What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

usarl - amnrl split

BDGS

Bench
rugger1213 = AMNRL player/coach/admin
Mother Rucker = USARL player/coach/admin
Both will argue their side of the story till blue in the face. This will play out similar to the pending NFL lockout, AMNRL will play the Ireland game solo, probably lose, the USARL players will be welcomed back closer to the Atlantic Cup of WCQ games. Niu knows that his success depends on the USA national teams success and the exposure that comes with a spot in the WC.

This....

rugger1213

Juniors
Both will argue their side of the story till blue in the face. This will play out similar to the pending NFL lockout, AMNRL will play the Ireland game solo, probably lose, the USARL players will be welcomed back closer to the Atlantic Cup of WCQ games. Niu knows that his success depends on the USA national teams success and the exposure that comes with a spot in the WC. Just like the greedy NFL owners he will cave, I hope he reads these forums too, I bet he does ;) Hi Dave, lose the ego and grow the game you are suppose to love.

I play on an AMNRL team because there's nothing else close by. I prefer RL to 7s, but I prefer 15s to RL and guess what, no 15s during the summer.

Everyone seems to think they have the "solution" and everyone's so quick with a witty jab or cut on someone else... you're all acting like a bunch of scorned teenagers. I honestly don't have a side, I could care less about the politics of this league or any other that I am in. All the clubs I've ever played on have been run well and I've had really no complaints.

I really only stumbled upon this forum while initially finding out about the split of the leagues. Everyone just shut up and play rugby. Rather than he said she said and the name calling business, let the leagues run their course and in the end the cream always rises and the truth will come out.

If it takes a loss to Ireland to sort matters out so be it, but get away from the personal bullsh*t, it makes it sound less like the split was over administrative reasons and more about people's disappointment with their station in life. Everyone get over yourselves, we aren't all that important.

joshreading

Staff member
Secondly, something about some teams in the USARL having different names but being the same team. He made the comparison to himself playing for the Bulls and then playing in the exact some team and calling it Delaware.
So im guessing he is referring to the Boston teams. You would hope that boston players won't be playing for Oneida aswell and vice versa. Hopefully someone knows some more on that one.

What stupidity. Boston 13's have been clear that they are oversighting Oneida FC. Vassy seems to make little sense. Boston 13's are playing Oneida FC in their first game. Now how do you think a player is going to play on both sides?

The AMNRL response is largely pathetic. Now whether a USARL team is wanting 350 bucks to pay is frankly irrelevant (and unlikely) If a Club could command such a fee then they must have something pretty awesome going for them is a full squad were willing to pay such.

BDGS

Bench
I play on an AMNRL team because there's nothing else close by. I prefer RL to 7s, but I prefer 15s to RL and guess what, no 15s during the summer.

Everyone seems to think they have the "solution" and everyone's so quick with a witty jab or cut on someone else... you're all acting like a bunch of scorned teenagers. I honestly don't have a side, I could care less about the politics of this league or any other that I am in. All the clubs I've ever played on have been run well and I've had really no complaints.

I really only stumbled upon this forum while initially finding out about the split of the leagues. Everyone just shut up and play rugby. Rather than he said she said and the name calling business, let the leagues run their course and in the end the cream always rises and the truth will come out.

If it takes a loss to Ireland to sort matters out so be it, but get away from the personal bullsh*t, it makes it sound less like the split was over administrative reasons and more about people's disappointment with their station in life. Everyone get over yourselves, we aren't all that important.

To whom?

deluded pom?

Coach
Hypothetically;
So im guessing he is referring to the Boston teams. You would hope that boston players won't be playing for Oneida aswell and vice versa. Hopefully someone knows some more on that one.

I'd like to be there when the 13s play Oneida then!! Will they wear back to front double coloured shirts like the stage actors do in Up and Under?

Rampart66

Juniors
I wanted to clear up the 350 dollars comment. That total is a league fee paid per team (not individual players). It covers insurance costs for teams (under a blanket league insurance policy) and will also go towards other items such as the league web site and coaching and referee certifications for future develoment.

