What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

usarl - amnrl split

Evil Homer

Staff member
All the clubs were invited to a meeting to explain Star Groups role and an update on the speculation of a pro league. This took place a year ago. Everybody got invited.

Logos - clubs were encouraged to work with Star to make their logos. Becasue some clubs started pushing in other directions David decided the clubs could do their own thing.
Also, questions were not asked in December - a letter demanding David Nius resignation was sent in Decemeber. Prior to that there was no asking.

Its comical. Its like a poor kid saying "Who is this rich uncle and why is he helping us. How dare he!" I honestly could not see a problem. If you wanted their help it was there, if not fine.

PS if you really think Pittsburgh or DC will have the same say as Jacksonville or New Haven then you really are naive.
Are you going to answer my question? How can you criticize the USARL for clubs not having an 'equal say' when there's no genuine outlet for clubs in the AMNRL to have any say at all? What evidence do you have to suggest that USARL clubs won't have an equal say, given that there is a clearly outlined democratic process in place? What procedures does the AMNRL have in place for people who disagree with Niu? Other than blacklisting and removing all ties with them of course.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
People need to ask themselves what they see anger and animosity achieving at this point.

All I see it achieving is driving people away from the game.

We now have two good comps in the US.

It's all good. Let's get on with supporting both and spreading the game - not seeing the two comps turn on each other and fight to the death.

Both comps can thrive in the massive US market and it can be win/win - or it could be lose/lose if people forget about spreading the game and turn on each other instead.

deluded pom?

Coach
Thank you for the principles in life to follow.

I am only perihperal

All the clubs were invited to a meeting to explain Star Groups role and an update on the speculation of a pro league. This took place a year ago. Everybody got invited.

Logos - clubs were encouraged to work with Star to make their logos. Becasue some clubs started pushing in other directions David decided the clubs could do their own thing.
Also, questions were not asked in December - a letter demanding David Nius resignation was sent in Decemeber. Prior to that there was no asking.

Its comical. Its like a poor kid saying "Who is this rich uncle and why is he helping us. How dare he!" I honestly could not see a problem. If you wanted their help it was there, if not fine.

PS if you really think Pittsburgh or DC will have the same say as Jacksonville or New Haven then you really are naive.

Fo someone who is only a peripheral you seem to know a lot about what's gone on.

Evil Homer

Staff member
People need to ask themselves what they see anger and animosity achieving at this point.

All I see it achieving is driving people away from the game.

We now have two good comps in the US.

It's all good. Let's get on with supporting both and spreading the game - not seeing the two comps turn on each other and fight to the death.

Both comps can thrive in the massive US market and it can be win/win - or it could be lose/lose if people forget about spreading the game and turn on each other instead.
It's not 'all good'. When we have a situation where players are being actively excluded from participation in a national team and the officially sanctioned comp is being run as a dictatorship by a power-hungry guy and his mates, there's every reason to be angry. Burying heads in the sand will achieve nothing. You're not Colin Love are you?

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
It's not 'all good'. When we have a situation where players are being actively excluded from participation in a national team and the officially sanctioned comp is being run as a dictatorship by a power-hungry guy and his mates, there's every reason to be angry. Burying heads in the sand will achieve nothing. You're not Colin Love are you?
Obviously there needs to be a compromise in the international situation - but if people playing in the AMNRL are happy with how it is being run, and people in the USARL are happy too - it's all good - and no one's business but theirs.

Choo Choo

Juniors

Mr. Knight. Please go to the USARL website and read the news posting introducing the USARL Chairman; it's Peter Illfield not Spinner Howland or Adam Hamon (both great blokes by the way). Since Peter became involved with league in the US, he has been aligned with the Philadelphia Fight. So again you’re making statements without empirical evidence. Please, Please, Please educate yourself on the facts before posting. EVERY team in the USARL has an equal say on operations according to the constitution. Yes there is a board, but it is elected by the team representatives (8, one for each team).

As always, good luck to the AMNRL and the Knights this season. The Slayers wish you only the best. BTW, are you guys interested in an interleague rival match after the season to replay last year’s round 1 match?

Play some footy

Juniors
Thank you for the principles in life to follow.

I don't have all your answers, I am sorry, but I know a couple of things.

I am only perihperal, but the AMNRL has always been as fair as any sporting organization. Teams have always had a say. I think you would be pretty naive to think the USARL will be fairer.

good job lobbying your players once again in the tomahawks side...with the exception of two guys (cunz and pope) there are no other players on the team who have played footy in the amnrl except from the bulls and knights.

1 player from last years grand final but 6 knights and 4 bulls players.

who is the selection committee for the tomahawks?

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors
The best outcome here is to see the Tomahawks get mc-smashed and it gives Niu a lot more pressure to like... be fair... and stuff...

Footyhead2

Juniors
To be fair, with the exception of the Axemen and New Haven, none of the other AMRNL teams that joined the USARL have done anything either. Because the Fight have cheerleaders doesn't make them a "top" side... and lets not forget even the Axemen have only recently won the championship and it only took what 2 or 3 ex-college/pro football players?

One of the teams that was spearheading the USARL was the Fairfax Eagles. Now that the manager of that team is moving to Texas for work, the team has folded. It shows the fragility of the teams in the US, and also leaves the DC area with only one team, the Slayers. So the Axemen and the Warriors - pen yourselves in for the Grand Final lads, because the rest are only making up the numbers.

Now a game that would be really interesting would be a Superbowl between the AMNRL premiers and the USARL premiers.

Choo Choo

Juniors
One of the teams that was spearheading the USARL was the Fairfax Eagles. Now that the manager of that team is moving to Texas for work, the team has folded. It shows the fragility of the teams in the US, and also leaves the DC area with only one team, the Slayers. So the Axemen and the Warriors - pen yourselves in for the Grand Final lads, because the rest are only making up the numbers.

Now a game that would be really interesting would be a Superbowl between the AMNRL premiers and the USARL premiers.

I think you're going to be pleasantly suprised at the level of competition this year in the USARL. From our vantage point, the Slayers don't think anyone is a lock for the grand final. IMO it was only a matter of time for the Eagles to merge with the Slayers. You can actually say that the Eagles/Slayers breakout was a good thing for DC area rugby league. It introduced at least 50 new players that would not have played the sport otherwise and now provides a great pool for the Slayers in 2011.

Bigkrug

Juniors
One of the teams that was spearheading the USARL was the Fairfax Eagles. Now that the manager of that team is moving to Texas for work, the team has folded. It shows the fragility of the teams in the US, and also leaves the DC area with only one team, the Slayers...

I would think it more aptly shows how starting anything from scratch takes time. If the manager was the gatekeeper for the team, then it would be hard to replace and transition everything that person was responsible for in only a few months. Especially given the decision to change to the new league. It would seem that no matter the comp though the team was going to fold. It also opens up a possibility of the manager starting a new team Texas expanding the USARL even further.

Latest posts