What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Panthers

spear tackle

Juniors
I must admit by the end I was just thinking it was funny. TBH the only thing that made me mad was the fact we got a last minute try, a typical thing in Warriors floggings. They deserved the zilching

That just made me speachless that Manu try, also the yukking it up at fulltime by some of our players annoyed the crap out of me. I'm pretty sure players got dropped for that in our first year, and I remember Bell venting his anger in national media at the lack of discipline and unprofesional attitude of certain players when he was captain of the side.

Iafeta

Referee
Shaun Johnson embarrassed to be be pulled.

What Getting hooked with half an hour to play in Saturday night's record thrashing at the hands of Penrith is the most embarrassing moment in Shaun Johnson's NRL career.

The 22-year-old halfback made the frank admission after being pulled from the field by coach Matt Elliott in the 49th minute of the 62-6 belting - the biggest defeat in Warriors' history.

It is the first time Johnson has failed to finish a match since his debut season, when he was benched late in games to protect his fragile frame.

The New Zealand international was furious at the decision, angrily looking up at the coach's box before being calmed down by teammate Feleti Mateo.

"Just got pulled. No injury. Just got subbed," a downcast Johnson said afterwards.

"Being a halfback, it's probably the most embarrassing thing that can happen.

"No, I wasn't too happy. But that's what happened.

"That's how it went, I've just got to move forward.

"... I got taken off in my third game.

"But that's certainly the first time like that, that early in the game as well.

"It's not the best feeling that's for sure."

Elliott refused to discuss the shock benching after the match and Johnson said he had been offered no explanation.

But Johnson said it was something he planned on talking to the coach about in the coming days.

"No [explanation]. Nothing," he said.

"Look, he made his decision. I went with it.

"And I'm sure he made it for what he felt was best for the team."

I don't see how he can't see WHY he was pulled. He should have been hooked after that diabolical kick for touch. You need to look for evidence of players not putting in, or not concentrating, not having that ruthless attitude. Johnson was tackling like a sissy girl all game prior to that, and then, when the chips were down, and we needed to get a set in their half, we get a penalty on the left edge of the field. As a total smart A moron douche with absolutely no regard for any of his other team members, he decides to kick it to the FAR side of the field, drastically decreasing the chances of kicking it out. As soon as he switched facing that way I wanted to jump through the TV screen and grab his smug face to stop him from doing it. If its obvious to all of us, why not to him?

He's got a lot of holes in his game. His defence before and after that was getting slaughtered. Lewi Brown was having a field day against him. Matty Robinson was being made to look like the second coming of Gorden Tallis against him. The tackles he completed were ones where he basically held on, got driven a mile backwards, and just before they were about to rag doll them off him, Mannering or Henry came to save him. Which is also why the second try went in. Ben Henry was so paranoid about someone running at Johnson, who wasn't putting in, that he decided to come up and play tag with Johnson, bringing Tupou in and giving Tupou no option but to come up and in. To compound things, after not kicking the ball out, the way he fell off tackling Lewi Brown straight after that was an absolute disgrace.

When I watch him play, aside from his defence, there's a lot of things he needs to work on. One is he never goes with the simple plays of turning the ball back under for his props to hit a vulnerable defender. Another is after a half break is made by the props, he never himself then takes the ball and goes to the line looking to use his stepping ability. Another is his short kicking game is probably the worst amongst halfbacks in the comp. His long kicking is generally very good. His broken field running is exceptional. And his long passing is very very good. But if he honestly thinks he is anywhere near as developed a player as he should be, he's kidding himself. He was just as, if not more talented than Daly Cherry Evans coming through NYC. He should be destroying it like he is. He's not. He doesn't take ownership. He doesn't take leadership. He doesn't bark out instructions. He doesn't have the balls of a Geoff Toovey that if his forwards aren't doing whats needed, Toovey he used to get in and show them how and then launch a massive tirade at his forwards, who soon got the picture.

Now, that's one part, what about this deplorably embarassing article. Sounds to me like more PR spin from the CEO. The smiles weren't good, but if you honestly did not know there was a rotten culture and a deplorable attitude at the club prior to Saturday night, you've got your head in the sand and your ears in the pooper. The attitude is cancerous. We've been losing close games in the last 15 minutes for a year now. Its been plainly obvious blokes don't put in. They get mentally weak. It only takes a minute or two of not concentrating and in this comp, momentum's gone and you're a shot duck. The only ones I can see week in week out busting a hump are Simon Mannering and Nathan Friend. That should tell you enough.

