What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA "what"

Sinman

Juniors
Yeah.. your right... I got that mixed up.. I know they were looking at stars and stripes though.. Canada website has them playing a couple of games against them later in the year.. we will know by then I guess

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
I think its been said quite a few times and based off the articles as well The Pioneers is strictly a developmental side....
When they played the Rhinos at the beginning of the year there was maybe one recognizable name that has played any internationals for USA, among some guys the have played overseas but all developmental.
Cant wait to hear what they decide for the actual national team, I too would like to see them keep the tomahawks name just casue it seems weird to change it at this stage, but then again a fresh start would be good to haha so IDK

USA Hawks is the winner.

http://www.usarl.com/2015/05/hawks-swoop-in-for-new-usa-national-team-name/

USARL-Hawks.png

gyallop

Juniors
that is quiet clever.. If they do restrict heritage players they will be half of the Tomahawks!!
Seriously though why have fan polls if you ignore them. We did it here with the Titans then with the Brisbane Bombers.

And people complain about the issues with confusion between league and union...and then use an almost identical symbol to the union team. Except of course it's by far the weaker symbol. Eagles is iconically American, Hawks is not. And hawks are smaller than eagle. It certainly is like roos and wallabies except this time league has the lame, weak, less appropriate one of the two. And, yes, it is generic and unoriginal. Tomahawks was unique, certainly in RL, while I could name heaps of teams called Hawks. It's the kind of nickname you give your local club 30 years ago.

taipan

Referee
If they end up winning a RLWC in years ahead,noone will give a toss,what they are called.Winners is what it's all about.Hawks is a better choice,if you can't use Tomahawks.

Roosters is also really a lame name as are Eels,major catastrophe because of a name:roll: And Rabbits ,brought originally to this country by Poms .

taipan

Referee
Those club names all have more meaning behind them. And they're just club names.

They may well have meaning and i don't have a problem with it following the game so long,but to newcomers they could be classified as wimpy.

Clubs have to start somewhere,it's not a big deal.

This is a national team.

They might as well have called them the wildcats or some other over-used, arbitrary, meaningless name.

They didn't even have the sense to have a tomahawk somewhere in the logo.

warrior poet

Juniors
to me this seems like a compromise name. People seemed to want to keep tomahawks but they couldn't due to copyright or whatever. The usarl would have wanted to separate themselves from the amnrl (who came up with the tomahawks name), so they needed a new name. Having them as the hawks makes it obvious that it is a new team but still has a link to the originals (tomaHAWKS).

I'm not american, so don't have any biased opinion on this, but i would have gone with something completely new (Bison, coyotes, caribou)

byrner

Juniors
You cant please everyone. Its a good enough name. I like the logo and it kind of links to the Tomahawks