What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs roostes

Aragorn

First Grade
mara1.jpg

Mara has the ball gripped into his hand. Leilua does not.

Mara has his wrist firmly on the ball, as does Leilua....you could also argue Leilua has his eyes on the ball while Mara doesn't... BOTD... try!

TheDMC

Bench
Basically the ref decided Mara didn't have possession, so simultaneous grounding equaled try. I thought he did have possession as his arm was wrapped around the ball by the time they hit the turf. That photo

That photo above, a couple more frames, before ball hits the ground, Mara has a lock on it, just happens Leilua has a hand in there, but its Mara's ball.

Either way, its close so not worth quibbling about too much. Plenty of rugby league rules and decisions to get much more bitter about - torso try as well as the guy sliding over hits his head on someone's shoulder gets a penalty, to name two.

Warmess

Juniors
It looked to me like Leilua was more or less always touching the ball in some way along with Mara. As the video refs couldn't see which frame each player initially touched the ball on, BOTD has to go with the attacking side. The interesting part for me is that it wasn't even a BOTD try, but our one which I thought was far more clear cut was.

jamaman

Juniors
It looked to me like Leilua was more or less always touching the ball in some way along with Mara. As the video refs couldn't see which frame each player initially touched the ball on, BOTD has to go with the attacking side. The interesting part for me is that it wasn't even a BOTD try, but our one which I thought was far more clear cut was.

Sutton tossed the coin and it was a try!:sarcasm:

vvvrulz

Coach
The Roosters got denied a try off an imaginary knock-on not long after, so it all evened out in the end. Another rubbish display of refereeing, what's going on? Hardly any ref seems to have it sorted.

vvvrulz

Coach
There was that try where Mini batted it back and the Roosters picked up the scraps, moved it wide and scored a fair try. That was denied for I think a knock on, which never happened.

Izz

Bench
There was that try where Mini batted it back and the Roosters picked up the scraps, moved it wide and scored a fair try. That was denied for I think a knock on, which never happened.
Y'reckon? I thought Mini knocked it forward into Anasta's hand which then propelled it back?

ETA: either way, i agree that the reffing is getting worse and worse. Was watching the 2008 semi v Melbourne last week and the game flowed just the same with 1 ref as it does now with 2.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
Was watching the 2008 semi v Melbourne last week and the game flowed just the same with 1 ref as it does now with 2.

I saw that game recently too, what an outstanding match that was!

Melbourne were the fortress they always are and I've rarely seen the Warriors deliver a better performance than that in their history. People love to bag the likes of Aiden Kirk, Witt and Rovelli but they are all were handy players when playing as a unit.

Agree about the refereeing, having two doesn't help when both ref like a goose.

Meth

Staff member

Clear knock on.

_addict

Juniors
Basically the ref decided Mara didn't have possession, so simultaneous grounding equaled try. I thought he did have possession as his arm was wrapped around the ball by the time they hit the turf. That photo

That photo above, a couple more frames, before ball hits the ground, Mara has a lock on it, just happens Leilua has a hand in there, but its Mara's ball.

Either way, its close so not worth quibbling about too much. Plenty of rugby league rules and decisions to get much more bitter about - torso try as well as the guy sliding over hits his head on someone's shoulder gets a penalty, to name two.
^
Good call. Agree with it all from the who did what and when, to the not really worth quibbling about

Iafeta

Referee

Yes it did. Knocked straight into Ropati. No try, no dramas in the world.

Izz

Bench
http://www.nrl.com/official-view-slater-binning-the-right-call/tabid/10874/newsid/67422/default.aspx

What were your thoughts on Joseph Leilua's try for the Roosters against the Warriors? Did he and the Warriors defender both ground the ball simultaneously?

This is probably the toughest call we have had all year. After looking at it many times in slow motion and all the different angles, we believe the decision to award a try was wrong. We don’t believe Leilua had possession of the ball, he did get his hand on the ball, but the Warriors’ player grounds it with his arm. We believe that it was the wrong call. It should have been a line dropout.

Iafeta

Referee
Didn't that video merkin give it a straight try, not even BOTD? Glad to see the referees bosses agreeing.

Skram

Juniors
Phew, good to see, I was beginning to feel I must've been viewing life with Warriors tinted lenses.