What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vella calling time....

The Colonel

Immortal
Hull Kingston Rovers captain Mick Vella will call time on his playing career at the end of this season.
The 33-year old has enjoyed a 13-year career at first grade level, racking up almost 300 appearances including 113 in the red and white of the Robins and was named the clubs Players' Player of the Year in 2007.
Vella has captained the Robins with distinction over the past four seasons with his leadership qualities pivotal to a top four finish in 2009 and a first ever play-off victory in 2010.
The former Australian international has been a one club man both in the NRL and in Super League, with over 150 games for Parramatta Eels between 1998 and 2005 and crossed the whitewash on thirteen occasions for both clubs, reaching the 2001 NRL Grand Final with the Eels.
Vella won eleven caps for the Kangaroo's and was part of the winning World Cup squad in 2000 before touring with the Australians in 2001, and pulled on the famous New South Wales jersey in eleven State of Origin encounters.
Speaking in Thursday morning's Hull Daily Mail, the veteran said: "It's a tough decision because rugby league has been a massive part of my life.
"Coming to Hull in the first place was hard because we were leaving our families behind and I want to thank my wife Rebecca for supporting me all these years.
"I will be very sad to leave Hull where my three kids Lachlan, Will and Georgia were born.
"I will run out with them on the final home game against Castleford with my mum Joanne flying over for that game, too.
"It promises to be a very emotional day but when I look back I can always say I have captained Hull KR since 2008, a club with plenty of tradition and pride."
Rovers Chairman Neil Hudgell paid tribute to the departing Vella.
"Mick will retire as a modern day legend of the club," said Hudgell.
"He was one of the very first big names to join us in Super League from overseas and in his five years with the club he has been a fantastic leader on the pitch, and a tremendous ambassador for the club off it.
"He can look back on his career with immense pride and I'm certain every single Hull KR fan will acknowledge the massive contribution he has made during his time at Craven Park.
"Everyone at the club wishes him well for his future after rugby, and I'm sure he will get a rousing send off in the final home game of the season against Castleford."

01, Sep, 2011

http://hullkr.co.uk/vella-to-retire-at-end-of-2011-588

The Colonel

Immortal
Still remember 2001, his nose taped up like Hannibal Lecter and almost running the full length of the field to score in an absolute flogging of the Tigers...... the change in rules after 2001 really stunted his career. Coming back from the cancer scare was a big thing for him though.

J-sin

Juniors
Still remember 2001, his nose taped up like Hannibal Lecter and almost running the full length of the field to score in an absolute flogging of the Tigers...... the change in rules after 2001 really stunted his career. Coming back from the cancer scare was a big thing for him though.

Yeah, I remember there was a change to a rule after 2001 can't remember what it was though. I remember it also stunted Brad Drew's play as well. In 2001 he was probably the best hooker in the comp, but after that rule change he was never as effective at all? Could someone jog my memory as to what the change was?

MrT

Juniors
Yeah, I remember there was a change to a rule after 2001 can't remember what it was though. I remember it also stunted Brad Drew's play as well. In 2001 he was probably the best hooker in the comp, but after that rule change he was never as effective at all? Could someone jog my memory as to what the change was?

It was a big 10m

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There was the surrender tackle rule that stopped blokes diving before reaching the defensive line, and there was a reinterpretation of the 10m rule that changed where the 10 metres was taken from.

Prior to 2002 it was from where the ball was played. After the change it was taken from where the guy was tackled.

Only a small change, but considering attackers were in the habit of sneaking a few metres when getting up to play the ball, they were effectively shortening the distance to the defence. The defensive line went from 10m to about 7m in the space of one off-season.

The Roosters (Ricky Stuart) were the first to adapt (or they had the players most suited to the new rule), and because players and fans were so unused to the up-and-in defence, everybody was complaining about the Roosters being offside on every tackle.

Meanwhile we had a bunch of guys who excelled in broken play (Hodgson, Dykes, Drew) who were all of a sudden useless because defences were now moving toward them instead of backpedalling. It also hurt our small front-rowers Cayless and Vella.

The rule change f**ked us and it took 3 years to recover.

natheel

Coach
Vella was a fab of mine. I remember going to Brisbane with the 2002 squad as part of a mak a wish thing and on a bus to training Vella was trying to be the DJ and keeping everyone laughing :)

He was an absolute character

P.s that trip was great and Adam dykes was a top bloke (it was the game after hodgo hurt his ribs in that Gordy tackle mogg stepped in and had a great game for us)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
have to say apart from his first 3 or so years in first grade, the later part of his career/form with the eels was a little disappointing. He never really kicked on.

Gronk

Staff member
Great career

159 games for the Eels
113 games for Hull KR

11 games for Australia
10 games for NSW

Solid stats from a highly respected player.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Great career

159 games for the Eels
113 games for Hull KR

11 games for Australia
10 games for NSW

Solid stats from a highly respected player.

Probably suffered more than most of our forwards from that change of rule between 2001/2.

Was an absolute menace when at his best!

Probably suffered more than most of our forwards from that change of rule between 2001/2.

Was an absolute menace when at his best!

And when he could hold onto the ball.

That said, for a bloke that had a habit of dopping the ball cold, I always had a soft spot for Micky V because you knew he would put in 100% every game.

SDM

First Grade
have to say apart from his first 3 or so years in first grade, the later part of his career/form with the eels was a little disappointing. He never really kicked on.

:lol:

I agree. Some blokes retire one year too late, he retired about 10 years too late.