What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK holiday

Lambretta

First Grade
If you were going to the UK for a holiday, what would be on your wishlist of things to do?

I'm going in August next year and will be doing the following

Attend a Premier League game
Go see the MK Dons (lower league hometown team)
Watch a Super League game at Wigan or Warrington (or other)
Visit Scottish Highlands & Island
See family and friends etc

so what would you want to do / or have you done in the UK that was just amazing?

Lambretta

First Grade
Ashes test at Lords

Ooh, good choice. Unfortunately that will be 2019
I was in the UK when England regained the Ashes in 2005 (for the first time for what seemed like a lifetime) - the atmosphere across the Country as a whole was electric. I never thought the Poms gave a shit about cricket, But not the case. They just pretended they didn't give a shit when Australia were pumping them series after series

adamkungl

Immortal
-4 or 5 days in London
-Big SL game or RL event
-Bloodstock or Download festival

Generally speaking, I like to drive around, alternating between a few days in cities then hitting the road for some national parks and country life. Mountains and lakes and general north-ness appeal to me given our lack here.

So i'd plot out a big old road trip hitting some of the top towns and wilderness areas, stopping for 2-3 days in the cities for a rest and a pissup.

Pommy

Coach
An admiral thing to aspire to, but as everyone in London is foreign you'll have a big fight on your hands

After having losing an eye and an arm to some foreigners I think Nelson could be forgiven for having another scrap at Trafalgar with a few more.

Lambretta

First Grade
After having losing an eye and an arm to some foreigners I think Nelson could be forgiven for having another scrap at Trafalgar with a few more.

He lost his eye in the siege of Calvi in 1794 - he turned gay and got shot by a Frenchman at Trafalgar
He'd be on the night bus to Camden acting like that these days

horrie hastings

First Grade
Even if your a republican Buckingham Palace is worth a visit,i was a a bit meh before i went but wow, it was amazing to see.
Apart from that I always love going to Hampton Court Palace and Kew Gardens when in London. A stay in Brighton is always nice and relaxing too.
Driving around Scotland was amazing too, some of the lakeside areas were just beautiful and post card perfect, that was back in 1993 though, I need to have another trip up to Scotland. Last trip to London was 2011.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm with Horrie, Scotland is awesome - places like Isle of Skye, Inverness and Fort William are just perfect. I loved it. Fly in to Edinburgh, hire a car and just head north and then make your way over to the west coast... Can't go wrong!

Lambretta

First Grade
Even if your a republican Buckingham Palace is worth a visit,i was a a bit meh before i went but wow, it was amazing to see.
Apart from that I always love going to Hampton Court Palace and Kew Gardens when in London. A stay in Brighton is always nice and relaxing too.
Driving around Scotland was amazing too, some of the lakeside areas were just beautiful and post card perfect, that was back in 1993 though, I need to have another trip up to Scotland. Last trip to London was 2011.

I remember being in London and I was out drinking with a mate
We decided to walk to Victoria to catch a train as we were errrr, well, eerrr, in need of time to sober up

I remember crossing the Mall, looking right and thinking "Bloody hell, what's Buckingham Palace doing in Sydney? That's really stran....... oh f**k, I'm pissed, I'd forgotten which Country I'm in"

Jet lag and alcohol. What a combination

Lambretta

First Grade
Challenge Cup final is in August.

Now that is an excellent suggestion
I was in the UK when Hull FC were in the Challenge Cup and I was going to a West Ham game in London

Should have made it to the Challenge Cup instead

It's on the 27th of August - not sure if I'll be back from Scotland by then
If I am, then I will go

Lambretta

First Grade
I'm with Horrie, Scotland is awesome - places like Isle of Skye, Inverness and Fort William are just perfect. I loved it. Fly in to Edinburgh, hire a car and just head north and then make your way over to the west coast... Can't go wrong!

I will fly into London and see the folks in Milton Keynes. I will then travel by train to Glasgow (West Coast Main Line takes 2 hours more to get to Scotland, but it's amazing) and start from there.

Skye, Fort William and Inverness will all be visited
7 days minimum in Scotland :)

horrie hastings

First Grade

Stayed at Fort William, it was in March and it snowed, Ben Nevis looked absolutely stunning coated in the white stuff, it was so long ago now but stayed at an old hotel/guest house just out of the town I remember the guy running it looked like Mr Bean, it was creepy but funny at the same time.
I will have to dig out the old photo albums and look at the Scotland photos again, its been almost 24 years since I visited Scotland.

Lambretta

First Grade
nice. never been, it's something I look forward to.

Things I would 100% recommend for other people going to the UK

• Experience a World Class sporting event - doesn't matter if it's a Premier League game, Wimbledon, Ashes at Lords, Formula 1 at Silverstone, etc. Try and get along to something
  • Immerse yourself in London. It's an amazing City with so many great monuments. Appreciate them. St Pauls, Tower of London, visit some museums, take in a show in the West End etc
  • There's more to England than London - England has some amazing towns which are beautiful and steeped in History, York, Oxford, Cambridge, Chester, Stratford-Upon-Avon, visit one or more
  • Stonehenge - how the f**k did people without machinery build such a thing and why? Ponder this while sitting in a field in Wiltshire
  • Wales - it's beautiful. It used to have factories and coal, now it has sheep, hills and road signs with funny words on it and people with gorgeous accents. Visit a Castle and walk up a Mountain and take in the view.
  • Liverpool - if not understanding people and getting mugged are your thing then do I have the place for you? Well, there's also Glasgow and Newcastle. Choices. That's what you've got.
So there you have it - that's my list of things to do should you ever go to the UK

horrie hastings

First Grade
Have a friend who works in a half tix place in London so every time we go there he has tickets for us to see something, did see Maggie Smith in The Lady In The Van back in 2000 which was a real highlight.
Did drive around a bit during the 1993 trip[ will have to dig the photos out to jolt the memory of exactly where I drove to] but last couple of trips stayed in London and Brighton and shot off to other parts of Europe while there.
Have been to Stonehenge, the first time I went there weren't many tourists and you could walk around the rocks but the last couple of times it is fenced off somewhat and crawling with tourist, still a must see though if you haven't already been.
Wimbledon would be amazing when the tournament is on, have visited the museum there which is worth a visit and you do get to sneek a peek at centre court through a window.

Hopefully next trip to UK will be in 2018.