What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Iamback

Coach
Not sure what you call rich? They have over $100mill in assets and pre covid were able to spend around $4mill on sports programs and donations and still made a $750k surplus.
Their jnr sides haven't done very well in recent years but not sure if thats lack of players or lack of opportunity. Its hard to keep the best kids when there isnt a direct NRL pathway as we have found out in the West, especially when your surrounded by NRL clubs.

They are filled with mainly discards from other clubs. Different story when you are running a NRL pathways program

A wiki link , f**k me dead
There's a political party in Western Australia called WAexit. The WA Liberal Party even supported a secession motion.

Former Western Australia Premier Richard Court spoke publicly about secession in 2008.

In 2011 the Minister for Mines and Petroleum, Norman Moore, said Western Australia should secede.

A recent poll found almost 3 in 10 Western Australians want to secede.

The New York Times spoke about Western Australia wanting to secede in 2013.

There's been movements pushing for secession since the 1930s.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
And there was a Nth Qld party that wanted north qld to be a state by itself. There's lots of stupid parties. But you believe whatever you want, succession isn't talked about here.

Colk

First Grade
North Sydney absolutely can not get a single home game. If a team wants to take their home game against them there for some cash go for it but there’s absolutely no timeline where people in WA are going to cop a split custody arrangement of any form with the East Coast.

Home game splits in this comp should be made extinct not more prominent. Small time garbage.

The only time this split idea should be discussed is for bigger venues to facilitate bigger potential audiences, not to give NSO a home game.

And there was a Nth Qld party that wanted north qld to be a state by itself. There's lots of stupid parties. But you believe whatever you want, succession isn't talked about here.
People you know may not talk about it, but there's plenty of people who do. Western Australians never wanted to be part of Australia at Confederation.

Plenty of North Queenslanders want to secede from the rest of Queensland because they're sick of the revenue they generate being squandered on South East Queensland. Mayors all across North Queensland want to secede.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
People you know may not talk about it, but there's plenty of people who do. Western Australians never wanted to be part of Australia at Confederation.

Plenty of North Queenslanders want to secede from the rest of Queensland because they're sick of the revenue they generate being squandered on South East Queensland. Mayors all across North Queensland want to secede.

Is that the best you`ve got, that great fat attention seeking pig the Member for the Phillipines Christensen.
Please don`t ruin my evenings by posting pictures of that oaf where I may accidently stumble across them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I provided figures from D&B because it's an independent source and easy to search. Any NRL, QRL and NSWRL club can be analysed through D&B.

I don't know where @Perth Red got his figures from. I couldn't find anything on the Norths Leagues website.

Do you have a source to verify Perth Red's claim?

If you think there's some grand conspiracy on my behalf then you've been listening too much to MugaB's insane rants.
If you w at to look at a truer picture look at their 2019 annual report.
the LC had a revenue of $ 58.7mill and acheived a surplus of $781k
but the important bit is they spent $4.5mill on supporting rl, donations etc. that shows they have some spare cash to put towards the nrl partnership.

If you w at to look at a truer picture look at their 2019 annual report.
the LC had a revenue of $ 58.7mill and acheived a surplus of $781k
but the important bit is they spent $4.5mill on supporting rl, donations etc. that shows they have some spare cash to put towards the nrl partnership.

I just had a look at their annual report for 2019.

If I'm reading it correctly, Norths Collective made a profit of $781k in 2019, but lost $528k in 2018.

I take it the amount given to the football club, bowls club and gym is listed under Community donations, sponsorship and promotions?

Is that the best you`ve got, that great fat attention seeking pig the Member for the Phillipines Christensen.
Please don`t ruin my evenings by posting pictures of that oaf where I may accidently stumble across them.

😂

Will a video of Bob Katter, Robbie Katter and the Townsville Mayor talking about it on the news suit your tastes?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I just had a look at their annual report for 2019.

If I'm reading it correctly, Norths Collective made a profit of $781k in 2019, but lost $528k in 2018.

I take it the amount given to the football club, bowls club and gym is listed under Community donations, sponsorship and promotions?

😂

Will a video of Bob Katter, Robbie Katter and the Townsville Mayor talking about it on the news suit your tastes?
And in 2016 they made a profit of $2.4mill. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make? It’s clear they have a substantial asset base and are earning enough money to be able to chip in at least $1mill a year to an nrl partnership.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Perth Bears has been discussed here many times before and will work.
Bears can host Manly @ NSO in a trial game.
Fitzroy’s partial move to Brisbane to from the Lions is an example of how this can work and work well.
All games in Perth.
Home jersey that evokes the Bears. Bears jersey worn in NSW..
Keep home base in NS for juniors, feeder team, family days, trials, etc.
WA lose nothing over a startup club, but gain some history, heritage, past players, Feeder club, and fans at away games. Most importantly, they gain a little soul.
There are examples of where similar moves have succeeded in Australian sport. It has worked brilliantly for Swans and Lions. Compare them to the soulless debacle that is GWS and GC Suns.
Good for Bears, Good for Perth, Good for Rugby League.
Fitzroy didn't partially move to Brisbane, nor did they merge with the Brisbane Bears in the traditional sense like is commonly assumed (in fact they didn't technically merge with them at all). What actually happened is that they went into receivership then most of their assets were sold to the Brisbane Bears against their will, but with the AFL's support. Their preference was to merge with North Melbourne, but that is an aside.

