six slots in pots two and three which can be affected by the qualifiers, but it is unlikely that enough of the sides ranked higher will fail to qualify for Dortmund to be promoted up to pot three. Also Galatasaray, ranked 60th, stand to benefit first.

There are 11 sides in the qualifiers ranked above Dortmund: Braga, Dynamo Kiev, FC Basel, Panathinaikos, Anderlecht, Spartak Moscow, Fenerbahce, Udinese, Lille, Brugge and Celtic.

Jurgen Klopp's side will be helped if FC Nordsjaelland seal the Danish title on Wednesday evening - they must win at home to AC Horsens to clinch their first Superligaen title. Nordsjaelland (172nd) and Montpellier (140th) would be the only sides to have qualified with a lower coefficient than Dortmund, and both would be debutants.

Copenhagen pipping Nordsjaelland to the championship on the final day would damage the Bundesliga club, as Copenhagen are ranked 44th and would be guaranteed a place in pot three.

If Dortmund are to stand any chance of avoiding the bottom pot, and a potential group of death, they need the likes of Borussia Monchengladbach and Malaga to qualify for the Champions League at the expense of the seeded teams they are likely to meet in the final play-off round.

Juventus will definitely be in pot three regardless of who else qualifies, as will big spending PSG if Copenhagen lose out in Denmark. It is still likely PSG will be in the third pot unless all of the seeded teams qualify. None of the teams in the top two pots will want Juve or PSG in their group.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/column...-dortmund-in-champions-league-battle?&cc=3436

Jimbo

Immortal
No doubt this will have Citeh fans up in arms, with questions like 'how can a team which finished sixth be top seed?' and how can a team we beat which also missed the knockouts last year be seeded third?'

Consistent performance in Europe should be rewarded though, so the co-efficient system should stay

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if the coefficient has the Chavs at 1 and City at 28, it would suggest to me that the coefficient is f**ked, or at least behind the times

Jimbo

Immortal
if the coefficient has the Chavs at 1 and City at 28, it would suggest to me that the coefficient is f**ked, or at least behind the times

The coefficient has Barcelona at 1. Can't say I've ever heard them be referred to as 'chavs' before

As for Citeh, once they have played more than two seasons in Europe from the past five, they will get a better ranking

langpark

First Grade
:? since when do Italy get only 2 spots??? That's BS if correct....

(yes i know about the playoff spot(s) but they deserve more than 2 guaranteed)

Last edited:
Dortmund bottom of whatever group they're in, probably the easiest group as well.

Why would Man City be rated high? They're only participation they were dumped in to the EL. That's how the co-efficient works and as it should. f**k them. They're anonymous in Europe. Earn the right to be a high seed over consistent performances.

Eddie.

Bench
I would place Madrid as outright favourites. Jose's 3rd season, twice bounced out in the semi finals, they have the quality and their squad will get even better.

Then you have probably a bunch of 4 behind them. Barcelona who have been the best and most consistent side in the competition with 3 titles in the last 6 years. I feel they are slightly on the down although they will surely get stronger up front and at the back. Losing Pep as well could be a factor

Man United won't have 2 bad seasons in a row you would feel. They have been to 3 finals in the last 5 years so I expect them to figure. Man City will be better for the run and have a side which is equal to anyone on their day. Bayern have been to 2 finals in the last 3 years and they should also be right up there.

Honestly Chelsea, I can't see us challenging in our current state. This was the final frontier for thee guys and the same hunger won't be there. The huge spades of luck won't be there. We will make the knockout stages however there is a reason we finished 6th in the premier league.

Big Sam

First Grade
I would place Madrid as outright favourites. Jose's 3rd season, twice bounced out in the semi finals, they have the quality and their squad will get even better.

Bit too early for me to make a prediction. I'll wait and see what happens in the transfer market. But so long as they retain the bulk of their squad, and there's no reason they won't, Madrid deserve to start as favourites.

Big Sam

First Grade
Bump.

We now know the match-ups for the Playoff Round to decide the last 10 teams for the Group Stage:

Champions route
Basel (SUI) v Cluj (ROU)
Helsingborgs (SWE) v Celtic (SCO)
BATE Borisov (BLR) v Hapoel Kiryat Shmona (ISR)
Limassol (CYP) v Anderlecht (BEL)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) v Maribor (SVN)

League route
Braga (POR) v Udinese (ITA)
Spartak Moscow (RUS) v Fenerbahçe (TUR)
Málaga (ESP) v Panathinaikos (GRE)
Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) v Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Lille (FRA) v København (DEN)

I'm assuming teams listed first play 1st Leg at home. Tough UCL debuts for Gladbach and Malaga.

Bumble

First Grade
I was sure we'd draw Helsingborgs, what with the Larsson connection and all. Stoked that the first leg is away, knowing a point in Sweden would seal qualification.

Schalke will be an embarrassment

schalke_fan_puke_on_self.jpg

BvB to struggle with real men football and turn shit on once they're bounced in December and play only 1 time in a week