The whole point of the split boils down to this. The individual clubs are responsible for raising money and paying for things like kits, field rental, travel, refs, EMTs and website & marketing. With the teams paying so much money to play in an amateur competition, they should have a voice in the direction and administration in that competition. This is what the teams asked for and that request was denied.

I keep hearing things like "the truth will come out".

Well, I'm waiting. But like I've come to expect from the AMNRL, "coming soon", usually leads to a big let down.

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's really not ambiguous at all actually. The eligibility requirements are spelled out pretty clearly. A ban would mean they have no recourse in the matter and the fact is they do.

As for players in cities with no AMNRL, sounds like they have reason to convince their club management to join the sanctioned league or they are the "at large" type of players mentioned in the requirements.
No, they have reason to applaud their clubs for breaking away from this corrupt administration. Do you think coercion is an appropriate tactic, and something that sports administrators should be doing? Do you think attempting to force players to play for certain teams or face being discriminated against is conducive to running a good league?

The 'requirements', as you put it, are completely unneccesary, they have no justification and are clearly designed for no other reason than to discriminate and exclude a certain group. Your assertion that there is no ban is akin to the US Army's prior claims that there was no ban on homosexuals. Of course there is a ban. Can you tell me any logical reason why USARL players should be forced to switch to the AMNRL, or not play at all to qualify for national selection? As an AMNRL player it may not matter to you, but as people who care about the development of international RL and its spread worldwide, it matters to us. And it sure as hell matters to the people that are being discriminated against.

Fighter

Juniors
What stupidity. Boston 13's have been clear that they are oversighting Oneida FC. Vassy seems to make little sense. Boston 13's are playing Oneida FC in their first game. Now how do you think a player is going to play on both sides?

The AMNRL response is largely pathetic. Now whether a USARL team is wanting 350 bucks to pay is frankly irrelevant (and unlikely) If a Club could command such a fee then they must have something pretty awesome going for them is a full squad were willing to pay such.

Josh, actually the Fight do ask their players to pay $350 dues (and this was set at $300 by our players themselves at our AGM, we raised it an extra $50 this year since things are so tight) to help the club pay for all the travel we commit to over the season. We don't hide from it and actually posted it last week on our site in a letter from our chairman to the players. With the state of the economy in the USA and sponsors becoming fewer and fewer by the day it is a necessity.

Rampart66

Juniors
Josh, actually the Fight do ask their players to pay $350 dues (and this was set at $300 by our players themselves at our AGM, we raised it an extra $50 this year since things are so tight) to help the club pay for all the travel we commit to over the season. We don't hide from it and actually posted it last week on our site in a letter from our chairman to the players. With the state of the economy in the USA and sponsors becoming fewer and fewer by the day it is a necessity.

I stand corrected on the $350 comment. This is probably what Vassy was refering to. If Philadelphia can have players pay $350 in dues and still field a good, competitive team, then more power to them. Running a team isn't cheap and depending on fundraisers and sponsors as the only revenue source is dangerously unpredictable.

Choo Choo

Juniors
I stand corrected on the $350 comment. This is probably what Vassy was refering to. If Philadelphia can have players pay $350 in dues and still field a good, competitive team, then more power to them. Running a team isn't cheap and depending on fundraisers and sponsors as the only revenue source is dangerously unpredictable.

AMEN to that!

mother rucker

Juniors
Both will argue their side of the story till blue in the face.

Good guess with Rugger1213 (who if you wanna be really analytical is prob an inside/outside center for 15s or maybe a second row/lock for RL) but you are way off the mark with me...

Well partially right and partially really wrong. You are absolutely right- I will argue my points 'til I'm blue in the face because it is what I do... I'm a sports lawyer. However, sorry, no affiliation with either league directly, but I have ties to both and was going to be happy supporting both until this BAN reared its ugly head.

mother rucker

Juniors
Everyone just shut up and play rugby....
...Everyone get over yourselves, we aren't all that important.

This is a forum, Rugger, the whole idea is to talk. It is the new age version of the proverbial "soap box" and I am perfectly content staying on mine until there are answers. So, if anyone doesn't want to listen/read they can easily choose not to, or, even better, they can choose to just shut up and play.

