What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Colk

First Grade
How many people are in the Pirates Supporters group?

Do the members of the Pirates Supporters group represent the average Western Australian?

You're an Englishman who grew up in a rugby league stronghold before immigrating to Perth as an adult. The way you're looking at this isn't how a born and bred Western Australian sees it.

Mate, a song was made about Western Australians wanting to secede and in the lyrics it says "don't give a shit about the NRL".

That's the response the Bears would get from the average Western Australian when they're asked to invest in a Sydney club that wants to retain a link with Sydney.

You're just ranting and raving like a lunatic now because the evidence doesn't support your fantasy.

You’re using evidence of a song from a fumbleball commentator, so that is probably not the greatest use of evidence to support your view (bias etc). In any case, born and bred Western Australians aren’t your target market, at least initially. Your target market would be those that have migrated from elsewhere and then you build that support up from there.

Based on the totality of your view, a Perth side wouldn’t work in any shape or form, whether it be the Bears or otherwise because RL would be considered an east coast thing. Nevertheless, I understand that there are obvious concerns and I share a few of yours - there is too much talk from the North Sydney element - you need to follow the example of the Lions/Swans for this to work)

Wb1234

Referee
You’re using evidence of a song from a fumbleball commentator, so that is probably not the greatest use of evidence to support your view (bias etc). In any case, born and bred Western Australians aren’t your target market, at least initially. Your target market would be those that have migrated from elsewhere and then you build that support up from there.

Based on the totality of your view, a Perth side wouldn’t work in any shape or form, whether it be the Bears or otherwise because RL would be considered an east coast thing. Nevertheless, I understand that there are obvious concerns and I share a few of yours - there is too much talk from the North Sydney element - you need to follow the example of the Lions/Swans for this to work)
Shhh let him keep posting these links it’s hilarious

maybe he doesn’t know commetti is a fumbler

this is his whole argument why the bears shouldn’t be connected with Perth

siv

First Grade
The big black bear is

back on the road again
Back on the road again

You know how the song goes

Everyone sing with PVL

about 1300

no way of knowing, and is there such as thing as an avg west australian? If you mean the majority I can only go on what evidence we have seen so far, which is people are not opposed to the idea

You cant say that as you dont how the avg West Australian is seeing it (if such a thing exists!)

I've lived in Perth 22 years and NEVER heard anyone seriously suggest succeeding would be a good idea, in fact I cant even think of anyone who has ever raised it in a conversation! Every community has its lunatics, you seem to keep finding ours lol
It wouldn't be the sort of thing that is brought up regularly in general conversation and would only be taken seriously by people with extreme views, but it is symbolic of the parochialism that's present among Western Australians, hence the reason it's been discussed by politicians and businessmen across Western Australia. The Liberal Party drawing a motion on it a few years ago suggests there's more than fringe support for the idea and proves there's discontent among locals about how they're treated by Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and the ACT. There was a massive backlash in 2020 when Brisbane was given the fumbleflag over Perth and it played right into the animosity Western Australians have over being treated like second class citizens. The proposal to give Bears two games at NSO, and the cheerleading from the Sydney-centric media about how great it will be to have them back in the competition, only validates the suspicions that Western Australians have about the "east coast".

How much attention has this proposal gotten from the local press?

Didn't you say the other day that Western Australians are more insular tham Queenslanders?

The only way to appeal to insular communities is to play on the "us vs them" attitude that brings them together. Bears aren't doing that.

The person singing the song wasn't Dennis Commetti, or whatever his name is. I believe the fact there's been serious talk about secession and a song was made about it using the name of a famous Western Australian fumbleball commentator, with a reference about not giving a shit about NRL proves any expansion into Perth will only work if it's the Pirates and owned by local businessmen.

Do you think Victorians would have gotten behind a Sydney team that played two matches each year in Sydney?

Wb1234

Referee
Grotd should really have a talk to the wa premier and tell him he’s wrong to be supporting this bid since most of his citizens are more worried about starting their own country

imagine Perth seceded and joined Singapore. Then we could have an nrl team in Singapore

Colk

First Grade
The person singing the song wasn't Dennis Commetti, or whatever his name is. I believe the fact there's been serious talk about secession and a song was made about it using the name of a famous Western Australian fumbleball commentator, with a reference about not giving a shit about NRL proves any expansion into Perth will only work if it's the Pirates and owned by local businessmen.

Do you think Victorians would have gotten behind a Sydney team that played two matches each year in Sydney?

I agree with you on this. They shouldn’t play any ‘home’ games in Sydney as it doesn’t make sense. If other teams want to play the Bears at NSO for their home games then that’s a different story but not as a Bears home game. This is why it needs to be done like the Swans or Lions in fumbleball to work.

If you really want this to work the Bears could play a majority of their away games in NSW (that gives the old Bears fans plenty of opportunity to see them) whilst their 12 home games in Perth could be played against the QLD sides, Melbourne, NZ, Canberra. The only Sydney sides you would play twice is high grossing Sydney sides in any case

gallagher

Juniors
How many people are in the Pirates Supporters group?

Do the members of the Pirates Supporters group represent the average Western Australian?

