What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

University research on fans' views of racism in the NRL

bileduct

Coach
I have to say, that I have been attending games since the early 1970's, and not once have I ever heard racist comments towards players.
I'd never heard it either until one season a few years ago I started noticing this old lady in the crowd yelling out "tackle that THING" and noticed she only ever said it when a coloured person was carrying the ball.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Done, be interesting to see results. Personally I haven’t heard or seen any racist stuff here, but then I don’t get to go to many games. Used to be rife back in the 80’s on the terraces in England!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You probably should find an afl forum if you want to deep dive into crowd racism
I'm pretty sure it's not just NRL fans that are being asked to take part.

But I agree, Adam Goodes is still recent history. Never seen anything that comes close to that at a Rugby League match, and I've been going since the 1960s.

Last time I saw it was a few years ago, one drunken loud mouth behind us yelled out something. But he was pretty quickly glared down by everyone around him, to which he replied "I'll say what I want" and he made a few threats. His mates told him to put a sock in it, then he sulked for the rest of the game.

If there was an easy way to let security know - maybe an app - he probably would have been turfed out.

TheRam

Coach
All done mate, best of luck gathering data for your research. Pretty hard to say I haven’t seen racism from fans when “The Skull” Ross May is one of the people you saw and heard supporting your team in the past...

I said no because I haven't seen any in the past 5 years or so, therefore I think that the current views and behaviour of supporters would be more pertinent then what was happening 20+ years ago.

People and their views have moved on quite a bit since all those years ago. In saying that, I don't think I have seen racists behaviour ever anyway.

Last edited:

Santino Patane

Juniors
All done:white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:. Good luck with the results, would love to hear about them!

I’ve been around the game since the late 80’s and can never recall anything racist whatsoever. There’s been plenty of nationalism (and whatever the equivalent is at a state level) but I never recall anything relating to racism. I’ve always been proud of how inclusive the game has seemed to me (think when Ian Roberts came out it felt like an “oh yeah” moment and not much more). All that usually matters is that these great players are on our side or that they can play footy! Even my old man (who was a boomer and we all know how casual racism was the norm for them) used to talk up players like Sam Backo, Joe Kilroy and Mal Meninga etc without any hint of their race- they were just great footy players to look up to. Rugby League was a key driver for me to understand that we’re all humans firstly despite our race.

theacademic

Juniors
I'm pretty sure it's not just NRL fans that are being asked to take part.

But I agree, Adam Goodes is still recent history. Never seen anything that comes close to that at a Rugby League match, and I've been going since the 1960s.

Last time I saw it was a few years ago, one drunken loud mouth behind us yelled out something. But he was pretty quickly glared down by everyone around him, to which he replied "I'll say what I want" and he made a few threats. His mates told him to put a sock in it, then he sulked for the rest of the game.

If there was an easy way to let security know - maybe an app - he probably would have been turfed out.
Yes, this is a multi-sport study. The NRL being one of them. Good point on the app, Willow, and this is a feature of what we are asking in the survey. Thanks to those who have shared their thoughts.

SDM

First Grade
I filled it out, I have witnessed racist fan behaviour plenty of times, both at games, on social media and in here by some dead shit called TheRam.
The NRL can do their best, but we live in a racist society that still turns a blind eye to racist behaviour.
Even last Xmas my Grandmother was trying to tell me Petero Civonoceva was the missing link.

T-Boon

Coach
I filled it out, I have witnessed racist fan behaviour plenty of times, both at games, on social media and in here by some dead shit called TheRam.
The NRL can do their best, but we live in a racist society that still turns a blind eye to racist behaviour.
Even last Xmas my Grandmother was trying to tell me Petero Civonoceva was the missing link.

Are you an EELs fan? I must have been to Parra stadium hundreds of times in the last 30 years. I've never heard one racist comment.

magpie_man

Juniors
Been to plenty of games in QLD .
Racism ..no
Bogan behaviour yep..the usual drunk idiots trying to be tough or think they're witty .
But no racism .

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.
I honestly can't recall ever experiencing racism at a ground in the 35-odd years that I've been attending rugby league matches.
Boganism; yes.
Sexism; yes.
Homophobia; yes.
But never racism.

SDM

First Grade
I said no because I haven't seen any in the past 5 years or so, therefore I think that the current views and behaviour of supporters would be more pertinent then what was happening 20+ years ago.

People and their views have moved on quite a bit since all those years ago. In saying that, I don't think I have seen racists behaviour ever anyway.
You would see more if you took a mirror.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Done. Never seen racism at games.. but plenty on social media particularly when certain indigenous players are spotlighted or conversations around the anthem come up.

Latest posts