New Zealand Warriors players have been reprimanded for displaying a relaxed and carefree demeanour in the aftermath of one of the NRL club's "darkest days" as management react to a record loss to Penrith that has intensified pressure on coach Matt Elliott.
Images of Ben Henry and Feleti Mateo smiling on Centrebet Stadium after the Panthers' 62-6 victory in Sydney on Saturday night drew a stern response from chief executive Wayne Scurrah during a crisis meeting convened soon after the squad arrived in Auckland yesterday.
The players were summoned to the club's headquarters at Mt Smart Stadium after suffering the largest losing margin - and most points conceded - in the club's history.
That the debacle unfolded against a team coached by former Warriors coach Ivan Cleary, who was freed to join Penrith after the 2011 grand final, made the experience even more unpalatable.
Scurrah was reluctant to reveal what was discussed but said the players were told that smiling after a loss of that magnitude was not a good look.
"Whatever the reason for the facial expressions they were showing, everyone acknowledges that, after a game like that, on the field right then was not the time to show that.
"It wasn't acceptable and we've addressed it," he said.
Although Warriors fans on social media predictably reacted to the loss by calling for Elliott's removal, Scurrah said his job was secure.
"He is under no threat. Matt's had a career at the club spanning 10 games. He's had a lot of challenges with injuries and implementing a lot of changes that the board, the management and the owners saw necessary to improve our performance and become a more consistent team.
"It's clear from [Saturday night] we're not there yet but we're committed to supporting Matt and getting the result everyone's after.
"We've got a club of really talented players that are really passionate about the club. We've got a great football department, we've chucked a lot of resources into the club. We simply have to turn it around.
"We're all paid to perform and we all accept that."
Scurrah said everyone connected to the club was "obviously gutted with the result".
"No-one in the club would not say it's one of our darkest days.
"Whilst we hadn't been getting wins we'd been showing some positive signs and playing well against good teams. Certainly no-one saw this coming. Everyone in the club knows it's unacceptable.
"Our supporters and members and sponsors expect and deserve far more."
Hooker Nathan Friend sympathised with Elliott and said the players had to take responsibility for their record of two wins and eight losses.
"He tries to prepare us as well as he can. We didn't execute how we should of," he said.
"There's not much you can do up in the box, it's up to us guys on the field and we just didn't do it."
Meanwhile, the Warriors will be without lock Todd Lowrie for up to three weeks after he suffered rib cartilage damage. There was some encouraging news on the injury front, with the other Melbourne Storm recruit, Dane Nielsen, due back after his own rib problems.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8691990/Elliot-defended-Warriors-players-reprimanded

That isn't acceptable? I agree, but what about the last year of torture? Why hasn't that been acceptable? It must have been, because the only guy who got torched out of the whole debacle (and so he should have been) was McClennan. What about the players? They waltz around like everythings cool. And what about yourself? You're a liar who is also not performing. We'll get a super coach you said. ITs the lesson we learned, you said. We got Matt Elliott! None of this is Matt's fault IMO, he's come to a club with terrible leadership. You've got Owen Glenn you'd be perfect as a silent owner, instead he's taken the mickey out of rugby league by proclaiming the Warriors will be the greatest thing since sliced bread without so much as executing anything. Owners should barely be seen or heard. Get them sprinkling champagne when things are good, otherwise, butt out, or if you are involved, be there to hold the one bloke you haven't held accountable, accountable. That bloke is Wayne Scurrah. This is the guy who forced Cleary out. I can only presume his relationship with John Hart led to him leaving.

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark, and while the players smiling was deplorable, to say you've now addressed it? What about addressing all of the fans for the last year and why we've had to put up with this nonsense, while you hold one bloke accountable, accept no accountability yourself, and the players still live like calypso kings thrashing out their PS3's and not being mentally tough. The type of blokes you need at this club are Steve Price and KEvin Campion, and Ivan Cleary. Particularly Campion. Remember when he arrived? The players were shocked if he dropped a ball at training he'd drop for push ups. Who's taking that leadership now? Who's the leader of the pack who doesn't accept his own failings and makes an example out of themselves and shows the way that falling short is not good enough? And that the only way out of it is blood, sacrifice, and a hell of a lot of hard toil.

