What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vietnam

roboshark

Coach
looking to travel to Vietnam in June next year for two people for one week. Where's the best place to stay. Ho Chi Minh?

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
looking to travel to Vietnam in June next year for two people for one week. Where's the best place to stay. Ho Chi Minh?

Depends what you want, really.

Saigon is a good bet for an introduction to the country; a reasonable number of people speak English (compared to elsewhere in Vietnam) and it has a lot of the more modern (ie Vietnam war) history and places like Ben Tanh market. You can also do the Cu Chi Tunnels from Saigon if that's your thing.

Hanoi is much more "Vietnam" IMO and the missus and I preferred it. Staying in the old quarter gives you a look into a much more real version of the place I reckon, and Hanoi as a city I definitely found more interesting to explore.

Plus, as mentioned above, Hanoi offers access to Halong Bay which is a must IMO. We stayed on a boat called the Halong Ginger for a night out on the bay, absolutely spectacular and seemed a hell of a lot better than a lot of the day trips.

You can also stay in various towns along the coast that are awesome, beach-vibe places. Hue, Da Nang, Na Trang and Phu Quoc (an island near Cambodia) are all popular and offer their own advantages.

TLDR-Saigon is more modern, Hanoi is probably more "authentic"

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If you’ve got a week do what we did and fly into one and out of the other, taking the sleeper trains the length of the country stopping along the way. We went for two weeks, flew into Hanoi, did an overnight trip to Halong Bay, then got the train up the Sapa in the far northwest for a couple of days, then back to Hanoi then got the train south, stopping at Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang and finishing at Ho Chi Minh city. Probably the only place I wouldn’t go again if I repeated in was Nha Trang, which is a kind of low rent Asian Gold Coast. Probably good if you like getting cheap handjobs in ”karaoke bars” though.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If you’ve got a week do what we did and fly into one and out of the other, taking the sleeper trains the length of the country stopping along the way. We went for two weeks, flew into Hanoi, did an overnight trip to Halong Bay, then got the train up the Sapa in the far northwest for a couple of days, then back to Hanoi then got the train south, stopping at Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang and finishing at Ho Chi Minh city. Probably the only place I wouldn’t go again if I repeated in was Nha Trang, which is a kind of low rent Asian Gold Coast. Probably good if you like getting cheap handjobs in ”karaoke bars” though.

Agree re Nha Trang, didn’t rate it. Otherwise loved Vietnam though, been twice, beautiful country

juro

Bench
Here is my experience of Vietnam:

Saigon is all noise and movement. It is worth visiting but hardly beautiful. I remember going to the war museum which was pretty ghastly but fascinating too. Dam Sen water park was good fun, although the rides were a bit rough. It is the natural place to base yourself if you want to explore the south. Good places to go include Cu Chi tunnels (day trip) and the Mekong delta (at least 2 day trip to see anything worthwhile).

Hanoi is a slower pace and more relaxing. I enjoyed the old quarter and the Hoan Kiem Lake. From Hanoi you can do trips to Sa Pa (my favourite place in Vietnam, up in the mountains) and Ha Long Bay (which I found too touristy).

Anywhere outside Saigon and Hanoi are much more peaceful. I loved Hue and Hoi An for the history and Da Lat for the natural beauty.

The other beach places I went to were Nha Trang and Vung Tau. Both are pretty trashy and dirty, and the water isn't very nice.

Overall, the main things I love about Vietnam are the great food and friendly people.

t-ba

Post Whore
Unless you really like the worst trash the Russian and Mainland population can throw up and Australians that make the Kuta crowd look sophisticated don't go to Nha Trang. I went like a decade ago and swore I'd never go back. On several recommendations I went back a few months ago. Regret.

I'd say pick two out Saigon, Hoi An/Hue and Hanoi and give half a week to each as a bit of a taster.

If you had more time I can't say enough of how amazing Quy Nhon is. Pretty developed town with good food options, a nice city beach and some exceptional beaches a short scooter ride away from the city.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If you’ve been to Bali, just imagine Nha Trang as Kuta, minus the surf and with manky brown water, and with obnoxious Chinese and Russians instead of Aussie bogans. If you really want to go to the beach just get a scooter when you’re in Hoi An and head to the beach there (a short ride) though the beaches really aren’t much to write home about generally. The best thing about them is being able to drink cheap beer and get a massage on the sand.

Hue and Hoi An on the other hand are like Ubud, lots of beautiful cultural sites and great food. Tailoring is a big thing in Hoi An too, you can get a whole wardrobe made to measure for not much though the quialty at most places is actually pretty ordinary. If i went back I’d go to one of their high end places for a suit, you’d probably still only be paying Kelly Country prices.

Pommy

Coach
If you really want to go to the beach just get a scooter when you’re in Hoi An and head to the beach there (a short ride) though the beaches really aren’t much to write home about generally.

We actually went by push iron it’s that close and you’re right the beaches aren’t anything special.

t-ba

Post Whore
There was a beach near Hoi An that was beautiful when I first visited a bit over a decade ago. I think they used the reef protecting for construction material or something else stupid and now it's been washed away.

Honestly Da Nang has nicer beaches than the ones near Hoi An. Best brush up on your Korean though.

Edit- It was called Cua Dai.

Latest posts