What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USARL disappointment?

Golden point

Juniors
I had very high hopes for their plans going forward after the split and gave them plenty of patience.

My key disappointments :

Not capitalising on the national teams publicity.

Not capitalizing of the recent test between NZ and England.

Not enough growth.

Now it looks like losing the world Cup.

What is going on?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I had very high hopes for their plans going forward after the split and gave them plenty of patience.

My key disappointments :

Not enough growth.

What is going on?
I’ve been hoping that the USARL/AMNRL would have kicked on and made some positive progress for well over a decade now but it never has/does unfortunately. I’ve seen various clubs team up with both NRL and super league clubs only for nothing to come of it. I’ve seen Leeds rhinos play a trial match in Florida against souths in front of 7000-8000 including Russell Crowe and again nothing comes of it. Clubs have come with big promises and excitement only for them to disappear with a whimper a few years later. All very sad and disheartening.

It’s become very clear to me now that RL will never take off in the US or Canada for that matter as a stand-alone competition. For RL to stand a chance of succeeding in North America then North American teams must compete in a already established competition/league like super league or the NRL. Toronto Wolfpack are the canary in the mine for North American RL development and it’s so far so good but they really need to be in super either by next season or 2020 at the latest before the money men start getting bored or cold feet or both.

Rugger

Juniors

My key disappointments :

Not enough growth.

What is going on?

To touch on a few of the points specifically:
  • The national team got flogged in the WC (as expected). That doesn't breed confidence in future production or warrant more exposure. There has been zero events involving the team since; nor any scheduled.
  • It was in the works for a curtain raiser match, but negotiations fell through
  • Growth = Money. There is none (money).
  • Was never confident in this as nobody actually involved in RL in the US was actually involved in this effort. As stated above, this is up to the RLIF & Moore Sports, not USARL

Last edited:

StadiumXIII

Juniors
  • The national team got flogged in the WC (as expected). That doesn't breed confidence in future production or warrant more exposure. There has been zero events involving the team since; nor any scheduled.
  • It 7was in the works for a curtain raiser match, but negotiations fell through
  • Was never confident in this as nobody actually involved in RL in the US was actually involved in this effort. As stated above, this is up to the RLIF & Moore Sports, not USARL
Agree. Not to forget there is around 150 registered players not even .001% of the country. Your only hope is for someone with money to see and like the sport enough to invest time and effort into it otherwise the USARL will just have to keep grinding away in the long haul in the hope for that breakthrough.

latingringo101

Juniors
I think it's important to remember that as the USARL has expanded, the expectations and minimal standards for USARL teams has increased. To join the national competition, teams need to meet certain standards like stadium facilities and stuff which is fair enough because to grow you need to get more professional in your set up to survive.

It's also hard because USA is massive and teams fork out a lot of $$$ to play in an 8 week season.

There's talk of a mid west and Hawaiian comp starting up so hopefully this spurs on more growth.

deluded pom?

Coach
  • It was in the works for a curtain raiser match, but negotiations fell through
On point one. The WC qualifiers are scheduled for the US later this year aren’t they?

latingringo101

Juniors
So do I. Makes you wonder why no NRL or super league pre-season trial matches have ever been tried there or a 9’s competition. Maybe even Tonga v Samoa.
Hawaii has seen QRL teams and various international teams play there over the last 6-7 years for the ohana cup in August. I think it was run by the old Hawaii RL

Latest posts