What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uneven abdominals

Fraser

I have noticed an unevenness in my abdominal muscles.

I've done core for ages, but it is really noticeable now. Left side is longer than the right. I just measured, on the top my left ab is 3.5cm long (measuring from head to toe) and my right is a paltry 2cm. Middle, left is 3.5-4cm, right is 2.5-3cm. It isn't something I'm losing sleep over, but it's strange. Does anyone here know why this is the case, if it is genetics or exercising the wrong way.

roopy

Referee
so your stomach is 10 or 12 cm long?

Your problem is that you are a plastic GI Joe doll and someone has left you out in the sun.

Last edited:

Hallatia

Referee
it's normal for them to grow unevenly. Nobody's body is symmetrical and more often than not one side could get more stimulation and work harder than the other, which causes it to grow more.

Lego_Man

First Grade
My left pec is slightly larger than my right.

Also, not sure what you mean by 2.5cm ab...

Johns Magic

Referee
My left pec is slightly larger than my right.

Same. Only noticeable if you have a good look in the mirror, but my left is definitely a bit fuller.

As hallatia said, it's completely genetic and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Shorty

Staff member
As above, but also you could be favourite your right side too much and this is the result.
What abdominal exercises do you do?

Valderon

Juniors
I have noticed an unevenness in my abdominal muscles.

I've done core for ages, but it is really noticeable now. Left side is longer than the right. I just measured, on the top my left ab is 3.5cm long (measuring from head to toe) and my right is a paltry 2cm. Middle, left is 3.5-4cm, right is 2.5-3cm. It isn't something I'm losing sleep over, but it's strange. Does anyone here know why this is the case, if it is genetics or exercising the wrong way.

Genetics does dictate, to some extent, the pattern of growth. However, so too does the magnitude and direction of stimulus to apply to the muscle.

I assume you're referring to your rectus abdominis muscle (as the term abdominals tends to encompass the numerous muscles which form the anterior aspect of the core) - which, if you are, I'd see a physiotherapist and have them use their ultrasound machine(s) so that they can see where your muscle originates / attaches to bone (ie: where the tendon, aponeurosis and muscle begin/end). You may find that the muscle itself is quite possibly the same "length" as a whole, though a muscular imbalance (tightness/flexibility), or skeletal imbalance (pelvic tilt), could be causing the appearance of different size from left / right segments.

In other words... while it may not be functionally an issue that you're aware of ... I'd still have it assessed to make sure it's not a result of a deeper structural concern!

sportive cupid

Referee
You guys crack me up.
It's a very good thing for my abs.

We are not obsessed.We are just wanting to be healthy:lol:

Johns Magic

Referee
You guys crack me up.
It's a very good thing for my abs.

We are not obsessed.We are just wanting to be healthy:lol:

Most of us in here play sport, of course we want to be as physically prepared for it as we can. You, on the other hand, are a middle-aged woman. Don't expect us to have the same priorities as you.

sportive cupid

Referee
lol
Why do you assume i don't play sport:lol:

Why do you assume that the mismatching of your abs is a reason for concern when playing sport:lol:

Johns Magic

Referee
lol
Why do you assume i don't play sport:lol:

Ok, what sport do middle-aged women play that requires having a bulked-up body?

Why do you assume that the mismatching of your abs is a reason for concern when playing sport:lol:

You do realise how beneficial a well-developed core is to football strength don't you? Wait, of course you don't.

Just like a sprinter would be concerned if one of his legs wasn't developing at the same rate as the other.

If you don't understand this forum then don't stick your nose in.

sportive cupid

Referee
Sorry,I thought this forum was about health and wellbeing.
It is about obsession and bulk building.
A know a fair bit about the first one.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sorry,I thought this forum was about health and wellbeing.
It is about obsession and bulk building.
A know a fair bit about the first one.

"A Forum to Discuss Health, Fitness, Nutrition, Strength and Conditioning, and Rehabilitation."

Way to completely leave out the parts that don't interest you.