UTC BIG SIGNING

Discussion in 'International' started by dimitri, Oct 8, 2003.

1. dimitri

dimitri First Grade

Bawden makes French switch

Bawden is a former Melbourne Storm player
    London Broncos prop Russell Bawden has joined Super League hopefuls Union Treiziste Catalane.
    The 30-year-old Australian has agreed a two-year deal with the Perpignan-based French club, who have been earmarked for a place in British rugby league's top flight in 2005.

UTC's new coach Steve Deakin, who worked with Bawden during his time as assistant coach at London in 2002, said: "The boost to the club and the squad of signing somebody of Russ' quality will help us achieve our goals."

Bawden, one of the few players to have made 100 appearances in both Super League and the NRL, said: "This is the third expansion club I have joined and, when Steve put the offer to me, I did not want to miss out."

2. In-goal

In-goal Bench

i think it's a backward step for U.T.C. i think they should be colecting all the French Juniours and some real high proffile stars.

3. joshreading

joshreading Moderator Staff Member

Baawden atleast used to be a work horse, something any team needs especially when transitionaing to Top level League. They need someone to show the French juniors how to work HARD.

4. obsulete

obsulete Juniors

and to give them some mongrel... show them how the aussies scare the poms..

5. In-goal

In-goal Bench

I think what the French club needs to do is sign all the French juniors before they are poached buy Onion.

6. Tidus_Raider

Tidus_Raider Bench

Wll this club be subject to relegation or is it guaranteed a place in the top flight?

7. Misanthrope

Misanthrope Moderator Staff Member

I agree. Snare as many talented juniors as possible (I assume they'd have more cash than their French league rivals) and try and lure away a few talented Poms and Aussies.

Take Kimmorley. Please!

Chris

8. In-goal

In-goal Bench

Well it wouldn't be such a bad destination for any player, the south of France.