Rich102

Staff member
Good post Iafeta. I totally agree.
3 News this morning said that Scurrah was coming under increasing pressure to resign. Didn't quota a source. But where there's smoke......
I am not familiar with players wages these days. Do they get the same amount win, lose or draw? If they play Warriors or NSW cup? If so the system is flawed. No incentive to perform. And we know we can't leave it to them to play for pride or the coach.

ozbash

Referee
That isn't acceptable? I agree, but what about the last year of torture? Why hasn't that been acceptable? It must have been, because the only guy who got torched out of the whole debacle (and so he should have been) was McClennan. What about the players? They waltz around like everythings cool. And what about yourself? You're a liar who is also not performing. We'll get a super coach you said. ITs the lesson we learned, you said. We got Matt Elliott! None of this is Matt's fault IMO, he's come to a club with terrible leadership. You've got Owen Glenn you'd be perfect as a silent owner, instead he's taken the mickey out of rugby league by proclaiming the Warriors will be the greatest thing since sliced bread without so much as executing anything. Owners should barely be seen or heard. Get them sprinkling champagne when things are good, otherwise, butt out, or if you are involved, be there to hold the one bloke you haven't held accountable, accountable. That bloke is Wayne Scurrah. This is the guy who forced Cleary out. I can only presume his relationship with John Hart led to him leaving.

well said, closest you've ever come to sticking up for the Blueman :)

Micistm

Bench
I don't see how he can't see WHY he was pulled. He should have been hooked after that diabolical kick for touch. You need to look for evidence of players not putting in, or not concentrating, not having that ruthless attitude. Johnson was tackling like a sissy girl all game prior to that, and then, when the chips were down, and we needed to get a set in their half, we get a penalty on the left edge of the field. As a total smart A moron douche with absolutely no regard for any of his other team members, he decides to kick it to the FAR side of the field, drastically decreasing the chances of kicking it out. As soon as he switched facing that way I wanted to jump through the TV screen and grab his smug face to stop him from doing it. If its obvious to all of us, why not to him?

He's got a lot of holes in his game. His defence before and after that was getting slaughtered. Lewi Brown was having a field day against him. Matty Robinson was being made to look like the second coming of Gorden Tallis against him. The tackles he completed were ones where he basically held on, got driven a mile backwards, and just before they were about to rag doll them off him, Mannering or Henry came to save him. Which is also why the second try went in. Ben Henry was so paranoid about someone running at Johnson, who wasn't putting in, that he decided to come up and play tag with Johnson, bringing Tupou in and giving Tupou no option but to come up and in. To compound things, after not kicking the ball out, the way he fell off tackling Lewi Brown straight after that was an absolute disgrace.

When I watch him play, aside from his defence, there's a lot of things he needs to work on. One is he never goes with the simple plays of turning the ball back under for his props to hit a vulnerable defender. Another is after a half break is made by the props, he never himself then takes the ball and goes to the line looking to use his stepping ability. Another is his short kicking game is probably the worst amongst halfbacks in the comp. His long kicking is generally very good. His broken field running is exceptional. And his long passing is very very good. But if he honestly thinks he is anywhere near as developed a player as he should be, he's kidding himself. He was just as, if not more talented than Daly Cherry Evans coming through NYC. He should be destroying it like he is. He's not. He doesn't take ownership. He doesn't take leadership. He doesn't bark out instructions. He doesn't have the balls of a Geoff Toovey that if his forwards aren't doing whats needed, Toovey he used to get in and show them how and then launch a massive tirade at his forwards, who soon got the picture.

