What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA "what"

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Shame they couldn't keep the Tomahawks but I don't mind it, better than a lot of the alternatives and at least is a call back to the original name.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
This is a good, snappy name, links to the previous Tomahawks name (which I loved !) and is far better than the mooted alternatives …

roughyedspud

Coach
Why does the hawk have a hankie round it's neck?

guessing its some kind of military scarf reference??

duvallstetson2.jpg

spinnerhowland

Juniors
that is quiet clever.. If they do restrict heritage players they will be half of the Tomahawks!!
Seriously though why have fan polls if you ignore them. We did it here with the Titans then with the Brisbane Bombers.

By putting a minimum of 9 domestic players (more than 50%) in any national team of 17, the USARL will see 10 times the recognition of the players from domestic fans, supporters and sponsors. This will see the domestic supporters of Rugby League support their national team and actually follow their progress, etc. And when we get down to the core of what this is all about, it is EVERYTHING to do with the development and growth of Rugby League on the domestic front in the United States.
It is my understanding that the USA Hawks will commit to always being comprised of more than half the team being from the USA Domestic Ranks.
It may not be the RLIF rules, but the USARL has the right to select their national team in the way they feel best rewards the domestic players who are the BOOTS ON THE GROUND in developing the game in the USA. Seems pretty rational that the governing body for a nation would have the thoughts of their domestic players at the top of mind when representing their country, and commit to supporting them.
I all just seems like common sense when you think about it for a minute.

byrner

Juniors
By putting a minimum of 9 domestic players (more than 50%) in any national team of 17, the USARL will see 10 times the recognition of the players from domestic fans, supporters and sponsors. This will see the domestic supporters of Rugby League support their national team and actually follow their progress, etc. And when we get down to the core of what this is all about, it is EVERYTHING to do with the development and growth of Rugby League on the domestic front in the United States.
It is my understanding that the USA Hawks will commit to always being comprised of more than half the team being from the USA Domestic Ranks.
It may not be the RLIF rules, but the USARL has the right to select their national team in the way they feel best rewards the domestic players who are the BOOTS ON THE GROUND in developing the game in the USA. Seems pretty rational that the governing body for a nation would have the thoughts of their domestic players at the top of mind when representing their country, and commit to supporting them.
I all just seems like common sense when you think about it for a minute.

I have to agree. Although USA would have a stonger team fielding all heritage players (at this stage) the point shouldn't be to try and win a few games at a world cup. It should be to try and grow the game in the USA so that in 30 years they can try to win the world cup.

taipan

Referee
I feel the general public would be far more accepting and indeed the so called Oz cynical press of having a USA national team dominated by their born and bred players.
The Sydney press were dismissive of sides that were heritage dominated e.g. Ireland in 2008.

Sure add a few NRL/ESL heritage players,but the playing of the National anthem ,the underlying national passion would take on then real meaning,because the majority live work and breathe for that country.I would love to see it.

Few complained when the Japanese ru team in the 2003 RWC in Oz had a few non Japanese born and bred players,because it was in essence a Japanese dominated national side,not a make up side of overseas non born and bred locals.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Have to bring back the tomahawk name. That was iconic!

Everything tomahawk related I have find memories of. They really punched above their weight

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
Leeds Rhinos coach Brian McDermott has been appointed head coach of the USA.
He will combine the two roles as he looks to guide the country to the 2017 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

Terry Matterson led the Tomahawks to the last eight of the 2013 finals, eventually losing to winners Australia.

"I am honoured to be appointed head coach of the USA Hawks. We saw in 2013 the impact the USA team can have on the international rugby league game," McDermott told the Rhinos website.

"The main task is to qualify for the 2017 World Cup. But along that journey I hope to have an influence over the development of players coming through and have an input into the broader coaching network in the USA.

"Having had first-hand experience of working with the players in the States, I have been impressed with their attitude, athleticism and commitment to rugby league and that gives us strong foundations to build on."

McDermott has led Leeds to two Grand Final victories, one World Club Challenge success and a Challenge Cup win.

Source: BBC Sport