What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vossy sees the light.

Rich102

Staff member
While Australian critics predict a doomed NRL season for the Warriors, rugby league commentator Andrew Voss firmly believes the side could finish in the top four.

In assessing each of the 16 NRL team's prospects and potential weaknesses heading into the upcoming season, a story on foxsports.com.au last week detailed how the Auckland-based outfit may struggle without playmaker Shaun Johnson following his off-season move to Cronulla.

"While Johnson was often scrutinised for his inconsistencies in big games, there's no doubt his departure leaves a large hole in the side's attack," the foxsports.com.au story claimed.

"I'm copping a lot of flack for it, I even had one celebrated rugby league commentator ask 'whatever I'm on he wants some' ... but I have the Warriors in the top four," Voss told the Radio Sport Breakfast.

"If I look at the competition in whole, the 16 teams, I don't have too many teams improving on what they showed us last year.

"I just think the Warriors need 10 to 15 per cent improvement and they can be an absolute contender and it's all about overcoming the loss of Shaun Johnson. Tuivasa-Sheck's still there, Issac Luke's still there, no Simon Mannering, but a terrific pack of young blokes coming through.

Although agreeing that the Warriors' success would come down to the team being able to move on from Johnson's departure, Voss said the Auckland side's back three of Tuivasa-Sheck, Ken Maumalo and David Fusitua was the best in the competition and could be key to guiding Kearney's side to the top.

"I wish Shaun Johnson was still at the Warriors but I think they're going to find a way to overcome that," Voss said. "I think their defence will be a little better, I think they learned a lot about themselves last year.

"I think the back three for the Warriors, you name me a better back three in the competition ... they're outstanding and the best Warriors I have seen over the years all started from the very first return carry.

"I just think the platform is there for this team to grow, room for potential [and] room for improvement ... there's plenty to work with there."

The Warriors are set to face the Bulldogs on Saturday night in their first clash of the season at Mt Smart Stadium.

www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12211788

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Vossy makes some cringeworthy comments sometimes. Hes like a geek hanging with the jocks when hes in there with former players.

Blair

Coach
"I think the back three for the Warriors, you name me a better back three in the competition ... they're outstanding and the best Warriors I have seen over the years all started from the very first return carry."

True, and that's a stark reminder of how badly Ken stuffed up in last year's Penrith final.

sup42

Juniors
I've got us top four, why the hell not, every tipper needs a 'I said it first' call in any comp.

They surprised me last year, I didn't have them making the eight.

I won't be caught out this time.

They are on the rise there is no two ways about it, the defensive style, the neatness of their execution under Kearney has travellled light years from where it was.

Year one we stopped dropping the ball and doing stupid things.

Year two we maintained that standard and stopped letting in Try's. We also started offloading carefully.

Take those two advances and look forward to an improved go forward this year, and you're talking a competitive NRL team.

Its a very simple game in a very simple competition.

The teams that do the simple things best win it most often.

Teams with good depth to survive the absence of key players feature near the top.

Apart from his halves, Kearney has a stack of players in every other position that he can cover for player attrition this year.

No longer is it a case of losing and SJ, a Mannering, a Luke and its game over.

If injuries are kind they will shock a lot of people I recon.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Vossys latest one last night in the Storm vs Broncos game...

"Surely they should bomb it to Vunivalu, he's got a mistake in him." Like I said - cringeworthy.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I actually respect this call.
He stood up and said what he believed would happen despite the odds.

I'd rather read this kind of opinion piece, than a typical Devlin "Black Caps won't beat India" article

Sure they're both wrong BUT at least Vossy went with more of an unlikely prediction. Devlin just stated what we all thought, but said it so matter of factly, when in deed, he was wrong!

vvvrulz

Coach
To be fair to Vossy it looked like we’d finally turned the corner last season and promised bigger things.

Latest posts