What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I saw Dazed in 94 at the ole Valhalla in Glebe one satdy arvo. I walked in sober and walked out feeling stoned as a mute. And yet I never smoked a thing that day.
There were all these stoner's waiting to get in when we walked out saying "look at these dudes they're all as ripped as us!"
Twas a special moment....
Jesus I saw a lot of great films at the Valhalla in the eighties and nineties, two special mentions: John De Florette (my favourite movie of all time) and Once We Were Kings, where a mate and I took a kid from Royal Ryde Rehab who had been a young boxer and had gone off the rails and tried to kill himself and only succeeded in breaking his neck, poor bastard, but f**k we had a good night, him in his wheelchair in the back of the Kombi, passing a joint around listening to Bob Marley, and then of course the movie.
BTW great movie Bad Boy Bubby as well.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I don't think many of them will support the team if it ain't the North Sydney Bears and is not based out of North Sydney Oval.
Totally wrong I’m afraid to inform you, I’m also happy for one game per season at North Sydney Oval against Manly as there are more than enough away Sydney games for old Bears fans such as myself.
Sure I would’ve love a Central Coast Bears team but clubs like the Roosters, Manly and Newcastle are dead against it happening and the NRL don’t need another NSW team unless some clubs fold first and with the handouts the NRL give clubs that’s never going to happen.
I’m sure that the NRL will have a clause in the NRL license that it’s Perth or nothing to make all parties make this work.
The Bears would never dog Perth how Manly dogged them, that was gut wrenching and really the NRL’s fault.
Once it was announced that the Northern Eagles’ NRL licence would go back to Manly Warringah if the joint venture failed, Ken Arthurson and Bob Fulton were rubbing their hands together plotting “how can we f**k this up to get our baby back”.
I will 100% support the Perth Bears, WA Bears, West Coast Bears, whatever it gets called.
The Perth Reds should never have been thrown out at the end of the Super League War and the Bears should never have been punted at the end of 1999 especially having just moved to the Central Coast.
The NRL can right two wrongs with this 18th team, give the West Coast of Australia a NRL team and give old Bears fans a team they can follow.

Totally wrong I’m afraid to inform you, I’m also happy for one game per season at North Sydney Oval against Manly as there are more than enough away Sydney games for old Bears fans such as myself.
Sure I would’ve love a Central Coast Bears team but clubs like the Roosters, Manly and Newcastle are dead against it happening and the NRL don’t need another NSW team unless some clubs fold first and with the handouts the NRL give clubs that’s never going to happen.
I’m sure that the NRL will have a clause in the NRL license that it’s Perth or nothing to make all parties make this work.
The Bears would never dog Perth how Manly dogged them, that was gut wrenching and really the NRL’s fault.
Once it was announced that the Northern Eagles’ NRL licence would go back to Manly Warringah if the joint venture failed, Ken Arthurson and Bob Fulton were rubbing their hands together plotting “how can we f**k this up to get our baby back”.
I will 100% support the Perth Bears, WA Bears, West Coast Bears, whatever it gets called.
The Perth Reds should never have been thrown out at the end of the Super League War and the Bears should never have been punted at the end of 1999 especially having just moved to the Central Coast.
The NRL can right two wrongs with this 18th team, give the West Coast of Australia a NRL team and give old Bears fans a team they can follow.
Dickson's "non-negotiable" demands make it impossible for this bid to work.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Dickson's "non-negotiable" demands make it impossible for this bid to work.
Spoken like a good politician, telling the fans what they want to hear, let’s see what happens when push comes to shove, when both parties are in serious negotiations, sure the Bear is non negotiable, the red and black is non negotiable, fair enough but if you look at the Perth Reds Super League Jersey 1997 there isn’t much difference between that and a Bears jersey.
Over the last 10 years in the S.G.Ball competition the Reds/Pirates and the Bears colours were very similar.
Throw in a little yellow (instead of white) with the red and and black for compromise, ready made jersey for the indigenous round lol.

Spoken like a good politician, telling the fans what they want to hear, let’s see what happens when push comes to shove, when both parties are in serious negotiations, sure the Bear is non negotiable, the red and black is non negotiable, fair enough but if you look at the Perth Reds Super League Jersey 1997 there isn’t much difference between that and a Bears jersey.
Over the last 10 years in the S.G.Ball competition the Reds/Pirates and the Bears colours were very similar.
Throw in a little yellow (instead of white) with the red and and black for compromise, ready made jersey for the indigenous round lol.

It's a sad indictment on the game that the only reason the rugby league media are taking this proposition seriously is because it's about reviving a dead Sydney club. Fans of the game outside of Sydney are treated like shit by the ARLC and News Ltd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
bears jersy.jpgWC Bears7.jpg
Home, away and heritage.

The only non negotiable for me is ownership and where the club is permanently based. As long as NS dont have majority ownership of shares and the club is based fulltime in Perth the other stuff can be negotiated.