DaBears

Juniors
Wait, I am so confused. How will the AMNRL be better by the head of the league keeping players from representing their country? Are you just talking about the two cities with both USARL and AMNRL teams? Because I am not seeing how directly excluding over HALF of the Tomahawks selected for the Atlantic Cup will better the AMNRL in any way. The only people I can see being happy about this are those guys who play for a AMNRL team and who now have a shot to be selected because the talent pool has been drained.
I never said it will make the AMNRL better.I was merely pointing out that if, hypothetically, both leagues continue & grow on their own that a great player who has potential to play for his country would/might choose to play for an AMNRL team for this reason and this reason alone. Both leagues will use whatever they have in their arsenal to be better than the other and I dont see anything wrong with that.
I like everyone else on this board have not seen a game played by the new comp as yet...so I dont know which is better. I could speculate that they'll be superior like everyone else is but I'll wait & see how they go first before commenting...may the best league win.

joshreading

Staff member
Josh, actually the Fight do ask their players to pay $350 dues

Cool, as I said earlier (quote myself :) ) "If a Club could command such a fee then they must have something pretty awesome going for them is a full squad were willing to pay such."

I guess the Fight have something pretty awesome going.

rugger1213

Juniors
This is a forum, Rugger, the whole idea is to talk. It is the new age version of the proverbial "soap box" and I am perfectly content staying on mine until there are answers. So, if anyone doesn't want to listen/read they can easily choose not to, or, even better, they can choose to just shut up and play.

It was more of a rhetorical suggestion, of course in the internet age everyone's a sage and everyone can do it better. I'm sure if you were in charge, things would be happening...

I'm actually enjoying reading grown men squabble, it's very entertaining.

RhinoCats

Juniors
Here is a good reference to rugby union in America and how the AMNRL could have benefited from the USARL. The top rugby comp in the USA is the Rugby Super League, a somewhat national comp started by a few mens club after they felt the direction of the game under USA Rugby was skewed (sound familiar?) So the RSL starts and guess what? The USA Eagles (national team) picks the best players available from both their own Div 1 comp and the RSL, why? Because a strong national team means a strong domestic game.

If the USARL want to go and do their thing to grow the game more power to them, but to punish the players for staying loyal to their clubs is a disgrace and for Niu and Vassy to do that as former players themselves is even worse. I could understand if it was a ruling handed down from some suits who didn't know the game of Rugby League and what it means to represent at that game but players know better. I have emailed the RLIF and I encourage you all to do the same.

deluded pom?

Coach
If the USARL want to go and do their thing to grow the game more power to them, but to punish the players for staying loyal to their clubs is a disgrace and for Niu and Vassy to do that as former players themselves is even worse. I could understand if it was a ruling handed down from some suits who didn't know the game of Rugby League and what it means to represent at that game but players know better. I have emailed the RLIF and I encourage you all to do the same.

Didn't Niu write on one of his WAR blogs that he would never try to stop any player representing their country as it was one of the biggest highlights of his own career? Or am I imagining things?

YANTO

Juniors
Cool, as I said earlier (quote myself :) ) "If a Club could command such a fee then they must have something pretty awesome going for them is a full squad were willing to pay such."

I guess the Fight have something pretty awesome going.

300/350 dollars is around 250 euro??
THAT is the norm for players in the Dutch rugby union clubs...even the lowest of the divisions have to pay dues of 200-250 euro per season.
Rotterdamse RC are a third class club (2nd division southwest).
Contributions (dues ) are 240 euro (335 dollars)for a senior player down to 120 euro (168 dollars) for an under 11 year old player.
http://www.rotterdamserugbyclub.nl/contributie.html

RedVee

First Grade
300/350 dollars is around 250 euro??
THAT is the norm for players in the Dutch rugby union clubs...even the lowest of the divisions have to pay dues of 200-250 euro per season.
Rotterdamse RC are a third class club (2nd division southwest).
Contributions (dues ) are 240 euro (335 dollars)for a senior player down to 120 euro (168 dollars) for an under 11 year old player.
http://www.rotterdamserugbyclub.nl/contributie.html

My sons old junior RL club is charging $100AUD for rego, insurance etc this year.
Not unusual in an amateur setting.