What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

So what return would the WA Gov`t get on their ~ $150m investment.

* $15m annual NRL grant spent in WA every year. That`s a bloody good annual ROI just for starters, the multiplier effect would also mean that`s the equivalent of a $40m+ annual economic injection;

* All the associated employment associated with a ~$30m professional sporting organisation;

* More likely to be able to hold Indigenous, Magic, SOO and other high profile matches on a more regular basis, this would be another big injection into the local economy;

* more TV exposure for WA through television i.e tourism.

Sounds to me like a winner.
Do you honestly think WA would get behind a League team enough to make it sustainable ? Is the `Bears` name a problem ? what relevance does a grizzly bear have to a WA sporting team ?
Having said that success could paper over a lot of these problems.
In 2021 the North Sydney Leagues Club made $32million in sales and has 325 employees.

Wb1234

Referee
It would be good if we got rugby league played in the collegiate system and targeted gridiron players who miss out on the NFL. and CFL.

Canada is probably a better recruiting ground in the near future. If we get RL Nines into the Commonwealth Games it would be another carrot we can use to get Canadians to play our game.

Norths Leagues isn't rich, so it offers little money. North Shore doesn't have any juniors if we're to believe the rhetoric from Bears fans who've been whinging for 20 years. Apparently they're all playing fumbleball and queuing up at the SCG to see the Swans.

Where would the money come from to fund an extra seven teams?

If the salary cap and annual grant remain the same then we will need another $91million per annum to fund all of the teams, which is $455million over five years.

Foxtel and Ch9 don't have that money. Broadcasting 12 games per round would force the NRL to stop playing matches in separate time slots, which would reduce the amount Foxtel pay. The only I can see Foxtel and Ch9 agreeing to it is if the three FTA time slots have two games played at the same time, with one targeted at Queenslanders and the other at New South Welshmen. That would theoretically improve ratings for both companies, but it would require Brisbane 3.
The whole point of the dolphins and Perth teams are to grow the game. Part of that is new viewers

plus more games is more content to sell for broadcasters

there still Sunday 630, Monday night and sat 2 as live Time slots

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Not sure what that has got to do with what an NRL club brings to WA.
What would be more relevant is how many people are employed by an NRL club. When you consider all the different departments: admin, marketing, conditioning, coaches, etc etc. could be dozens.
That`s all people taking home a wage and spending it ( or most most it ) in the local economy. Millions and millions once it flows through the economy.
Why wouldn`t they want an NRL team.

MugaB

Coach
Yes, it’s average and NSO is worse with shit facilities. It deserves zero games. If it’s going to be packed due to the novelty of Manly vs Bears in Sydney, then take it to the SFS.
Dude i get it, NSO sucks, you're sounding like GROTD, on repeat plus its obvious you're bias due to being a manly fan... no one here is pushing NSO, most posters here are ok with the bears as the brand, WA as the locality, and a token game in Sydney, but you forget how manly were the ones who dogged a perfectly new Central Coast Stadium on the trainline, for a extremely tough to get to shithole in brookvale

Are you cherry picking a covid year just to make a bad point ? Lol
How is it cherry picking when the only year mentioned in the report is 2021?

🤦‍♂️

If you want more detailed information then you have to pay a fee.
Not sure what that has got to do with what an NRL club brings to WA.
What would be more relevant is how many people are employed by an NRL club. When you consider all the different departments: admin, marketing, conditioning, coaches, etc etc. could be dozens.
That`s all people taking home a wage and spending it ( or most most it ) in the local economy. Millions and millions once it flows through the economy.
Why wouldn`t they want an NRL team.
The one and only benefit North Sydney provides is its Leagues club as gaming machines are illegal in licenced venues across Western Australia.

I cannot see juniors from North Sydney choosing to relocate to Perth to play NRL when they've got nine teams within driving distance to choose from.

Brisbane Broncos Rugby League Club Ltd has 50 employees and generates $18.97 million in sales.

Broncos have many other businesses that operate under different names.

Brisbane Broncos Ltd has 150 employees and generates $24.94million.

Broncos have nine businesses.

Sydney Roosters Football Department have 165 employees and generate $39.35 million.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
How is it cherry picking when the only year mentioned in the report is 2021?

🤦‍♂️

If you want more detailed information then you have to pay a fee.

The one and only benefit North Sydney provides is its Leagues club as gaming machines are illegal in licenced venues across Western Australia.

I cannot see juniors from North Sydney choosing to relocate to Perth to play NRL when they've got nine teams within driving distance to choose from.
Perth red provided figures pre covid which you obviously ignores cause it doesn’t fit your narrative

MugaB

Coach
The Juniors thing seems like pure nonsense.

