What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Games As Movies

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
As we know, more than a fair few of games have been butchered through poor made movies, and it would appear that some of my fav games are scheduled to be made into movies in the next few years.

Question is, are you looking forward to any of these movies, very nervous about these movies butchering the games, or are there any games you think should be a movie?

Not a complete list, but some of the upcoming (2011-2013) video game releases are...

Halo
Bioshock
Metal Gear Solid
Fallout
Kane And Lynch
God Of War
Uncharted
Infamous
Just Cause
Mass Effect
The Sims
Dead Space
Gears Of War
The Suffering
Warcraft
Splinter Cell

Last edited:

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
Not a complete list, but some of the upcoming (2011-2013) video game releases are...

Halo
Bioshock
Metal Gear Solid
Fallout
Kane And Lynch
God Of War
Uncharted
Infamous
Just Cause
Mass Effect
The Sims
Dead Space
Gears Of War
The Suffering
Warcraft
Splinter Cell

Book of Eli had a very "Fallout" feel to it I reckon. I can see a Fallout movie being done though with a story line more to the video game (probably new vegas more than fallout 3).

Uncharted would be pretty standard so I wouldn't care much for it. It would be along the lines of Indiana Jones, etc. Same for Infamous probably along the lines of X-men movies too.

Kane & Lynch would be a good movie I reckon. A couple of anti heros tearing the place up with lots of blood and action.

Two movies I would like to see made from video games and if done right would be really good - Bioshock 1 and Metal Gear Solid.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As we know, more than a fair few of games have been butchered through poor made movies, and it would appear that some of my fav games are scheduled to be made into movies in the next few years.

Question is, are you looking forward to any of these movies, very nervous about these movies butchering the games, or are there any games you think should be a movie?

Halo
Bioshock
Metal Gear Solid
Fallout
Kane And Lynch
God Of War
Uncharted
Infamous
Just Cause
Mass Effect
The Sims
Dead Space
Gears Of War
The Suffering
Warcraft
Splinter Cell
is this a list of games being made into movies?

personally God of War has the potential to be epicly awesome

edabomb

First Grade
I don't really rate the crossover value in movies and games. But they do make a lot of money, which is all that matters in the end.

I cannot name one crossover where the movie/game has improved the experience of the source material.

The movie game I was most looking forward to was Heat, but that seems to have been shelved now.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
MGS could be epic, depending on who played 'Snake'.

Mickey Rourke would be badass imo.

azzah72

Bench
apparently Uncharted is being made by the guy that did three kings, mark whalberg in drake

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Anyone remember Hitman, I thought it was alright, so was the punisher.

A sims movie, wow thats bound to be crap.

Didn't mention it in my original post, but on the list of video game movies in production/development is Hitman 2.

Much like comics/books etc, video game conversions have an established market which increases the chance of making money and therefore are more likely to get funded. Sadly, they don't have to be good if there's already an audience large enough to make it profitable which is why most of them are pretty ordinary as movies.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
is this a list of games being made into movies?

personally God of War has the potential to be epicly awesome

Not the full list, but all of them are listed as in production or in development.
Whenever I think of God Of War as a movie I think of 'Clash of the Titans' on steroids.

It will be 90+ minutes of CGI effects and little else though.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Somehow I don't picture snake as a 60 y.o fat ass with sagging old man boobs.

the bloke from Avatar would be my pick

Bit of CGI can help here and there. Did you see him in The Expendables? The guy was terrifying..

Isn't 'Snake' supposed to be middle-aged'ish?

Danish

Referee
Depends which one you are focusing on.

Certainly in the first one he is not meant to be anymore than 30 IIRC.

He's also supposed to be a genetically enhances superhuman. Hiring a 60 year old just seems stupid in my books.

adamkungl

Immortal
they'll probably all be terrible. I have the most hope for Mass Effect. Also, If they ruin it I will be the most disappointed.

Caged Panther

First Grade
It's not surprising you would have the most hope for Mass Effect because of the games mentioned it undoubtedly has the story with the most depth too it.

Halo as far as I know nothing is confirmed but could be good if done right. Having seen how District 9 turned out it's dissapointing Bloomkamp never got the chance to do halo. Latest rumour has Spielberg eyeing off the rights.

I though the bioshock movie had been canned?

Not sure as Whalberg as Drake, although Deniro is rumoured to be playing Sully which I think would be awesome.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's not surprising you would have the most hope for Mass Effect because of the games mentioned it undoubtedly has the story with the most depth too it.

Halo as far as I know nothing is confirmed but could be good if done right. Having seen how District 9 turned out it's dissapointing Bloomkamp never got the chance to do halo. Latest rumour has Spielberg eyeing off the rights.

I though the bioshock movie had been canned?

Not sure as Whalberg as Drake, although Deniro is rumoured to be playing Sully which I think would be awesome.

Mass Effect worries me because of the depth of story you mentioned. Won't be easy cramming a 20-30+ hour game into 90-120 minutes while still providing enough action to keep the drones happy.

Bioshock is still on the books. It was put on hold for budget reasons as the original budget was estimated at 160 mil which made the execs a little nervous. It should be noted that Ridley Scott's Robin Hood also had similar issues before the budget was cut down to 130 mil and Halo has been cancelled twice by two different studios due to budget issues and is still scheduled to be made.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Depends which one you are focusing on.

Certainly in the first one he is not meant to be anymore than 30 IIRC.

He's also supposed to be a genetically enhances superhuman. Hiring a 60 year old just seems stupid in my books.

Tbh, my knowledge of MGS doesn't extend past the first game.

But apparently, he's 42 in the most recent release?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_Snake

I agree with the Jason Statham suggestion though..

Latest posts