You're an Englishman who grew up in a rugby league stronghold before immigrating to Perth as an adult. The way you're looking at this isn't how a born and bred Western Australian sees it.

Mate, a song was made about Western Australians wanting to secede and in the lyrics it says "don't give a shit about the NRL".

That's the response the Bears would get from the average Western Australian when they're asked to invest in a Sydney club that wants to retain a link with Sydney.

You're just ranting and raving like a lunatic now because the evidence doesn't support your fantasy.
Oh there's a song too? So a song, a party that got 7000 votes, a wiki page and an article in the New York Times. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm convinced.

I agree with you on this. They shouldn’t play any ‘home’ games in Sydney as it doesn’t make sense. If other teams want to play the Bears at NSO for their home games then that’s a different story but not as a Bears home game. This is why it needs to be done like the Swans or Lions in fumbleball to work.

If you really want this to work the Bears could play a majority of their away games in NSW (that gives the old Bears fans plenty of opportunity to see them) whilst their 12 home games in Perth could be played against the QLD sides, Melbourne, NZ, Canberra. The only Sydney sides you would play twice is high grossing Sydney sides in any case
The problem with that is it forces non-Sydney teams to travel even more while four Sydney teams sit on their arse at home. I'd send all nine Sydney clubs to Perth along with Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane to play on the animosity that Western Australians have towards these cities.

No game should be played at NSO now that we have SFS, Parramatta Stadium, Brookvale and Penrith Football Stadium rebuilt.

gallagher

Juniors
The problem with that is it forces non-Sydney teams to travel even more while four Sydney teams sit on their arse at home. I'd send all nine Sydney clubs to Perth along with Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane to play on the animosity that Western Australians have towards these cities.

No game should be played at NSO now that we have SFS, Parramatta Stadium, Brookvale and Penrith Football Stadium rebuilt.
If only that animosity existed 🤡

T-Boon

Coach
the Bears is a great name/brand it would be a perfect fit provided they aren't trying to get a foot in the door and then move games back to North Sydney.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade

I get where you are coming from, however, if you are going to have the Bears as this WA team, you need to have the games where the support is going to be which will be NSW and WA

Oh there's a song too? So a song, a party that got 7000 votes, a wiki page and an article in the New York Times. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm convinced.
You're entitled to be a delusional smartarse, but it doesn't change the fact there's mainstream support for secession among Western Australians. Don't take my word for it. Go look at a poll from 2020 and the response from WA politicians.

Survey shows one in four West Aussies want to split from the rest of Australia
Pip Christmass
7NEWS
Published: 06/10/2020
Updated: Wednesday, 16 December 2020 8:39 AM AEDT

First there was Brexit - now there’s WAxit.

One in four West Australians wants to secede from the rest of the country, according to a new survey from market research group Utting.

The research showed that 28 per cent of the 3,500 West Australians surveyed wanted to see the state become its own country.

Labor MP Patrick Gorman called the survey results “deeply concerning”.

This poll shows those in the eastern states need to understand the secessionist undertones which have always existed in WA,”
he told The West Australian.

“The tyranny of distance between Perth and Canberra often leaves West Australians feeling isolated and ignored by our east coast allies, fuelling the discussion.”

Five electorates

The polling was conducted in five different state electorates.

Approximately 35 per cent of men and 21 per cent of women wanted WA to secede.

The demographic most supportive of the idea is aged between 40 and 59, the research reveals.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
You're entitled to be a delusional smartarse, but it doesn't change the fact there's mainstream support for secession among Western Australians. Don't take my word for it. Go look at a poll from 2020 and the response from WA politicians.

Survey shows one in four West Aussies want to split from the rest of Australia
Pip Christmass
7NEWS
Published: 06/10/2020
Updated: Wednesday, 16 December 2020 8:39 AM AEDT
First there was Brexit - now there’s WAxit.​
One in four West Australians wants to secede from the rest of the country, according to a new survey from market research group Utting.​
The research showed that 28 per cent of the 3,500 West Australians surveyed wanted to see the state become its own country.​
Labor MP Patrick Gorman called the survey results “deeply concerning”.
This poll shows those in the eastern states need to understand the secessionist undertones which have always existed in WA,” he told The West Australian.​
“The tyranny of distance between Perth and Canberra often leaves West Australians feeling isolated and ignored by our east coast allies, fuelling the discussion.”
Five electorates
The polling was conducted in five different state electorates.​
Approximately 35 per cent of men and 21 per cent of women wanted WA to secede.​
The demographic most supportive of the idea is aged between 40 and 59, the research reveals.​
Yeah market research is way more accurate than a state election. 7000 out if 2.6 mill.......

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah market research is way more accurate than a state election. 7000 out if 2.6 mill.......
Well to be fair if the people of wa want more reason to seceede all they have to do is read grotd posts then they will want to get as far away as possible. Heck they may even build a wall between them and Queensland

heck I think we nswmen need to build a wall too up in the tweed to be safe

gallagher

Juniors
Well to be fair if the people of wa want more reason to seceede all they have to do is read grotd posts then they will want to get as far away as possible. Heck they may even build a wall between them and Queensland
I'm waiting for him to post a Betoota article....

Latest posts