Now, that's one part, what about this deplorably embarassing article. Sounds to me like more PR spin from the CEO. The smiles weren't good, but if you honestly did not know there was a rotten culture and a deplorable attitude at the club prior to Saturday night, you've got your head in the sand and your ears in the pooper. The attitude is cancerous. We've been losing close games in the last 15 minutes for a year now. Its been plainly obvious blokes don't put in. They get mentally weak. It only takes a minute or two of not concentrating and in this comp, momentum's gone and you're a shot duck. The only ones I can see week in week out busting a hump are Simon Mannering and Nathan Friend. That should tell you enough.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8691990/Elliot-defended-Warriors-players-reprimanded

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark, and while the players smiling was deplorable, to say you've now addressed it? What about addressing all of the fans for the last year and why we've had to put up with this nonsense, while you hold one bloke accountable, accept no accountability yourself, and the players still live like calypso kings thrashing out their PS3's and not being mentally tough. The type of blokes you need at this club are Steve Price and KEvin Campion, and Ivan Cleary. Particularly Campion. Remember when he arrived? The players were shocked if he dropped a ball at training he'd drop for push ups. Who's taking that leadership now? Who's the leader of the pack who doesn't accept his own failings and makes an example out of themselves and shows the way that falling short is not good enough? And that the only way out of it is blood, sacrifice, and a hell of a lot of hard toil.

Well said, you should've been on Radio Sport for their League Hour this morning, instead of Budge n Co who believe you should not hurt 'Princess's' feelings by subbing him if he's shit!
There is something very seriously wrong, and seriously soft, about this team. I guess all that boot camp footage over the summer was promotional crap:lol:

Aragorn

First Grade
Having watched the game again, I didnt see anything special that the Panthers did. No razzle dazzle, great set plays or individual brilliance.

All I saw was a comedy of errors, missed-one on one tackles, and ridiculous ball handling by the warriors. The play where Fish failed to pick up the ball from a simple grubber was comical, as was the failure of Manu to ground the ball under the post. You had Carlos who looked like he'd never passed a rugby ball in his life, to TL standing 2 metres off side from the kick off. There was SJ not knowing how to kick a ball dead to Todd Lowrie giving awat pointless penalties. You had Tupou who doesnt have a clue about ball control, to Benry being made to look like Lewis Browns B8tch.

Everyone was so f**king useless it became a comical joke at the end.

No wonder they were laughing at themselves and each other after the game.

Well done Warriors, you f**king turds.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
You have to feel sorry for Johnson

The poor wee fella said this morning that he felt bad when hooked and it felt like he was being blamed for everything that went wrong in the game

Hope the boys have been giving him a nice consoling hug during the week

Bengal

Juniors
Metre eaters, metre eaters, metre eaters - the club has no go-forward. According to the RLW stats, they have the worst go-forward (platform) in the NRL and have been that way for a while now. The forwards set the platform, without it, everything else crumbles. We need metre-eaters, the current bunch simply aren't up to it anymore. Whether it be injuries, a lack of confidence or a lack of skill in the position - they're just well off the pace. Dunno if we can buy some hard-arses at this time of the year, but that's what I'll be looking for ASAP.

This team lacks confidence, arguably it's short of a decent half as well as class and experience out wide but again, everything starts in the forwards and for whatever reason, this current mob, namely the front-rowers are well behind the pace. I'd argue that at their very best they could match any team but on an average day they were just barely adequate and now that they're below par they are struggling big time.

Shaun Johnson is a top-tier player, Dan Carter is a freakish Union player but even he would look like an idiot playing behind a bunch of greatly under-performing forwards. So I say again - it all starts and ends in the forwards especially the metre-eating front-rowers.

I hear people talk about needing a good spine (hooker, half, fullback) but I say that's the second cab off the rank. Get a good go-forward first and foremost. This is the source of half our troubles, this and not being able to field our best team for a long time now, but while you can't fix the latter I really can't see why we can't do something quick smart about the former. If this club wants to move forward then for crying out loud get some go-forward forwards!!

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Metre eaters, metre eaters, metre eaters - the club has no go-forward.

For the most part, this is spot-on. People are laying into Johnson's character, but I'm glad he was p*ssed off at being benched. I'd rather that than him not really caring. Members of our pack, including some of our "Aussie Hardmen" deserved to be taken off the park before anyone else. We're not closing out games because we're not tiring opposition sides out enough. A large portion of the blame for that goes towards our lack of dominance up the middle. We repeatedly get ground down and fatigued until our defense cracks. This is in part attitudinal, but it's also due to the simple fact that we're fielding lightweights against heavyweights in some of these games.

Aragorn

First Grade
its ironic isnt it ? the media was harping on about not having our 4 prop rotation due to injury with Lillyman, Rapira & Packer.

All 4 are now back - and what a disappointment they have been.