What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usman Khawaja

Hopefully he won't be left to rot in state cricket until he's 30.

I can't see that happening of the 6 top order batsman 4 of them won't last very long.

We've had conservative selectors ever since Bradman and it is probably time to start tapping on the shoulder of Hussey, Ponting and North and telling them to wind down their career to let the likes of Hughes, Ferguson and Khawaja in slowly.

would you prefer North ?

He will get his chance soon enough and I would prefer North and Hussey to both be gone in the near future and preferably after the Ashes.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen enough. The first time I ever saw him bat I was impressed with his temperament and his technique.

I think he will be something special.

If he were from the subcontinent, he would have been playing international cricket years ago.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Probably get a run when we are 3-1 down in the ashes series, and selectors looking to bring in form players

I'm not doubting his talent and really who cares what would have happened if he was from the sub-continent he probably would have debuted at 17 and finished his career at 19 but he will get his chance soon enough he isn't going anywhere.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Settle down he is only young he will get his chance he doesn't need to be rushed in but I think one of Khawaja or Ferguson needs to be blooded soon for the inevitible Hussey/Ponting retirement.

Have you seen Ferguson's first class record? Average of 35.07 from 47 matches with 4 centuries despite playing on the road that is Adelaide oval. Compare to Khawaja averaging 53.90 from 21 matches with 6 centuries. There can be no debating over who should get the nod. I cannot believe Ferguson is even in the mix.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Have you seen Ferguson's first class record? Average of 35.07 from 47 matches with 4 centuries despite playing on the road that is Adelaide oval. Compare to Khawaja averaging 53.90 from 21 matches with 6 centuries. There can be no debating over who should get the nod. I cannot believe Ferguson is even in the mix.

agree 100%

Ferguson last year (id imagine the selectors had a word to him) said he needed to score more runs in the sheffield shield to be considered for test selection.

Wow, this guy is the goods

Realistically North probably won't be dropped for the Ashes after his century here

Hopefully he slots in at no.5 for Hussey, I can't see us winning the Ashes with out current middle order

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Wow, this guy is the goods

Realistically North probably won't be dropped for the Ashes after his century here

Hopefully he slots in at no.5 for Hussey, I can't see us winning the Ashes with out current middle order

Khawaja's problem is he is on the wrong side of 30. The selectors are probably looking at him for the 2017 Ashes campaign.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hussey will retire within the next 6 months imo.

Ponting will be forced to stick around if Clarke can't find form with the bat.

North's century wasn't that good and getting out for 3 following up shows that it wasn't a form breaker.

Khawaja and Hughes should be brought back in to replace North and Hussey.

Get them settled, hope Clarke becomes more consistent and then Punter can step down.

What was Glenn McGrath's first class record when hauled in to the Australian team? From memory Michael Clarke wasn't exactly average 60 when he was called in to the test team either. I'd like to see Ferguson's average from the last 2 years that would make better reading.

beads6

First Grade
If North or Hussey were to get dropped I'd be putting Smith in at 6. Khawaja is next in line though IMO. Ferguson is after him for a middle order spot IMO. Would love both to be in the team TBH.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Those suggesting Ferguson must be smoking crack and comparisons to Warne and McGrath are just losing the plot. Ferguson has been playing First Class cricket 6 years now with fairly unspectacular performances unlike Warne and McGrath who were quite new on the scene when picked for Test Cricket and both showed quite rapid development. Let's also realise that wrist spinners generally develop later than batsmen and fast bowlers in the case of Warne.

Callum Ferguson didn't play First Class cricket in 2009/2010 due to his knee injury but consider Khwaja made 698 runs from 7 matches averaging 63, Smith 772 runs at 77 from 8 matches and Hughes 953 from 10 averaging 56 as examples of players who would be so far ahead of Ferguson in the pecking order. His team mate Michael Klinger made 886 runs at 63. Marcus North as a comparison made 294 runs from 7 matches at 24.5 but that's enough to keep him in the test team :sarcasm:

In 2008/2009 Ferguson scored 644 runs at 43 from 9 games, solid but not spectacular when lined up against SA team mates like David Harris 813 runs at 45, Graham Manou 647 runs at 46 and Michael Klinger who made 1203 runs at 71. I don't hear too many nominating these guys for the Test team.

In 2007/2008 Ferguson made 498 runs from 8 matches averaging 33.