1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Vale Offside. The death of a penalty institution.

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Bring back John Fifita, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita Bench

2020 has seen the possible extinction of offside penalties in Rugby League.

So what has caused this...

A herculean effort by all NRL players to consistently stay behind the referee?

Whistle in the pocket?

No crowds to give “advice” to the referee?

One referee can’t cover everything?

Other?

But seriously... are fans happy to let offside infringements go to “keep the game flowing”?

If you’re neutral viewer I’d suggest yes. But if the team you’re playing is offside and stifling your attack... is it yes or no?

RIP.

2. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

We’ve unofficially gone to 8metres

some11 and blue bags like this.
  3. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita Bench

8 is close enough to 10 I suppose..

some11 and blue bags like this.
  4. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Referee

There’s idiots out there who genuinely think every teams like speed has magically improved

5. moffla

moffla Juniors

Everything you said is bang on.

But hey, as long as the game is faster and lots of points are scored!

6. Saxon

Saxon Juniors

So the 10 metres is a joke and it's ruining the game.

But Cam points it out to the ref and [email protected] and Crawler carry on like he's torn down a statue of Captain Cook.

moffla and Someguy like this.
  7. Diesel

Diesel Coach

Some teams are, others are 11-13 metres

8. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

So much for social distancing

Captain Apollo and jargan83 like this.
  9. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog First Grade

just paint lines on the field every metre

T-Boon likes this.
  10. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

This thread really should have been started by a Raiders fan. It would've just felt right.

Babyface O'reilly likes this.
  11. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

So is the offside now a problem because teams are preferring to give away a penalty than a repeat set (RS - let agree to abbreviate it to that, thanks).

Ifs so, I mean this, the solution is to ban coaches. There is no level they will not stoop to to ruin the game for their own good. Additionally the game is better off without them anyway. Its one of the few sports that would be way better at the elite level without coaches.

Fufu Andronez likes this.
  12. unforgiven

unforgiven Bench

As if that will ever happen.

13. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

I agree. However, what they could do is restrict the amount of time the coaches have with the players. I keep reading that they spend 80% of their time practicing wrestling techniques and defense - with is utterly pathetic and you would think Lord Vlandies would be trying to fix that. So reduce the amount of time the coaches can be with the players by 80% of what it currently is.
    The players can be paid full time wages, but train as if they were part time and they could be doing more useful things that practicing wrestle techniques with the rest of their time like studying or something.

14. myrrh ken

myrrh ken First Grade

Refs can't count to ten tho

15. BadnMean

BadnMean Juniors

I don't know why the touchies can't just call offside? Just call out players names or numbers to the ref to decide or just call "line" if the whole line was cheating.

We saw a couple of offside calls last night in the half I watched. I'm not sure it's all that bad right now. I could live with 8m. I joked at the start of the resumption we'd soon end up in the late 80s with no wrestling, one ref & the 5m rule as there's no way teams could go 10.

If teams are cheating now though- it will just be a full smother come finals time.

T-Boon likes this.
  16. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

You severely underestimate what coaches do... Players coaching themselves would produce absolute puss football.

17. Someguy

Someguy Bench

I think overall we are getting better football so I can live with it. The offside penalty often felt random over the last few seasons anyways.

The trends I have been noticing this season is that the Raiders seem to get away with the most in the ruck and are doing well with milking when in possession, Souths are blatantly offside nearly every tackle more so than other teams. Half of the broncos try to get onside other half don’t leading to a staggered and really easily broken line. Storm not coping well at all and look very suspect in attack when a team moves the ball to the edges.

Roosters who were previously bad for giving a penalty to stop momentum have adjusted very well to the new rules. Easily the most organised defence players scrambling into position and not showing any obvious weakness, knights doing ok in this regard also. Parramatta looking comfortable with the changes but I can see them struggling when other teams get momentum

18. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

shut up

19. siv

siv Bench

Referees who became touch judges have learnt to ignore the 10m they are supossed to monitor

20. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

I expected that we would see more policing of it with a ref on the touchline, it should be their No1 priority.