What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unco and Pom

Frenzy.

Post Whore
As an unabashed (word of the day) Covell fan I have some concerns for the man.

Unlike many who are highlighting his "defensive lapses" I think the poor guy is suffering from idiotitis inside him. The idiot being Pomeroy who couldn't read a Run Spot Run book.

If Unco doesn't give up this penchant for covering for his centre he could, under a less informed coach, play himself out of this team on a perception, that being that he is a positionally poor defender.

He's not.

He's proven over the last few years that he's actually a fine defender and reader of play. Someone smart pointed out that if he stays out on his wing in 2007 he is going to leave a 10-15 metre hole for a runner to get through. That's a very good call from whoever said it because it's fact. It's clear that Unco doesn't trust Pom and it's making him look bad.

I'm losing patience with Pomeroy. Look past the flash he produces at times and you see an out of position, ineffective, ball dropping, unsure liability. Sure you can also see potential but IMO it'd be better used close in. That's his problem though, we have no more backrow spots.

Get Zeus back

Inferno

Coach
CHAOS said:
As an unabashed (word of the day) Covell fan I have some concerns for the man.

Unlike many who are highlighting his "defensive lapses" I think the poor guy is suffering from idiotitis inside him. The idiot being Pomeroy who couldn't read a Run Spot Run book.

If Unco doesn't give up this penchant for covering for his centre he could, under a less informed coach, play himself out of this team on a perception, that being that he is a positionally poor defender.

He's not.

He's proven over the last few years that he's actually a fine defender and reader of play. Someone smart pointed out that if he stays out on his wing in 2007 he is going to leave a 10-15 metre hole for a runner to get through. That's a very good call from whoever said it because it's fact. It's clear that Unco doesn't trust Pom and it's making him look bad.

I'm losing patience with Pomeroy. Look past the flash he produces at times and you see an out of position, ineffective, ball dropping, unsure liability. Sure you can also see potential but IMO it'd be better used close in. That's his problem though, we have no more backrow spots.

Get Zeus back

Sounds like it borders on genius if you ask me:cool:

I'm not losing patience with the Pom yet, but I may be in a few more weeks, because although the flashy stuff is great, it is nothing without doing the little things right. Also I don't know if you can say Unco doesn't trust Pom, more often than not when there are tries out there, there is probably an overlap of 2 and 3 leaving Unco stranded. Why is Pom moving down, is the whole team sliding or is is just Pom? Makes it hard to see on TV sometimes.

He might find a spot in the back row if Williams is let go and we buy a strike centre. Having Hannay lurking in the wings though should be enough motivation for him to left every week.

STEVE R

Juniors
carcharias said:
Pom is the new Reick.

a fractured genius.....that can't really catch very well at all.

Mat Rieck and Jason Kent are carving up the Illawarra comp for Dapto.
Rieck scored 4 tries on the weekend! Sign him up!!

PHaTMaN

Juniors
I agree with everything u said CHAOS (except for bringing Zeus back), i wanted to write something similar the other day but didnt have time. Covell is a great reader of defences, if he doesnt rush up and cut the defence off he will be outnumber and ineffective anyway.

And Pomm needs to pick his game up, he looks very good at times, but looks pretty ordinary at others.

emetic

Juniors
covell consistently rushes in to tackle an already marked player and causes an overlap, that is not good defense.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Mr Angry said:
Move Covell in.

Well Irate one you've been pushing this barrow for awhile now and I am coming around.

I think we'd certainly get better "talk" in defence from Cov who I suspect understands Sticky's system better than Pom. Migh make sense to have the more creative, slower player inside a faster finisher as well.

What we lose though is his excellent cleanup work out on kicks. He's close to the best in the league for defensive kick reads and damage control.

Stonecutter

First Grade
carcharias said:
Pom is the new Reick.

Speaking of Matty Reick, he scored 4 tries for Dapto on the weekend. :)

Gus Gould (yes i know) said during the commentary that the Sharks are switching between an up-and-in and a slide, so if Pom goes in then Cov has to as well, otherwise he's a shag on a rock, but does anyone know when the call is made as to when to use which style in which situation ? up-and-in in the 10m zone for instance.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
carcharias said:
Pom is the new Reick.

Reick still seems to still catch it often enough to score multi meaties! :lol:

carcharias

Immortal
I have seen Reick knock the ball out of his own hands with his own hands whilst in the clear .

Pom hasn't acheived that sort of genius status just yet.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
carcharias said:
I have seen Reick knock the ball out of his own hands with his own hands whilst in the clear .

Pom hasn't acheived that sort of genius status just yet.

Oh Stop it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

spider

Coach
gould must like pom - he was more concerned at hi-lighting the ruck defence than out wide on the weekend

pom did rush up a few times - break in communication somewhere

either way one would think the video sessions this week will hopefully address it

Frenzy.

Post Whore
spider said:
gould must like pom - he was more concerned at hi-lighting the ruck defence than out wide on the weekend

pom did rush up a few times - break in communication somewhere

either way one would think the video sessions this week will hopefully address it

More like having a go at Stuart for the sake of it.

Stuart coached teams are generally highly regarded in the area of ruck defence. I reckon Gould was just trying to have another lash at Ricky.

spider

Coach
absolutely - would not doubt it at all

if he commentates on friday night - it might be unbearable

imagine his disection of the aussie team and game

coolumsharkie

Referee
Mr Angry said:
Move Covell in.

The simple things are often the best, well said.

Except for who we replace to "tidy up" in his spot.

Unco does at least one vital try saving pressure releasing play a week

Inferno

Coach
emetic said:
yeah but he also causes one every week too.

Ok, put yourself in Covell's position.

You are defending on the goal line, and the the whole defencive line is compressed giving you and the Pom 15m of ground to cover between the 2 of you. Pom slides in 5m giving you 20m to cover. So you have 2 options, you either stay on the wing marking the sideline and 10m in, leaving a 10m gap between you and the Pom, or you move in as well, hoping the ball isn't spun out wide or kicked to the corner.

What would you do?

Latest posts