What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underestimate Walker at your peril, Sailor tells Eels' rivals

They definately have great ability. But both players are far from consistent. If there were an award for "Most underperforming player of the past decade" Webb would be in the top three. Maitua himself is quite inconsistent. He performed in a supporting role behind the greatest forward back of the past decade, but he was cold more often than hot in his last couple of years at the Dogs. So yes those two blokes have the ability, but they're also lazy and go MIA a lot of the time.

Shacks is a bloke who puts 100% in no matter what, which is equally if not more important to a football side than natural talent. That's why the club signed him because he has ability as well as doing the hard yards and were really impressed with his attitude. Ability only does so much, it's hard work that makes the difference in the end. And in regards to Maitua's fitness, there is a difference between general fitness and football fitness. It's all well and good he's kept himself fit, but he won't have taken part in any training drills and ball work for 2 years and won't until May. Wendell Sailor made his comeback in May too, but it took him until the end of the season after 2 years out to get a regular crack in first grade. And he was just winger, and a far better player than Maitua.

I'm just being realistic. Webb and Maitua have not been players that perform on a week to week basis for a long time now. Hence why their previous clubs let them go so easily. So we shouldn't be expecting too much of them.
on the bright side webb and maitua are both straight out of the bargain bin so if they have to spend some time in wenty working on their game it wont cost us $$$$$$ i cant wait to see shack back out there he must be beside himself with anticipation to finally get a run heres hoping he is injury free this year

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm just being realistic. Webb and Maitua have not been players that perform on a week to week basis for a long time now. Hence why their previous clubs let them go so easily. So we shouldn't be expecting too much of them.

I think we as punters undersestimate the effect that a change of clubs or envioronment can do to a player, i remember having a chat to a player a few years ago who said that the change of clubs, after spending so much time at the one club has increased his lifespan as a footballer to 2 to 3 season, it was apparently the best thing he ever done.

I'd like to think that about half of our purchases will benefit greatly from this and more than contribute to our cause, i think both webb and Matua will be absolute standouts out of that lot.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think we as punters undersestimate the effect that a change of clubs or envioronment can do to a player, i remember having a chat to a player a few years ago who said that the change of clubs, after spending so much time at the one club has increased his lifespan as a footballer to 2 to 3 season, it was apparently the best thing he ever done.

I'd like to think that about half of our purchases will benefit greatly from this and more than contribute to our cause, i think both webb and Matua will be absolute standouts out of that lot.

I think Webb especially will be revived at a new club. At least for this year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think Webb especially will be revived at a new club. At least for this year.

well the fact that our recruits are either playing for their footballing lives in the case of Matua, Walker and Webb or having 1 last hurrah at the big time in the case of Hicks and whatuera may also work in our favour.

Bazal

Post Whore
He can play his fking arse off...I will still hate him, absolute merkin and I'm shattered I have to "support" him on the field. I'm sure there are at least a few who are upset with the signing for that reason and not his age or ability

Kornstar

Coach
He can play his fking arse off...I will still hate him, absolute merkin and I'm shattered I have to "support" him on the field. I'm sure there are at least a few who are upset with the signing for that reason and not his age or ability

That is how I felt about Finch and Hagan!!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The thing with Webb, all he needs to do is get fit and show sopme hungry to make an impact next year. It is not like he is a player who uses skills to play the game. He only needs to run the ball straigh and hard. But if you are a back and loose some speed your playing days can be over no matter how hungry or fiit your are.

Mickyd39

Juniors
The thing with Webb, all he needs to do is get fit and show sopme hungry to make an impact next year. It is not like he is a player who uses skills to play the game. He only needs to run the ball straigh and hard. But if you are a back and loose some speed your playing days can be over no matter how hungry or fiit your are.

I saw Carl Webb at the airport the other day, he looked like he had lost a heap of weight and he looked fit.

i think he will be a good buy for us and will surprise a few people.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I saw Carl Webb at the airport the other day, he looked like he had lost a heap of weight and he looked fit.

i think he will be a good buy for us and will surprise a few people.

Seconded. I saw him doing some drills the other day and he is looking huge - but the good kind. Has slimmed down a fair bit and seems to have added muscle to his frame.

Latest posts