Whats interesting is that NS claim to have investors willing to back the new club wherever it is set up. I guess those investors, including the comedian guy, will expect an ownership share for their investment? It could be NS actually end up owning very little of the club.

Centy Coast

Juniors
View attachment 70130View attachment 70131
Home, away and heritage.

The only non negotiable for me is ownership and where the club is permanently based. As long as NS dont have majority ownership of shares and the club is based fulltime in Perth the other stuff can be negotiated.

Whats interesting is that NS claim to have investors willing to back the new club wherever it is set up. I guess those investors, including the comedian guy, will expect an ownership share for their investment? It could be NS actually end up owning very little of the club.
I liked your other jerseys better and have seen some other great moke ups, the less white on the jersey the better imo.
I’m heading over to Perth in August for the NRL double header and then staying for the AFL local derby a week later.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I liked your other jerseys better and have seen some other great moke ups, the less white on the jersey the better imo.
I’m heading over to Perth in August for the NRL double header and then staying for the AFL local derby a week later.
Enjoy the trip over, as far as Ovals go Optus is a cracking stadium. The derby will be a great atmosphere, well done on getting tickets!

ground zero

Juniors
I think a Perth Bears vs Manly would be a great rivalry game played as one off those games at Optus Stadium which could possibly be play in front off 30 to 40 thousand fans each season. Not at Nso with capacity off about 15 thousand now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think a Perth Bears vs Manly would be a great rivalry game played as one off those games at Optus Stadium which could possibly be play in front off 30 to 40 thousand fans each season. Not at Nso with capacity off about 15 thousand now.
And here in lies the problem, it would mean absolutely nothing to WA RL fans. In fact Id say a game against Manly would be one of the lower drawing games in Perth.
If that scenario eventuated from a purely business point of view you'd want to be playing that game at Allianz stadium. But then the old coots in Sydney wouldn't get to wax lyrical about NS oval I suppose.
NS LC can buy it for $300k from the WC Bears and play it where ever they like.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
According to this NSO is an 8000 seater, with a further 2000 capacity for standing.

Imagine all this effort to bring back a side to play in an 8000 seat oval stadium.

Wb1234

Referee
According to this NSO is an 8000 seater, with a further 2000 capacity for standing.

Imagine all this effort to bring back a side to play in an 8000 seat oval stadium.
Cowboys played on a cow field for 20 years

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm also a Bears fan, and you're either allowing your emotions to cloud your judgment or misinformed.

There are sizeable portions of what's left of the Bear's fanbase that have made it very clear that they're only interested in supporting the Bears again if they "come back" (they never really went anywhere, but whatever) under specific circumstances. Those circumstances are different depending on the group or individual, but sizeable portions of them have made it abundantly clear that they're only interested if the Bears come back in locations such as NS, the CC, NSW, etc, among other demands.

So it's nonsense to suggest that GROTD is 'totally wrong' when he says that there are many Bears fans that won't support the club unless they're based at NSO.

Also, the idea that a team that would ostensibly be relocated to Perth, or anywhere else for that matter, would/should play any games out of Sydney is an insult to Perth and it's people, and forewarns of the Bears true intentions for the side...
Which would be totally unenforceable given the NRL's contractual commitments to broadcasters and other partners unless the NRL were willing to kick the Bears out of the League again on short notice, which is extremely unlikely in my opinion.

It's be a PR disaster, and the NRL has shown an unwillingness to enforce similar clauses in the past. The Dragons for example were contractually obliged to increase the number of home games they played in Wollongong over the years until the vast majority were played there annually. They've done the opposite and nobody has done anything to stop them, not even back when the Steelers started making tentative complaints about it.

The Bears would more or less be able to do as they pleased once they got their hands on the license, and the media and traditionalist fans would almost certainly support them if they were smart about it.
Firstly, how is it the NRL's fault that the Bears agreed to a merger where the licence would revert back to Manly's ownership if it failed? They never should have agreed to such a deal in the first place, but that's a giant tangent.

Secondly, you are extremely naive if you truly believe that the Bears wouldn't screw a partner if they thought it was in their interests and that they could get away with it. Besides, the Bears have made it clear on numerous occasions that they aren't interested in partnering with anybody in an NRL side unless they're dominant shareholders and effectively have complete control of the club.

In the case of Perth specifically they've only had contact with the WA government to discuss potential subsidies that they'd offer the Bears to base an NRL side out of Perth. In that scenario the Bears and their investors would own the club completely, and there'd be no partner to screw.
You wont have to support the Perth/WA/WC/whatever Bears, because one of the Bears non-negotiable demands is that they have complete ownership and control over the brand, and the board have made it clear to members and fans that they won't accept any significant changes to the brand.

