What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urban Myths...

What are your favourite urban myths/legends..

And are they truly myth, real, or debatable..

The advent of the internet has killed many old time favourites, such as dropbears, but created many others..

I was reminded recently of the Brown noise... or “brown note”... a mystery frequency that would cause listeners to involuntarily evacuate their bowels. I’d originally heard this had been “discovered” in a German nightclub in the 90’s. It then went on to form the basis of a SouthPark episode.

While my research suggests this is truly a myth... I’ve not read or seen evidence to 100% refute it.

Others??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The advent of the internet has killed many old time favourites, such as dropbears, but created many others..
The Drop Bear is still alive and well.

A couple of years ago I was at the bar buying drinks for my better half and I. A young couple next to me appeared to be having a debate. The bloke turned to me and said, "mate, can you back me up on this? My friend here doesn't believe there are Drop Bears." Now his friend was an English girl and had an accent to prove it, and he was trying to impress her, so I was onto it. But quite frankly, this bloke was taking a bit of chance as I could have just said I don't know what you're talking about.

But I said, "Oh yes... you have to look out for them when bush walking. They're called Drop Bears because drop down on you from the trees. You know they're about when you see scratch marks in the trees. They've got pretty nasty claws, and teeth... not a good thing when they land on you." Now goannas and koalas can leave scratch marks in trees as well but the tourist doesn't need to know that.

The bloke is standing behind her giving me two thumbs up. My better half is overhearing it and shaking her head as we could see the English girl was a little worried now. So I reassured her with, "oh look, don't worry. Drop Bears don't like toothpaste, so just rub a little on your face and they'll stay away." The bloke then chimed in, "oh yeah, I forget about the toothpaste... thanks mate, good tip!"

I wished them the best and moved on. Sitting back down at the table, my better half - who is far more sensible than I - just looked at me and said, "bastard."

soc123_au

Staff member

A couple of years ago I was at the bar buying drinks for my better half and I. A young couple next to me appeared to be having a debate. The bloke turned to me and said, "mate, can you back me up on this? My friend here doesn't believe there are Drop Bears." Now his friend was an English girl and had to accent to show, and he was trying to impress her, so I was onto it. But quite frankly this bloke was taking a bit of chance as I could have just said I don't know what you're talking about.

But I said, "Oh yes... you have to look out for them when bush walking. They're called Drop Bears because drop down on you from the trees. You know they're about when you see scratch marks in the trees. They've got pretty nasty claws, and teeth... not a good thing when they land on you." Now goannas and koalas can leave scratch marks in trees as well but the tourist doesn't need to know that.

The bloke is standing behind her giving me two thumbs up. My better half is overhearing it and shaking her head as we could see the English girl was a little worried now. So I reassured her with, "oh look, don't worry. Drop Bears don't like toothpaste, so just rub a little on your face and they'll stay away." The bloke then chimed in, "oh yeah, I forget about the toothpaste... thanks mate, good tip!"

I wished them the best and moved on. Sitting back down at the table, my better half - who is far more sensible than I - just looked at me and said, "bastard."

If the drop bears dont get you, the hoop snakes will.

Coastbloke

Bench
What are your favourite urban myths/legends..

And are they truly myth, real, or debatable..

I was reminded recently of the Brown noise... or “brown note”... a mystery frequency that would cause listeners to involuntarily evacuate their bowels. I’d originally heard this had been “discovered” in a German nightclub in the 90’s. It then went on to form the basis of a SouthPark episode.

While my research suggests this is truly a myth... I’ve not read or seen evidence to 100% refute it.

Others??

Your first mistake was trying to ask an interesting and entertaining question on League Unlimited..

Do tell. Your post getting deleted is a risk I'm willing to take.

Ok...

well I used to be a director of a recruitment company in the engineering / construction sector...

When all the agreements for construction at Barangaroo were approved, we naturally had great interest in tendering to supply labour ...

Soon found out that we never had a hope of being successful as an approved supplier.. although I was approach by certain people who said they could get me in if I partnered with them. I chose not to... and glad I did.

The labour hire companies who did end up being successful for supply ... well let’s just say many of these weren’t long term, established, recognised labour hire agencies with unparalleled experience of supply. And turns out many of their major shareholders like two wheels instead of 4...

I’m not saying anything above that hasn’t been reported on in the news/public arena (mods - please note).

And all the while, the myth I’ve suggested spread like wildfire amongst those in the industry I used to work in. And so I focussed on winning work elsewhere.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
One of the best urban myths in recent times:

upload_2020-8-26_10-58-28-jpeg.41327

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Nullarbor Nymph was a hoax perpetrated in Australia between 1971 and 1972 that involved supposed sightings of a half-naked woman living amongst kangaroos on the Nullarbor Plain.

The first report on 26 December 1971 was by professional kangaroo shooters from Eucla in Western Australia, near the border with South Australia. They claimed to have seen a blond, white woman amongst some kangaroos, and backed their story with grainy amateur film showing a woman wearing kangaroo skins and holding a kangaroo by the tail. After further sightings were claimed, the story was reported around the world, and journalists descended upon the town of Eucla which had a population of 8 people at the time.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Nymph

The Nullarbor Nymph was a hoax perpetrated in Australia between 1971 and 1972 that involved supposed sightings of a half-naked woman living amongst kangaroos on the Nullarbor Plain.

The first report on 26 December 1971 was by professional kangaroo shooters from Eucla in Western Australia, near the border with South Australia. They claimed to have seen a blond, white woman amongst some kangaroos, and backed their story with grainy amateur film showing a woman wearing kangaroo skins and holding a kangaroo by the tail. After further sightings were claimed, the story was reported around the world, and journalists descended upon the town of Eucla which had a population of 8 people at the time.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Nymph

Sounds similar to the ghost lady who frequents Lady Carrington Drive..

Danish

Referee

A couple of years ago I was at the bar buying drinks for my better half and I. A young couple next to me appeared to be having a debate. The bloke turned to me and said, "mate, can you back me up on this? My friend here doesn't believe there are Drop Bears." Now his friend was an English girl and had an accent to prove it, and he was trying to impress her, so I was onto it. But quite frankly, this bloke was taking a bit of chance as I could have just said I don't know what you're talking about.

it is the duty of every Australian to back up any other Australian who is talking about drop bears to a foreigner.

most kiwis will get in on the action as well in my experience.

Latest posts