What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underestimate Walker at your peril, Sailor tells Eels' rivals

Mickyd39

Juniors
WENDELL SAILOR has advised those who questioned Parramatta's decision to recruit thirtysomething Chris Walker to be wary, because the dual international predicted Walker would match his exploits at St George Illawarra two years ago and show there's plenty of life in the code's old boys.

And Sailor, who played alongside Walker at the Brisbane Broncos in the late 1990s, has backed the former Queensland Origin representative to shine throughout 2011 if he's given a chance.

"I think I've shown, and Mat Rogers has shown, that age is no barrier," the now 36-year-old Sailor told The Sun-Herald. "Preston Campbell [33] is another one as well. Chris is not all that old, he's 31 next month, and while he's had a few injuries like a ruptured Achilles tendon [twice in 2008], he hasn't had that many hits to his body."

Advertisement: Story continues below
Parramatta is Walker's seventh club after stints with Brisbane, Souths, Sydney Roosters, Melbourne, Gold Coast and French-based Super League team Catalans. His career has been dogged by controversy. In 2004 he was expelled from the Queensland Origin team after a late night altercation with Brisbane police, but his ejection from a bar three years later revealed he had medical problems that required a rest period.

"People might think 'good on Parramatta for giving him a lifeline', but the club will be rewarded because I think he's in for a pretty big season," Sailor said.

"The Chris Walker I've seen is mature; his head is in the right place and I'm really proud of him for that."

The veteran of six Origin matches has made an immediate impact at the Eels by bringing their strength and what their conditioning coach, Hayden Knowles, described as "pure energy" to their pre-season training sessions.

"He lights up the room," Knowles said. "He's keen and he's very eager. Chris has a contagious virus that's called enthusiasm."

Sailor said that spark was one of the earliest memories he had of Walker from 1999 when they played first grade together at the Broncos.

"In 1999 we struggled," he said. "I think we'd lost eight or nine straight and 'Walks' has come in off the bench, and he was scoring freakish tries. He could make something out of nothing, and only the special players can do that.

"I look back on some of the tries he scored in Origin as well and only the blokes with a special gift could pull them off. If he gets an opportunity to cement a spot at Parramatta watch him, because it'll be exciting."

Sailor said it pleased him to hear Walker intended to make his time at Parramatta count, saying he believed the desire stemmed from being a father. "A few of us know how fatherhood changes priorities, it isn't all about 'you' any more and the responsibility of being a dad means you can't be selfish. It's great talking to him about the upcoming season because there is a real spring in his step. As a mate I certainly love him, and I wish him the best."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-sailor-tells-eels-rivals-20110108-19jay.html

Agent Mulder

Bench
Yep totally agree, I think im one of the only ones here that actually likes the signing of Chris Walker.

I reckon he will have a real good season in the blue and gold.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sounds like he has a point to prove, who knows he may just be making a few people eat humble pie.

fanaticeel

Juniors
Yep totally agree, I think im one of the only ones here that actually likes the signing of Chris Walker.

I reckon he will have a real good season in the blue and gold.

What the ?? I just saw agent mulders sig.. The Roosters have a bandwagon? What is it? A billy cart?? :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
H didn't do a bad job at it also...I think we might be pleasently surprised with all our "point to provers" we may not make the 8 but we'll scare the sh*t out of plenty that will..

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
H didn't do a bad job at it also...I think we might be pleasently surprised with all our "point to provers" we may not make the 8 but we'll scare the sh*t out of plenty that will..

I am confident we will surprise plenty and make the top 8.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
honestly think we will make the 8. I think we will go close to winning it. But I think that every year. You'd think I would have learnt by now.

Nice comments by Dell. I wonder if they discussed this at golf on Wednesday.

hindy111

Post Whore

We may not make the 8? Why not..I mean we where onyl a bit short last year i dont see why we cant improve to be honest.I mean we started lst year favourites an the important players are still there.I think we have a stronger squad than last year

Stagger eel

Staff member
We may not make the 8? Why not..I mean we where onyl a bit short last year i dont see why we cant improve to be honest.I mean we started lst year favourites an the important players are still there.I think we have a stronger squad than last year

my theory is based on the fact that most other sides have actually improved their roster, we're probably on par with last years squad.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Yep agree 100%

Yes our halves are not the best, but some people are forgetting we have a very very good forward pack with lots of depth there. Forward packs win comps, you would rather a very good forward pack then having a average pack with world class centres / wingers. And in the backs we the a player with the x-factor in Hayne. Hayne is a freak and anything is possible with him in the side.

Also I think another important factor not a lot of people have mentioned which I think will be very important is we have experienced wingers that know how to finish off and score. Walker, Burt, Hicks, Atkins, Reddy while not the greatest bunch of players to play the game, they all know how to get over the try line - I have a feeling these players are going to be very important to our season this year, they will ensure we convert our field postion to points under our "new structured attack".

spiderdan

Bench
based on stagger's prediction back when hagan left that we would do nothing in 09 then fire in 10 i am gonna say that this year we will give the comp a good shake (purely because stagger said we won't make the 8). ;-)

re: walker. i hope he can again show the form that made wayne bennett label him a better attacking centre than steve renouf. it's one thing to train the house down it's another to transfer that to the field. we have had plenty of players that have been awesome in training that have been talked up that have been average on the field.

hindy111

Post Whore
Why im confident...
INU - WHATUIRA/ATKINS
MATEO - RENI/SHACKLETON
KK - MCGUIRE/BRUEST/
CAYLESS - WEBB
GROTHE - HICKS/WALKER
So yes stagger id say our gains will cover our losses plus we have more depth in each position but i just feel that moi moi and Poore will have a lot better years.Horo and Mannah will improve and our forwards have a bit more mongrel about them.I think our halves cant go any worse and than there are some young guys coming thru like obrien-mitchel Loko Lassalo and ohanolan sio humble who werent ready last year but are perhaps ready to step up...
I could be wrong but i hope not.But we werent getting flogged last year and at times played some great footy

lingard

Coach
Sounds like he has a point to prove, who knows he may just be making a few people eat humble pie.

So that`s what this Tom Humble rumour is all about - they intend to butcher him and make pies out of him, and then serve them to doubting fans throughout the year! I don`t think that`s fair! But I suppose that`s what comes of having a famous name.

lingard

Coach

If that`s as good as this season gets, I`ll be happy with that.

bildo

Juniors
So that`s what this Tom Humble rumour is all about - they intend to butcher him and make pies out of him, and then serve them to doubting fans throughout the year! I don`t think that`s fair! But I suppose that`s what comes of having a famous name.

Thats right. I will have a Lingard burger please, waiter...