What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vale Ken Thornett - The Mayor of Parramatta

The Colonel

Immortal
Sad news regarding the passing of Ken Thornett today aged 77. Have had the pleasure of meeting him in the past and talking with him. Such a lovely gentleman. Only ever seen footage of him playing.

RIP.
The Mayor of Parramatta.
Besides that he also played Water polo for Australia and went to the Olympics did he not?
Super sportsman, and very humble from all the interviews i've seen of him.
a true legend.
All the best to his family.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Worst news all year, RIP to the mayor.

An absolute legend of our club that finally made us competitve.

Eelementary

Post Whore
RIP, Ken Thornett.

I only ever saw footage of him play, but reportedly, he was THAT damn good, and a genuine gentleman.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It was amazing how he lifted out team, we were set to beat Saints that year and they were unbeatable in the 60s and I remember we shit on them at Cumberland Oval in front of a full house, kids sitting on the sideline as you could back then. Cant remember what year as I was a school kid.

He was injured in the finals and we never even made it to the GF. All he had to do was turn up to lift our team,such an inspirational player. Safest hands ever.

muznik

Juniors
Sad news & a big loss.

Played before my time but I have heard the way people talk about his prowess.
Thoughts to his family & close friends.

emjaycee

Coach
RIP Ken.
He was my father-in-laws favourite all time player and I had the pleasure of meeting him at our end of year awards ceremony a few years ago. A true gentlemen and our first real legend and champion, before these words were given out so easily by the media.

parra pete

Referee
RIP.
The Mayor of Parramatta.
Besides that he also played Water polo for Australia and went to the Olympics did he not?
Super sportsman, and very humble from all the interviews i've seen of him.
a true legend.
All the best to his family.

No that was Dick Thornett P..M....Ken WALKED on water....

parra pete

Referee
A man of vision before his time. It was he who suggested State of Origin in his 1966 book Tackling Rugby....at least 14 years BEFORE Senator Ron, and Kevin H...'thought it up"

Attachments

• Ken Thornett suggestion re SOO...in 1966, 15 years before.jpg
    Ken Thornett suggestion re SOO...in 1966, 15 years before.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 7

parra pete

Referee
The day the Parramatta District Rugby League Club became FAIR DINKUM...

Attachments

• Ken Thornett signs.jpg
    Ken Thornett signs.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 5