What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes NFL career

Wizardman

First Grade
https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/valen...nrl-star/075dc312-6e0f-4ac6-b489-b9be2ef0206d

The NFL dream just became a reality for Valentine Holmes.

I hope he looks good in green and white, because for the next 12 months the Cronulla, Queensland Origin and Australia star is a guaranteed New York Jet.

In an 11-week transformation which has stunned hardened NFL scouts, Holmes bumped aside some of America’s and the world’s best athletes to secure an International Pathways spot on the Jets roster.

View image on Twitter

Cameron Williams

✔@camjwilliams

https://twitter.com/camjwilliams/status/1115384894828367873

Exclusive: Val Holmes has one year deal with @nyjets. Will play all four pre season games and will then be added to 53 man roster. Or will remain with them for rest of season as their international player

8:44 AM - Apr 9, 2019

31 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Holmes took the call from the Jets at 8.30 Tuesday morning, at home in Cronulla.

He was told that he will go straight into the Jets training squad and will play in their four pre-season games.

View image on Twitter

#TakeFlight

✔@nyjets

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1115384560840249344

We've added Valentine Holmes as part of the @NFL's International Player Pathway program.

1f4f0.png
https://nyj.social/2UOdtj7

8:42 AM - Apr 9, 2019

135 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

If Valentine excels, he will win a spot in the 53-man roster. At the very least, he will remain a Jet for 12 months, training and travelling with the team as their International player; a kind of apprenticeship.

He’s a natural fit for the Jets, who are hunting for punt returners and running backs. He has been listed by the team as a "running back/wide receiver/kick returner".

Valentine Holmes runs 40-yard dash

Valentine Holmes runs 40-yard dash
Holmes’ success will dismay North Queensland Cowboy fans, who hoped he would become available to shore-up their dwindling backline reserves in the NRL this season.

He leaves for New York to begin training later this week. Holmes will be greeted by a fellow Aussie at the Jets: fourth-year punter Lachlan Edwards. Ben Graham (punter) and Hayden Smith (tight end) are other Australians who have played with the Jets.

DC_fan

Coach
Congratulations Valentine. NY is a big city, with many distractions. Lets hope he can keep his mind on football.

nick87

Coach
So that's him done for the NRL in 2019. Cutting day is usually in September so he'll be with the Jets until at least then you would imagine.
I think that was always going to be the case
I think the sharks hold his rights for this year too.

He's been allocated to the Jets, so he'll get a chance in camp, and i would think if he makes a roster, he'll stick it out for another year or so and see how he goes. If he doesnt make the cut, he'll be back and signing with the Cowboys for 2020

As a Sharks fan I hope he stays in the NFL for awhile.

I couldn’t stand seeing him in a North Queensland Cowboys jersey after those hypocrites passed on him in his junior days.

I think that was always going to be the case
I think the sharks hold his rights for this year too.

He's been allocated to the Jets, so he'll get a chance in camp, and i would think if he makes a roster, he'll stick it out for another year or so and see how he goes. If he doesnt make the cut, he'll be back and signing with the Cowboys for 2020

Yeah, I reckon you're right.

If he was ever really a chance of being back here in 2019, the Sharks would've kept the space for him imo. The fact that they went out and filled their roster showed that he had no intention of playing NRL this year.