Do we genuinely that a Perth team would benefit from juniors in North Sydney?
I've been saying it from day dot, Perth will not work on its own, it needs a team ported there, then they'll build up from there. Its become a catch22 at the moment, and its similar in Adelaide, you need a 1st grade side to showcase and participation will then build from beneath, its already strong in perth but as far as competitive, not so much, hence why a nsw cup side can boost them as credible and a threat, rather than building a brand new franchise and get pummeled by 50 every week

Perth red provided figures pre covid which you obviously ignores cause it doesn’t fit your narrative
I provided figures from D&B because it's an independent source and easy to search. Any NRL, QRL and NSWRL club can be analysed through D&B.

I don't know where @Perth Red got his figures from. I couldn't find anything on the Norths Leagues website.

Do you have a source to verify Perth Red's claim?

If you think there's some grand conspiracy on my behalf then you've been listening too much to MugaB's insane rants.

Wb1234

Referee
I provided figures from D&B because it's an independent source and easy to search. Any NRL, QRL and NSWRL club can be analysed through D&B.

I don't know where @Perth Red got his figures from. I couldn't find anything on the Norths Leagues website.

Do you have a source to verify Perth Red's claim?

If you think there's some grand conspiracy on my behalf then you've been listening too much to MugaB's insane rants.
Go the bears !

Jamberoo

Juniors
Perth Bears has been discussed here many times before and will work.
Bears can host Manly @ NSO in a trial game.
Fitzroy’s partial move to Brisbane to from the Lions is an example of how this can work and work well.
All games in Perth.
Home jersey that evokes the Bears. Bears jersey worn in NSW..
Keep home base in NS for juniors, feeder team, family days, trials, etc.
WA lose nothing over a startup club, but gain some history, heritage, past players, Feeder club, and fans at away games. Most importantly, they gain a little soul.
There are examples of where similar moves have succeeded in Australian sport. It has worked brilliantly for Swans and Lions. Compare them to the soulless debacle that is GWS and GC Suns.
Good for Bears, Good for Perth, Good for Rugby League.

MugaB

Coach

The effort that you go to to provide "figures"
Just to throw it into everyones faces says how much of a negative nancy you are, if this was Nick Livermore and the jets bid teaming up with WA, you'd be all over it, eating it up with a spoon...
Truly a dickbag this twit it.... big bag of dicks

Funnily enough Grotd has me on ignore, yet still goes out of the way to namedrop me every chance he can... maybe time to seek help pal.. this thread is too volatile for your stress levels

reanimate

Bench
Dude i get it, NSO sucks, you're sounding like GROTD, on repeat plus its obvious you're bias due to being a manly fan... no one here is pushing NSO, most posters here are ok with the bears as the brand, WA as the locality, and a token game in Sydney, but you forget how manly were the ones who dogged a perfectly new Central Coast Stadium on the trainline, for a extremely tough to get to shithole in brookvale
I was replying to the poster who thinks games at NSO are a good idea. The bid is pushing NSO, that’s why it’s being discussed and why it’s being pointed out that it’s a bad idea. I’m aware of the failures of the merger and the breakup, it’s been a poor result for the game overall.

Perth Bears has been discussed here many times before and will work.
Bears can host Manly @ NSO in a trial game.
Fitzroy’s partial move to Brisbane to from the Lions is an example of how this can work and work well.
All games in Perth.
Home jersey that evokes the Bears. Bears jersey worn in NSW..
Keep home base in NS for juniors, feeder team, family days, trials, etc.
WA lose nothing over a startup club, but gain some history, heritage, past players, Feeder club, and fans at away games. Most importantly, they gain a little soul.
There are examples of where similar moves have succeeded in Australian sport. It has worked brilliantly for Swans and Lions. Compare them to the soulless debacle that is GWS and GC Suns.
Good for Bears, Good for Perth, Good for Rugby League.
You do realise that Western Australians hate the east coast and want to secede from Australia, right?

Wb1234

Referee
The effort that you go to to provide "figures"
Just to throw it into everyones faces says how much of a negative nancy you are, if this was Nick Livermore and the jets bid teaming up with WA, you'd be all over it, eating it up with a spoon...
Truly a dickbag this twit it.... big bag of dicks

Funnily enough Grotd has me on ignore, yet still goes out of the way to namedrop me every chance he can... maybe time to seek help pal.. this thread is too volatile for your stress levels
You do realise that Western Australians hate the east coast and want to secede from Australia, right?
Finally afl could then do internationals

if Adelaide and Tasmania secede too they can do a world cup

Latest posts