What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Ref

KiamaSaint

Coach
I was watching Tomic play tennis tonight, tennis is a boring game to watch, but the one thing they have right is the referral system, mainly because hawk eye can resolve an issue in 10 seconds rather than the 3-5 minutes it takes the video refs in league decide.

Time is a big issue but it is interesting that in both tennis and cricket it is a referral system, albeit that many of the cricket commentators want to take the power away from the players to refer.

I wonder if the referral system would work in league. The referee makes an on field call and the Captains of both teams have one referral per half. A player generally knows whether he has scored or not as do the tacklers so they would only refer if they thought there was a high probability that the challenge would be successful. If successful the Captain would retain his power to refer. If the decision is inconclusive it would go back to the referee's original call, taking away BOTD (although this has now gone anyway).

The NFL have a similar system and it seems to work for them. Worth exploring in a trial match surely?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are you actually aware of the new changes to the VR system?

The on-field referee must now make his call, only sending it up to the VR if he isn't 100% sure... in which case there needs to be clear evidence to turn it over.

Besides, the variables in NRL are completely different to those of tennis.

Mr Saab

Referee
Exactly Timmmmmmah.
Tennis is black and white.....League has variables galore. Onside, knockon, grounded, obstruction etc etc

Loudstrat

Coach
The last thing any credible sport needs is to give captains the ability to overrule a referee's decision.

RWB

Bench
The main difference in Tennis, Cricket & NFL compared to Rugby League is stoppages.

Would never work in the NRL imo.

KiamaSaint

Coach
The main difference in Tennis, Cricket & NFL compared to Rugby League is stoppages.

Would never work in the NRL imo.

It may not work and you are quite right about stoppages in the NRL, that is the main problem when you have the situation there is three Video Refs decision in 10 minutes of play (not that uncommon). This would hopefully limit the amount of referrals.

In terms of obstruction, refs could still call for the Video ref input in those cases although I would suggest most defensive Captains would refer if they felt there was an obstruction.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Are you actually aware of the new changes to the VR system?

The on-field referee must now make his call, only sending it up to the VR if he isn't 100% sure... in which case there needs to be clear evidence to turn it over.

Besides, the variables in NRL are completely different to those of tennis.

I agree with tennis, but there are a similar amount of variables in cricket, NFL and NRL. It works in those other two sports. Put the onus on the captains.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i think, or at least im very hopeful, the new VR system will curve a lot of fan frustration about the system

Canard

Immortal
I don't think it ever will, Ive been following League since Wally played for Valleys and Parramatta were equal with Cronulla in premiership wins.

The officials always get blamed, at all levels in any capacity. When you delve deep into any sporting code, this is always the case.

Don't get me wrong, I think its an improvement and a good idea, but people will still whinge.

About March/April the threads will start on LU of the "is this the worst referring ever" type.

Stinkler

Juniors
As I said in another thread, it's a bad look for the referee to make a call (eg, award a try), and then refer his own decision upstairs to be reviewed. When the Video Ref overturns the original decision, the referee then looks like a dickhead.

Not sure it'll work as well as people think it will.

KiamaSaint

Coach
BTW, I was advocating for the referral system to be trialled in matches. As some posters have said, the new system may fix the problem and giving the Captain the onus may end up in a dog's breakfast. I still maintain it is worth trialling.

Canard

Immortal
As I said in another thread, it's a bad look for the referee to make a call (eg, award a try), and then refer his own decision upstairs to be reviewed. When the Video Ref overturns the original decision, the referee then looks like a dickhead.

Not sure it'll work as well as people think it will.

Happens in those other sports though, I think its just a "culture" thing, once you get used to it its not a problem.

Cricket umpires seem to be not phased by it. Our private school friends in the other code also do a similar thing.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't think it ever will, Ive been following League since Wally played for Valleys and Parramatta were equal with Cronulla in premiership wins.

The officials always get blamed, at all levels in any capacity. When you delve deep into any sporting code, this is always the case.

Don't get me wrong, I think its an improvement and a good idea, but people will still whinge.

About March/April the threads will start on LU of the "is this the worst referring ever" type.
Or if you're skeepe, before fulltime in the Raiders' R1 match v Penrith.

If not before kickoff.

Loudstrat

Coach
How much of a dickhead will the referee look if his decision is overturned by a gimp like Ennis?

You would never shut Cam Smith up whinging.
F*ck - imagine giving Grapple King and his 5 contracts a chance to overrule a referee!!!!!!