What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vettori

JJ

Immortal
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...on-his-team-as-international-retirement-looms

<H1>Selfless Vettori wants focus on his team as international retirement looms

JONATHAN MILLMOW
javascript:window.print(), post: "

Last updated 05:00, March 29 2015

1427537661258.jpg
Getty Images
Daniel Vettori is fully focussed on doing a job for his team in the World Cup final, not his impending international retirement.

It has to be said that Daniel Vettori is reluctant to do this interview.
Not because he is being difficult or unhelpful, quite the opposite in fact.
His concern is that the focus should be on the team and not him in the lead-up to the World Cup final.
Vettori is putting the cue in the rack after 18 years of international cricket but in stark contrast to Michael Clarke, who announced his retirement on the eve of the final, he wants as little fuss as possible.
It shapes as an emotional occasion for Vettori, but the 36-year-old bats it away.
"I'm just really looking forward to playing the game and having all my family there," he says. "They have all sacrificed so much for me for so long for me to play cricket so hopefully I can repay them."
Wife Mary, his parents and his brother and sister and their other halves will all be at the MCG.
"I don't know what my dad [Renzo] is going to do when there is no cricket to watch," he said. "He loves it. He never played growing up but he loves watching."
Vettori is not one for the farewell tour.
"For me it's about the game and the team. I don't want any focus on myself apart from the cricketing aspect and then, when it's appropriate, those things will happen. At this stage it's about the team.

"That is what Brendon [captain McCullum] and Mike [coach Hesson] have installed since they took over. Put everything aside and focus on the team."
If St Paul's Collegiate, the Hamilton City Council, Northern Districts or NZ Cricket want to do something special, they better be quick.
Vettori leaves for India on Thursday to coach Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League. His last hurrah is a mid-year playing commitment in the Caribbean Premier League.
He nearly didn't get to depart on his own terms - Achilles surgery in 2013 was effectively a visit to the Last Chance Saloon.
"Barely being able to walk and not being able to run was not conducive to playing good cricket," Vettori says his dry way.
"To get that sorted out, to be able to get back on the park, to be able to run and to get fit again was the catalyst to wanting to get back into the team.
"To have the support of Brendon and Mike all the way through has made it easy. I still had to get back on the park and I'm glad I have."
This is Vettori's fifth World Cup, and clearly his favourite.
Playing at home and reaching a stage of the tournament that he has never been to before would guarantee that, but Vettori adds the brand of cricket being played and the environment created by McCullum and Hesson makes an experience he will never forget.
"Looking back at other World Cups we've played decent cricket and probably scraped into quarterfinals and semifinals.
"This one there has been very good performances from different players the whole way along and that gives us a lot of confidence heading into it.
"It is not Brendon every game, it is not Kane [Williamson] every game, we take our turn and hopefully that is a sign of a good team."
Vettori doesn't necessarily agree McCullum is a transformed figure from the little rascal who used to light up our living rooms.
"He is and he isn't. It is good to see him grow from where he was, everyone always knew he had it in him but to get the opportunity and what he has done with that has been inspirational.
"You don't often get that leadership package of being tactically amazing and also being able to inspire everyone and also be able to be incredibly relaxed all the time.
"That is something the guys really gravitate towards and Mike balances that and stands out as well for being pretty calm and being meticulous as well."
Vettori will be a key player today.
He played a significant hand in the one-wicket victory in pool play and has an economy record at the MCG in keeping with his career.
He has played eight times at the MCG from 1997 to 2009, and though he only has eight wickets, his economy rate is 4.39.
He has 297 one-day wickets for NZ but isn't looking for any personal milestone.
"No. There is one goal that everyone wants."
- Sunday News

All class, as we expect... very fortunate to be playing at all</H1>

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I remember about 5 or 6 years back when I used to rate this bloke and I got slated by all the Kiwis here because he is apparently shit and only plays well against Australia.

Short memories.

JJ

Immortal
I remember about 5 or 6 years back when I used to rate this bloke and I got slated by all the Kiwis here because he is apparently shit and only plays well against Australia.

Short memories.

Nah, we all rate him - but not so much as a test bowler... at least not one able to bowl a side to victory, in saying that he was a one-man team while captain - captain, best bowler, best bat

vvvrulz

Coach
Vettori would have done great in Test cricket if he had a strike bowler to bowl in tandem with.
His strength would have been to tie up one end.

One of the legends of kiwi cricket.

JoeD

First Grade
Love to know how many tests they played together. My guess is 5-10 tops.

JoeD

First Grade
OK so was actually 18 tests played together and his average when playing with bond - 24 compared with career average of 34.

JJ

Immortal
OK so was actually 18 tests played together and his average when playing with bond - 24 compared with career average of 34.

That's always our issue - not enough world class players - a young Vettori would be great with this current pace attack in tests

Hutty1986

Immortal
Impossible to hate. Gutsy, classy cricketer, has earnt respect all across the world.

Great career and a great bloke.

A terrible shame he wasn't up for it physically last night. Would have been good to see him play a pivotal part in the match. Deserved a better result than that.

Juju

Juniors
Great sportsmanship but the Aussies to give him a spray when he got out. All class that team.

JJ

Immortal
Officially retired - thanks Dan - 18 of his 36 years as an international cricketer

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11425933

<H1 id=articleTitle class=articleTitle>Daniel Vettori officially retires from cricket
3:44 PM Tuesday Mar 31, 2015

SCCZEN_310315NZHVETTORI2_300x200.jpg
Daniel Vettori on his arrival at Auckland International Airport. Photo / Dean Purcell
Daniel Vettori has officially retired from international cricket.
He arrived at Auckland Airport with the Black Caps to a crowd of around 500 cheering supporters today.
He told media that the final of the Cricket World Cup was his last game representing New Zealand.
Vettori said it was a good feeling to see the supporters at the airport.
"I guess it shows how much everyone has loved the last six weeks - probably as much as we did. It's certainly not something I've seen before."
Addressing his retirement, he said finishing with a World Cup final was a "lovely way to finish."
"Obviously it would've been great to win but I'm really proud of everyone and they way we've gone about things the last six weeks," he said.

Vettori said he was grateful for the support from Brendon McCullum and Hesson and said he would "always treasure" his role in the World Cup and playing in the final.
Read more: Andrew Alderson: Fitting farewell for Vettori
It had been expected Sunday's Cricket World Cup final would be his last game of international cricket and the 36-year-old confirmed that on the Black Caps' return to New Zealand this afternoon.
It ends an 18-year career that began when he was 18. He played 113 tests and 295 one-day internationals.
In his final match, he scored nine runs and took 0-25 from five overs on Sunday which did little to nourish his record of 2244 runs and 305 wickets in ODIs.
But his 13 wickets and his remarkable economy rate throughout the tournament was instrumental in New Zealand qualifying for the World Cup final for the first time.
Vettori coaches the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League Twenty20 competition and has been linked with taking over the Brisbane Heat in Australia's Big Bash League.
- NZ Herald
</H1>