The current Fitzroy FC in Melbourne is basically a phoenix club built from the ashes of what was left of the old one and that that was not sold to Brisbane, and it took a lot of work for Brisbane to get them and their fans onside (which was probably only possible because Fitzroy blames the AFL and Ross Oakley first and foremost for their downfall, not Brisbane). To this day they are only partners in the loosest sense and they have no influence over the AFL side whatsoever.

North Sydney aren't offering Perth such a deal, nor would they ever offer such a deal. They would demand representation on the board, they would demand games be played in Sydney annually, and they would demand a say in the day to day running of the club.
Those circumstances would not be good for Perth or RL, and Perth doesn't need the Bears history or identity because they have their own and should have the right to try and forge their own path.

Furthermore, the Swans relocation to Sydney isn't analogous to what Norths are offering Perth in the slightest either, and GWS and the Suns have not struggled because of a lack of history and 'soul'. They've struggled because there was no demand for their product in their target markets and are slow burn long-term investments.

The Great Dane

First Grade
And in 2016 they made a profit of $2.4mill. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make? It’s clear they have a substantial asset base and are earning enough money to be able to chip in at least $1mill a year to an nrl partnership.
TBF, a mill or two a year is chump change in the NRL.

Their 2021 financials listed revenue at $45million, which makes me wonder if they're including money just from the North Sydney Leagues Club or combining it with Seagulls, The Greens and all of their other businesses.

The number stated on D&B was $32million for 2021 and on that page it said North Sydney Leagues and under it was The Greens, which would suggest it's combining the income from the Leagues Club and Bowls Club to get to $32million.

If that's the case then where did the other $13m come from?

Seagulls Leagues only makes $200k.

They must be making a lot from the gym. If that's the case then all the Pirates need to do is open up a shitload of gyms.

Canard

Immortal
Fitzroy didn't partially move to Brisbane, nor did they merge with the Brisbane Bears in the traditional sense like is commonly assumed (in fact they didn't technically merge with them at all). What actually happened is that they went into receivership then most of their assets were sold to the Brisbane Bears against their will, but with the AFL's support. Their preference was to merge with North Melbourne, but that is an aside.

The current Fitzroy FC in Melbourne is basically a phoenix club built from the ashes of what was left of the old one and that that was not sold to Brisbane, and it took a lot of work for Brisbane to get them and their fans onside (which was probably only possible because Fitzroy blames the AFL and Ross Oakley first and foremost for their downfall, not Brisbane). To this day they are only partners in the loosest sense and they have no influence over the AFL side whatsoever.

North Sydney aren't offering Perth such a deal, nor would they ever offer such a deal. They would demand representation on the board, they would demand games be played in Sydney annually, and they would demand a say in the day to day running of the club.
Those circumstances would not be good for Perth or RL, and Perth doesn't need the Bears history or identity because they have their own and should have the right to try and forge their own path.

Furthermore, the Swans relocation to Sydney isn't analogous to what Norths are offering Perth in the slightest either, and GWS and the Suns have not struggled because of a lack of history and 'soul'. They've struggled because there was no demand for their product in their target markets and are slow burn long-term investments.
All good points, also combined with the fact that it's been 25 years (a generation in football) terms since the Bears were a a NRL team.

At this point we might as well be talking about resurrecting the Newton Jets as a NRL side.

For some reason the Bears have friends in the media that run these stories every few years.

It's boring and baseless, like the annual Shane Warne is coming out of retirement story or Anthony Mundine will come back to League (f**king Paul Kent was writing that article even when he was 42 years old!)

Wb1234

Referee
Their 2021 financials listed revenue at $45million, which makes me wonder if they're including money just from the North Sydney Leagues Club or combining it with Seagulls, The Greens and all of their other businesses.

The number stated on D&B was $32million for 2021 and on that page it said North Sydney Leagues and under it was The Greens, which would suggest it's combining the income from the Leagues Club and Bowls Club to get to $32million.

If that's the case then where did the other $13m come from?

Seagulls Leagues only makes $200k.

They must be making a lot from the gym. If that's the case then all the Pirates need to do is open up a shitload of gyms.
Wow they really own a lot of businesses don’t they.

go
Bears

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interestingly the north Sydney region has around 900 registered players at 8 clubs players compared to over 3000 in WA at 26 clubs.

Last edited:

Latest posts