What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA - Australia v USA League Test

TinghaInMotion

Juniors
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8661587-23214,00.html

"LACHLAN Murdoch has acted as a go-between to arrange a rugby league Test match between Australia and the United States in New York later this year"

Going by this story and the story about Rupert possibly ditching RU, it looks like the Murdochs might just be getting behind League 100%. Never thought id say this but this is a very good thing.

Imagine if league takes off in USA...wow! With the backing of News LTD it just might...one day.

ibeme

First Grade
This is great news.

Business talk: This is a potential gold mine, in terms of exposure to one of the biggest, wealthiest markets on earth. The reach that Rupert Murdoch could achieve is priceless.

Sports talk: Good stuff. If we get the yanks on board, we're all but set on the international scene. They might even be a genuine opponent on the field one day, but we'll deal with that when it comes

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
ibeme said:
This is great news.

Business talk: This is a potential gold mine, in terms of exposure to one of the biggest, wealthiest markets on earth. The reach that Rupert Murdoch could achieve is priceless.

Sports talk: Good stuff. If we get the yanks on board, we're all but set on the international scene. They might even be a genuine opponent on the field one day, but we'll deal with that when it comes

IF the sport catches on as even a fourth of fifth most popular sport then the USA would quickly turn around the fortunes of the Roos to the extent where they can play their 4th team and still walk the tests.

America is that massive and that sports mad that although it would be great to see the sport doing well, it could also see USA become unbeatable given the lack of strength in other countries. That is slowly starting to happen in football already with USA youth teams being pretty amazing compared to just a decade ago, and football hasn't caught on that well yet.

Another point worth mentioning is that there is no way they would adopt League rules and keep them that way. They would quickly be changed, we'd have quarters and time outs or something daft.

eelandia

Juniors
TinghaInMotion said:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8661587-23214,00.html

"LACHLAN Murdoch has acted as a go-between to arrange a rugby league Test match between Australia and the United States in New York later this year"

Going by this story and the story about Rupert possibly ditching RU, it looks like the Murdochs might just be getting behind League 100%.

Haven't heard the one about ditching RU....where did you get that from. Hope it happens.

Costaki

Juniors
i think its great news and with the game begin shown on fox sports in the USA i think this could be a big break for american rugby league

JVinAZ

Juniors
TinghaInMotion said:
story about RU and Murdoch

This would seem to have mor to do with News Corp's view of of the SANZAR products (S12 and 3N) rather than RU as a whole.

Remember that the News Corp's SkySports in the last couple of years has outbid the BBC and ITV for nearly all major RU events in Europe.

TinghaInMotion

Juniors
JVinAZ said:
TinghaInMotion said:
story about RU and Murdoch

This would seem to have mor to do with News Corp's view of of the SANZAR products (S12 and 3N) rather than RU as a whole.

Remember that the News Corp's SkySports in the last couple of years has outbid the BBC and ITV for nearly all major RU events in Europe.

ummm have another read pal

"He pointed to News Corp relinquishing rights to the Six Nations in Europe to back his claim rugby was not an essential product for the Rupert Murdoch-owned empire. " :D

"Underlining the cooling of interest in rugby rights, Australia has no Super 12 on free-to-air TV after Channel 7 dumped the rights." :lol:

"One has to be very worried that News Corp doesn't decide to take its money elsewhere, use that money in another sport and get the same or better result," Luyt said. " ...........yeah like to Rugby League :D

RU is gooooooooooone :lol:

JVinAZ

Juniors
Costaki said:
i think its great news and with the game begin shown on fox sports in the USA i think this could be a big break for american rugby league

NRL matches have been shown on a regular basis for the past 2 years on Fox Sports World. SOO and finals are sometimes shown live.

However, this is at best best 1/3 of the coverage FSW gives RU. During Super 12, as many as 3 matches per week are shown. All od f the RUWC were show, but on a 3 day delay. The current RU primary show includes discussion of RU, iscussion of the rules of RU, discssion of how to watch RU and promotion of upcoming US RU events.

To date, the only US content of RL broadcasts are AMNRL adverts saying visit our "world class" website.

I'm sorry, but as but a website does not make a legitimate sports orgaization for the US.

ibeme

First Grade
JVinAZ said:
The current RU primary show includes discussion of RU, discussion of the rules of RU, discssion of how to watch RU and promotion of upcoming US RU events.

Must be a bloody long show to be discussing the rules of rugby union.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
I dont know if a 150-0 scoreline on tv and infront of their home crowed is going to help!

i dont see the point in having this game jut yet, how are they goin to compete with a AUSTRALIAN national team wen the couldnt come CLOSE to beating a NRL team prolly not even close to a jearsey flegg team

Jeffles

Bench
Baby steps guys.

It is good news.

BUT

It isn't confirmed for TV. And it will be a thrashing. The AMNRL do not have the money to back up the possible publicity. This is a gamble in trying to attract attention. If we see expansion both across the country (horizontal) and across age groups (vertical) then it can be a success.

yakstorm

First Grade
From the way I see it, it will have 2 distinct effects.

It will not draw many (if any) new fans to League. Americans will see they arent good at the sport and not get behind watching it, of course those who already watch League would not be affected by it.

However the advantage it has is it will bring players. People love the ability to play their hereo's or the best in a sport. Heck I'd pull on a USA jersey if I could to play against the Kangaroos simply cause it would be a fantastic thing in anyones career. Sure you have no chance to win, but you are playing the best of the best, its like France in 94, they lost 74 - 0, but still so many players say it was the highlight of their career at the time.

It will most likely see a large number of Union players and even just general atheletes who know what League is, seriously consider giving it a go in 2005.

carlnz

Bench
i hate to keep on talking about rugby but look what happen to Nambia against the Australia!

The only good point about the game will be to see how large the gap is between 1 and 20!!

carlnz

Bench
ripper73 said:
Actually Nambia is ranked 25th in Union

yet again you dont read probaly!! Im talking about the Kangaroos ranked 1 and the Tomahawaka ranked 20th....Talking about the gap in League!

yankeeboy

Juniors
The Tomahawks are more like 14th- don't trust the RLIF rankings.
At the end of 2002, Canada- who hadn't played an international in 2 years- were ranked 23rd.

I'd say that counting the World Cup nations (excluding Maori), the USA would be at least in 15th (better than South Africa).

carlnz

Bench
1. Aussie
2. NZ
3. England
4. France
5. Lebanon
6. Ireland
7. Wales
8. Scotland
9. Samoa
10. PNG