What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victims of our own success

Tony Bongo

Bench
The only victims (as far as the Storm is concerned) are their fans. They are not the victims of success but rather a complete failure on the part of their administration and perhaps even their own coach and players.
I applaud those Storm supporters that have stuck by the name of their club through all this, as I most certainly would do the same for my beloved Eels. Hats off to those that made the Journey to Parramatta Stadium the other night and a big thanks to those supporters of both clubs who demonstrated a mutual respect for each other as fans of the game.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Inglis, Folau, Cronk, Smith, Slater, Blair, Manu, Johnson, Hoffman and Webster are all Internationals produced solely by the Storm.

And lets not forget all the players on the scrap heap at other clubs we did the same for.

Sorry but Hoffman is a Weststigers junior. NSW Under 17, 19 and Australian Schoolboy.

I recall the CEO of Weststigers telling me we attempted to keep him but Melbourne paid over $100,000 for a player who hadn't played first grade. The Tigers couldn't match the offer under the cap constrants.

It is obvious now how Melbourne attracted these talented juniors. All clubs were aware of Inglis, but somehow the Storm found the money. We know how they did it.

Not one of the Storm's greatest moments.

Das Hassler

Bench
Also think about the turnaround when they were able to squeeze Brett Finch under the cap last year..do you think they would have gotten to the GF they now haven't won without him ...i'm pretty sure the Tigers would have liked to have had him to fix their halfback problems as well. I don't know how anyone could try and defend this..it's not about the cap being wrong (which it is) ..it's about this mob deciding that doing your best by the agreed rules was beneath them ..the only sympathy i have is for the kids who idolised this team of superstars

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Also think about the turnaround when they were able to squeeze Brett Finch under the cap last year..do you think they would have gotten to the GF they now haven't won without him ...i'm pretty sure the Tigers would have liked to have had him to fix their halfback problems as well. I don't know how anyone could try and defend this..it's not about the cap being wrong (which it is) ..it's about this mob deciding that doing your best by the agreed rules was beneath them ..the only sympathy i have is for the kids who idolised this team of superstars
And to think they were in the hunt for Willie Mason. Victims of their own deceit.

Micistm

Bench
The only victims (as far as the Storm is concerned) are their fans. They are not the victims of success but rather a complete failure on the part of their administration and perhaps even their own coach and players.
I applaud those Storm supporters that have stuck by the name of their club through all this, as I most certainly would do the same for my beloved Eels. Hats off to those that made the Journey to Parramatta Stadium the other night and a big thanks to those supporters of both clubs who demonstrated a mutual respect for each other as fans of the game.

Agree 100%. I feel very sorry for the fans, and respect them for standing by their club. And the majority of the players. Not all of them though, some MUST have known.
Otherwise, victims nothing. Like the cap or not, the Storm entered this comp knowing there was a cap and agreed to the conditions of it. Then intentionally over years cheated it. In any sport, or competition, if you cheat your get disqualified. Simple really.