The team will be called just 'The Bears' if they win a license for a Perth based side, and there'll be no other major changes made to the brand such as a new logo (other than potentially an update of the current logo) or colours. The board would probably face a vote of no confidence if they went back on those promises as well.
What do you mean spoken like a good politician?!

Those non-negotiables aren't nonsense sound bites that Dickson and Moore have thrown out in interviews, they're minimum standards agreed upon by the board. They're non-negotiables in every sense of the term. The Bears won't work with any potential partner that won't accept them.

Also what serious negotiations? As far as what's been made publicly available the Bears aren't in discussions with any potential business partners from Perth, i.e. they're not discussing a merger with the Pirates, split ownership with the WARL, or any other organisations or individuals, though I'm sure they'd be open to it.

As I said before the only serious discussions they've explored in Perth/WA so far are with the government. Those discussions would be exclusively about what subsides, grants, and incentives the WA govt would offer for an NRL side based in Perth, and would have little to nothing to do with branding and the such.

Last edited:
I can understand Bears fans wanting their team to return to the NRL, but I will never support their cause. They can still follow their team in the NSW Cup.

Logan Scorpions fans, such as me, lost our team in 2002. No one down south feels any sympathy for us. We had to move on and find some one else to follow or stop watching the game.

North Sydney fans who scream for the return of "The Bears" believe they're entitled to a team ahead of Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Brisbane 2. I remember the nutters filling up the comments section of news articles and The Roar a decade ago with ridiculous claims that the Bears were the next team.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I can understand Bears fans wanting their team to return to the NRL, but I will never support their cause. They can still follow their team in the NSW Cup.

Logan Scorpions fans, such as me, lost our team in 2002. No one down south feels any sympathy for us. We had to move on and find some one else to follow or stop watching the game.

North Sydney fans who scream for the return of "The Bears" believe they're entitled to a team ahead of Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Brisbane 2. I remember the nutters filling up the comments section of news articles and The Roar a decade ago with ridiculous claims that the Bears were the next team.
I'd support it under the right circumstances.

If for example the Bear were seriously considering genuinely relocating to Perth, or any other market that's been proposed, and their bid was the best on offer, then I'd happily support it.

I'd probably support it as well if they were to go into a partnership with an entity in Perth/wherever and were minority partners that effectively just lent the team their brand, feeder system, and other relevant assets.

Neither of those options, or anything similar, are on the table though, and the Bears current demands and expectations would hurt pretty much every potential NRL side that could result from the arrangement. The sad reality is that Perth doesn't need the Bears as much as the Bears need Perth, or somewhere similar, but the Bears still haven't realised that after 20 years.

taipan

Referee
And while we are at it, you hate Sydney clubs as you see them as a barrier to a Perth team, you hate pokies because they provide revenue to the Sydney clubs you hate, you hate V’landys because of his comments about perth, and you hate horse racing because you hate V’landys. Pretty simple really.
As the saying goes haters gonna hate.
I'll back any CEO/leader that gets a code successfully through a disaster like COVID circa 2020/2021.The thought of Greenberg and Gallop attempting to do so would leave me a tad shaky.

I'd support it under the right circumstances.

If for example the Bear were seriously considering genuinely relocating to Perth, or any other market that's been proposed, and their bid was the best on offer, then I'd happily support it.

I'd probably support it as well if they were to go into a partnership with an entity in Perth/wherever and were minority partners that effectively just lent the team their brand, feeder system, and other relevant assets.

Neither of those options, or anything similar, are on the table though, and the Bears current demands and expectations would hurt pretty much every potential NRL side that could result from the arrangement. The sad reality is that Perth doesn't need the Bears as much as the Bears need Perth, or somewhere similar, but the Bears still haven't realised that after 20 years.

Adelaide would benefit more from a fully relocated Bears. Perth has the right infrastructure to go it alone. Adding the Pirates and getting The Bears to relocate to Adelaide would give the game a national profile.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adelaide would benefit more from a fully relocated Bears. Perth has the right infrastructure to go it alone. Adding the Pirates and getting The Bears to relocate to Adelaide would give the game a national profile.
If you wanted to fast track Adelaide and not spend twenty years getting it ready for an nrl club of its own then yes it would make a lot more sense.

I suspect there would be a massive push back from perth if ns bears were given the perth license.
If they did it like swans and moved the club, ownership, brand change etc all to perth then it would be better received.

A fifo sydney club playing in perth would be mocked mercilessly by other sports and the media, perth is incredibly parochial.

As the saying goes haters gonna hate.
I'll back any CEO/leader that gets a code successfully through a disaster like COVID circa 2020/2021.The thought of Greenberg and Gallop attempting to do so would leave me a tad shaky.

Is your opinion influenced by Greenberg wanting to relocate the Sharks in 2018 due to the $5.5m debt they incurred?

V'landys convinced the ARLC to keep the Sharks in Sutherland.

Latest posts