1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

Discussion in 'North American Rugby League' started by DaBulls, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Kurt Angle

Kurt Angle First Grade

Denver is strong with RU, is a halfway link between coasts and has a reasonable Aussie presence

2. Evil Homer

Evil Homer Moderator Staff Member

Not as insular as some RL fans by the looks of it. I despair every time some new initiative is proposed and it gets shot down by negative fans who claim it 'will never work'. How do you expect a competition that hasn't even been officially announced yet, or a sport that nobody really knows anything about, to make the headlines of 'major national newspapers'? Get a grip.

3. Evil Homer

Evil Homer Moderator Staff Member

I would love to see a team in Hartford. It makes sense to me to target reasonable sized cities such as that that don't really have too much pro sport. There are hundreds of US cities with a population of over 100,000 and no real sports teams at all.

4. Poul

Poul Juniors

Sometimes I feel :-k that some supposed :doubt: fans of Rugby League may in fact be "fifth columnists" for the Evil Empire :twisted: , and that they secretly hope that this exciting opportunity for expansion will fail. All of them will tell you, in no uncertain terms, why the venture will fail, but none of them [-X will ever offer any opinion on how it might possibly succeed.
    I do think this project is ambitious, and I didn't forsee it happening at such an early stage in the development of Rugby League in the USA. However, I will do all that I can, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE opinion and/or criticism, if ultimately it is beneficial to Rugby League in the USA.

5. Kurt Angle

Kurt Angle First Grade

To be honest, I'd rather see that model.

A big RL comp in the US will create another imbalance. With its size market, it'd be fine to have 5,000 crowds along side it being a (relative to ours) highly paid Cable TV filler.

The appeal is, some people don't want to move away from their town, away from family and friends.

These towns will no pro-sport teams can have good penetration into schools and the like, with the game of RL being viewed as complimentary to sporting enjoyment along side the big city NFL and NBA side, rather than competition.

6. The Electric Horseman

The Electric Horseman Juniors

The return of the Boston Braves?

7. Poul

Poul Juniors

The "new" Boston team in the AMNRL will be called Boston XIIIs RLFC, but the Boston franchise in the USNRL may well (I would think most likely) have a different name. Of all the franchises, I would think that perhaps only Jacksonville would be likely to retain their AMNRL moniker in the USNRL competition. I think that the competition organisers would have looked at team names, and have decided that for engagement with the American sports fans, especially for television, that "American" names would be more marketable.

8. nadera78

nadera78 Juniors

That's the truth of it. There are some incredibly unqualified people within the game that have made a very nice career out of RL, earning money and enjoying power and influence that they would never get anywhere else. They jealously protect their own positions, regardless of the damage it does to the game as a whole. They are the reason we are a million miles from achieving, or even approaching, our full potential.

Good luck to the people behind this move. He who dares.....

9. welshmagpie

welshmagpie Juniors

i know it may have little to zero RL competition there, but id like to see a Franchise in teh MidWest..

Minnesotta, St Louis, Cleveland, Chicago somehwere around there.

10. c_eagle

c_eagle Juniors

Does anyone have any information on the new Boston AMNRL team? I'm studying in Boston atm and would love to be involved in some way.

11. skrabsta

skrabsta Juniors

From the Jaxaxe site ( my italics )

The Axemen have been invited to secure a team in the planned 2010 Professional US National Rugby League Competition and at this stage we are looking at the business plan and analyzing the details that we have been provided with.
    We are starting the initial process of identifying potential investors, corporations and organizations in an effort to secure the financial backing that would see us granted a franchise and make the City of Jacksonville one of only eight in the inaugural season.
    Although we do not have full details of the plan at this stage we are excited at the possibility the this venture will be full professional Rugby League played in the USA and that we have been invited to be one of the operators. We believe that Television and other associated exposure such as a potential reality series could be included and we will release this information as it is confirmed.
    We wish to make it clear that if we are successful the team will operate under the Jacksonville Axemen banner in both the Professional and AMNRL competitions with the current team acting as a "feeder" or "player development" team that will support the professional team.
    We are NOT taking expressions of interest from potential players at this time and would ask that players from both the USA and other countries direct any Professional Competition questions to the NRLUS directly at their website.
    Any interested investment questions should be directed to Spinner Howland via e-mail at [email protected]

12. Big Picture

Big Picture Juniors

I doubt NBC is interested in having teams in cities as small as 100,000 people. Big cities will draw more viewers.

13. Poul

Poul Juniors

Well, in less than a week this thread has doubled the number of posts and with well over 10,000 views it has become the most popular thread EVER in League Unlimited's International forums :crazy:

14. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

So not even the head honchos of the existing clubs of the AMNRL know exactly what is happening?

This is quite amazing...or a complete joke, one of the two.

15. tcc_dc

tcc_dc Juniors

Last night an e-mail was sent out with some information...so take this for what you will..

Inaugral Draft - Nov 7
    NRL Kickoff - Mar 12, 2010
    Championship - July 4, 2010 - Philadelphia

Pre-Draft Camp - October
    Reality Series Comings
    TV Deal to be announced...

Cheers...

tcc

16. East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger Coach

The governing body might be keeping things from the clubs to some degree for a reason. A] they don't want it leaked, and it would be. and B] they might not need to know yet. I'd say people like Spinner probably know a fair bit but are still awaiting some details, like we are. The fact that the TV series seems to be a done deal is great and also indicates that a TV deal must be pretty much done as well.

17. coach

coach Guest

Draft?

18. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the idea of a reality TV series covering the setup of the comp, the players, the games etc is incredibly clever?

It is not like RL admin to come up with such an idea.

19. Poul

Poul Juniors

I think it is a great idea to launch the competition in the American market.
    I doubt that it is RL administrators who have come up with this idea. I'd reckon it is more likely to have been proposed by the media partners. If television is going to take Rugby League on board then they will want to be able to have some guage of its possible success (i.e. ratings). I believe that it is Quaker Media who are the production company behind the proposed reality TV series. I can't wait to see it :cool:

20. tcc_dc

tcc_dc Juniors

Where the players are selected for each team...I guess after this you will have a good idea about who will play for each team....

2009 NATIONAL TRYOUTS
    [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
    A series of tryouts open to all athletes, local and foreign, will be held in selected locations around the country. Registration information and locations will be announced soon. Players will be selected from each tryout to attend the NRL Pre-Draft Camp for final evaluation to enter the inaugural NRL Draft. 176 players will be selected for 8 professional teams with 22 man fulltime playing rosters.

Cheers...

tcc​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]