What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Villisanti an AUSSIE!

dimitri

First Grade
I'm pretty sure his birth parents were Kiwis and he has Tongan blood so is elegible for both those countries but he was adopted and raised in Canberra so is also elegible for Australia. He's a great player and whichever country he chooses will be lucky to have him.

i agree

innsaneink

Referee
ali said:
On the news tonight it sounded like he wants to play for the Kiwis. I seem to remember he was adopted, so thats why he goes by the name of Villasanti. Doesn't he speak fluent Spanish because of his adopted parents?

when asked if he'd play for aussie or NZ he beated around the bush a bit then said something along the lines of "yeh you might see me in the black n white at the end of the year"

OVP

Coach
brook said:
lol you forgot the most important detail of his career

despite showing fantastic promise under wayne pearce for balmain and the wests tigers, and being selected in the new zealand train-on side in 2000 (not selected in the final team hence still eligible for australia) he was released by the wests tigers when terry lamb took over because he 'wasn't in the plans' of the wonder-coach (Villa himself was desperate to stay with the tigers having enjoyed his stay at the club and just bought a house in balmain). Lamb refused to offer him a contract instead seeing more promise in canterbury reject and all-round dud Trent Runciman who was to be villa's replacement at the tigers.

If that once decision isn't a good enough reason to write of terry lambs coaching ability I don't know what is

its enough to make you cry - Villa is one of my fav players and i'm estatic to see him going so well but geez i'd kill to have him back home :cry:

I know its sad for a Tigers supporter like yourself, Brook , but RV will probably adore the Tigers if he actually has a house in Balmain atm ... the price of the house has probably trebled in a few short years so what a good move that was, at least :)

He's probably a millionaire already and he may not even know it :)

Oh well anyway, who is Villasanti going to replace on the Roo tour anyway ? Certainly wont be Tallis ( :roll: although i wish he did!!) and it certainly wont be Fitzgibbon. Lets hope he earns a bench spot at least, he certainly deserves that at the very least huh ? RV is in superb form, and i hope it continues :)

Southernsaint

Staff member
With Bailey & Ryles unavailable to tour, he should be going as a prop. Hence, he won't be replacing Tallis or Fitzgibbon...

Imagine the havoc that Villasanti would wreak on the Poms. The clash with Morley will be worth the price of admission alone...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Matt23

Staff member
He has decided to choose Australia, playing for NSW was obviously a factor in his decision, I'd rather have him in the team then Willie Mason.

JoeD

First Grade
Would he be a possibilty if the other regulars were available? My point is that he may go on the tour but then he might never play for Australia again. Or NSW for that matter. If he opted to play for NZ though he may continue on and play lots of tests, especially considering the age of the kiwi forward pack at the moment.

Bengal

Juniors
If the Rugby League powers-that-be had any brains they wouldn't pick Villa to play for Oz.
The international scene is crap, Australia are so far ahead of everyone else that Tests against Australia are one-sided and predictable.
Richard Villasanti playing for Australia in my opinion will just add a few more points to Aussie's scoreline. Richard Villasanti playing for the Kiwis will make for an interesting and hopefully close and exciting test match.
Contests are what I want to see, unfortunately they are just not happening on the International scene.
Our League big wigs should be endeavouring to make this (contests) happen. Here's a golden opportunity to do this.

brook

First Grade
JoeD said:
My point is that he may go on the tour but then he might never play for Australia again. Or NSW for that matter.

If Mason can Villa can - he's 10 times the player

Latest posts